Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,319 Members 53,239 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] ADB Message Notification Center - Instant Desktop Notifications

Tip us?

DJKMan
Old
(Last edited by DJKMan; 16th April 2014 at 03:27 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Info 2 [APP] ADB Message Notification Center - Instant Desktop Notifications

--==ADB Message Notification Center==--
Formerly ADB SMS Notify

Click image for larger version

Name:	Notify.JPG
Views:	1137
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	2186677

ADB SMS Notify has been completely revamped to run much better now.

*April 10, 2014*

--Download:
ADB Message Notification Center.zip

--Changelog:
- Support for custom user created profiles for easily supporting new applications
- Support for custom icons per notification type
- Custom notification messages (Make it your own!)
- Work in progress GUI for managing ADBMNC
- Support for MMS confirmed (the now outdated ADB SMS Notify also supports MMS as well)
- Combines Radio and Logcat and only uses what is needed to keep memory resource low
- Fun info: This tool also happens to work just fine in Linux running under WINE. Your mileage may vary though. A python version is in the works however.

This tool is also very helpful for developers as you can easily and quickly configure what you want to watch in the logcat with just two lines in the settings file and you'll instantly get a desktop notification.The settings file looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom Settings.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	2688805

--Configuration HOW-TO:

This configuration file allows you to easily add support for more applications or, if you're a developer, watch for a specific event. The idea is if you want to add support for your favorite application such as WhatsApp, Facebook, or whatever, you can share your configuration with others and expand the functionality of this app.

-Icons:
Here's an icon set to use to start you off: Icons.zip

1) The left side is the actual icon name you will use. This must be in the same directory as the executable. ADBMNC supports icos and pngs. Feel free to test for other formats if you like.

2) The right side is the match. In the example above, "< SMS_ACKNOWLEDGE" is the event that is shown in the log when a new SMS or MMS message is being received.

The Icon section is optional. The default will be "Notify.ico" if no icon is set.

-Radio:
The left side is the message to display.
The right is the string to match to trigger the notification.

Everything in the Radio section will only match in the logcat output of "adb radio"

-Logcat
The same as Radio except only matches output in adb logcat -v.

--To Do:

- Add support for regex matching to allow even more robust notifications
- Complete Windows GUI
- More customizable options such as fonts and color
- user configurable events (to launch a custom application on the desktop side or launch an intent on the android side)
- Finish work on python version to support Linux and Mac OS X (visit my github to see the progress)
- Auto updater to keep in sync with the latest updates
- Support for ADB over wireless
- Handle multiple devices gracefully
[Features that will require root are listed below and will be optional and opt-in only]
- Read text messages and display the message content and recipient instead of "New SMS Message"
- Reply to text message via desktop
- Compose new messages via desktop

What is this? (see below)
*Legacy Version and Information Below*

Hello all! I've been following XDA silently (as in never posted anything) and finally decided to contribute something small and hopefully embark on a journey of becoming part of the community. I wasn't able to post this topic under the development section as I did not have enough posts so forgive me if this is the incorrect place. (*This thread was originally in General Discussion)

Let's move on and get to the point! When I'm at work I tend to leave my phone on silent, therefore, I constantly find myself checking to see if I have a new message. I decided to create this small and simple program that notifies me on the desktop instead. This can be easily customizable as well as adapted to any other useful applications such as launching a program or the likes whenever you receive an SMS message. (I haven't tested with MMS).

This takes advantage of the adb radio log. So, every time you get a new SMS message, a box slides out to notify you. Simple. I should note that the desktop notification is MUCH faster than your phone.

I tested it with a Samsung Galaxy Note (quincyatt) running on Jellybean CM 10.1 but it should theoretically work with any phone.

Great! How do I use it?
Step 1) Enable USB Debugging
Step 2) Extract zip and run program. Done! No root or permissions are required.

Note: The program is designed to restart itself in the event you unplug your phone so feel free to unplug your phone as many times as you like. If people find this useful, I plan to add wireless support via ADB over wifi so you no longer have to keep it plugged in to receive notifications.

I have attached the source code for those who are wary of running an executable as I have no reputation here yet at the time of this writing. Compile it using AutoIt and you should be good to go. I hope this helps anyone out there!

--Latest Version of ADB SMS Notify:
V3:
SMS Desktop Notification V3.zip
TextPlus Desktop Notification V3.zip

SMS Desktop Notification Source V3.zip
TextPlus Desktop Notification Source V3.zip

--Archive:

--Change Log
*LATEST UPDATE March 1, 2014*
- Uploaded project to github
- Working on implementing configuration so users can share configuration files to support more apps

*September 24, 2013*

- Reduced CPU and memory usage from around 50% CPU and 3MB of RAM down to 2% or less of CPU and 756KB of RAM
- Slight cosmetic changes to Tooltip (Hover over the icon in the task bar to see)

*September 3, 2013*

As requested by Ph0enix_216, I have added TextPlus support. Currently, I have kept them separate as to not waste resources checking something you're not interested in. If you want to have a combination of both then let me know.

*Thank you justmpm for taking notice and moving this thread to the correct place!
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to DJKMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DJKMan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
No comments? Opinions?

---

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717
The Following User Says Thank You to DJKMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

simonekamikaze
Old
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME
Perfect app... Will try it

Inviato dal mio GT-P7320 con Tapatalk 2

DJKMan
Old
(Last edited by DJKMan; 27th August 2013 at 09:23 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
I hope it helps!

I have updated it to V2.

Changelog
- Minor touchups
- Prevent duplicate instances from running
The Following User Says Thank You to DJKMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ph0enix_216
Old
(Last edited by Ph0enix_216; 28th August 2013 at 01:05 AM.)
Thanks Meter 89
This seems interesting. Would it work on a tablet running an app such as TextPlus?

>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.3... Or maybe it's a rooted Kindle Fire HD running ChameleonOS<<

Phone: ZTE Valet Z665C
ROM: Stock
Kernel: 3.4.0-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT
Android Version: 4.1.1
Recovery: Stock
----------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD
ROM: CyanogenMod 11
Kernel: Fastcharge!
Android Version: 4.4

Recovery: PhilZ Touch CWM Advanced Edition

hexanite
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Very cool app. Maybe more people would see it under the android apps section.

DJKMan
Old
(Last edited by DJKMan; 4th September 2013 at 12:41 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph0enix_216 View Post
This seems interesting. Would it work on a tablet running an app such as TextPlus?
I'm glad you like the idea! To answer your question, it currently cannot as it only reads from the radio log (I.E. cellular log). It may be possible however if TextPlus provides enough details in the log cat output. I'll investigate and see if it's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexanite View Post
Very cool app. Maybe more people would see it under the android apps section.
Thank you! Perhaps this topic will be moved to the appropriate place by a mod in the future.

---

DJKMan
Old
(Last edited by DJKMan; 4th September 2013 at 12:19 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
I have updated the first post to support TextPlus users. Enjoy!

Edit: The icon could use a makeover. If anyone is interested in designing/contributing an icon for the notification please feel free to do so.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJKMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ph0enix_216
Old
(Last edited by Ph0enix_216; 4th September 2013 at 04:49 AM.) Reason: Grammar Nazi
Thanks Meter 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKMan View Post
I have updated the first post to support TextPlus users. Enjoy!

Edit: The icon could use a makeover. If anyone is interested in designing/contributing an icon for the notification please feel free to do so.
Awesome! Thank you. Definitely gonna use it with TextPlus. Maybe I'll take a shot at creating an icon (Any excuse to play with GIMP ).

>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.3... Or maybe it's a rooted Kindle Fire HD running ChameleonOS<<

Phone: ZTE Valet Z665C
ROM: Stock
Kernel: 3.4.0-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT
Android Version: 4.1.1
Recovery: Stock
----------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD
ROM: CyanogenMod 11
Kernel: Fastcharge!
Android Version: 4.4

Recovery: PhilZ Touch CWM Advanced Edition

DJKMan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Sounds good!

I should note that the notification for TextPlus will work assuming you have the pop up quick reply enabled. If this is an issue, please let me know.

---