Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[TUT][L5] complete guide - installing custom roms on jellybean!

OP dev-DaT

14th August 2013, 12:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 111

282 posts
Hello everybody and welcome to my second guide for how to get root, unlocked bootloader, CWM, and finally installing the roms for our precious LG optimus L5! (e610,12 and 17)

Let's start!

If you are still on android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich, follow my other guide: ICS GUIDE

ALL in one!

So for rooting Jellybean i haven't found a proper root method yet, so that means we are going to flash a pre-rooted kdz file!
In this case this pre-rooted kdz file also contains unlocked bootloader and CWM so this is much easier.

1. Download kdz updater (attatched below)
2. Be sure to first install msxml.msi or else you will get crash during the update process.
3. Download the all in one kdz file, this contains firware version 20D Baltic with root, unlocked boot and CWM recovery. (comes in all languages)
4. Make a backup of your phone, contacts etc. (optional)
5. Once you downloaded everything, take your phone out of your pocket and turn it off.
6. Hold the "-" volume button and connect your phone with your pc (make sure you have all the drivers installed)
7. Now your phone should be in emergency/download mode
8. Now we are going to install the new firmware, open up KDZ_updater.exe and set the type to: 3GQCT and phone mode to DIAG
select the kdz file you just downloaded (20d+root + cwm.kdz) and click "launch software update".
9. KDZ updater will probably crash, this is normal, that means that it is finished the last code you will see is something like "wparam: 100"
10.If everything went well your phone should reboot and launch in the new firmware. Download "superuser" from Playstore.

When your phone is bricked you can just follow these steps again to unbrick your device.

Installing custom roms

1. Download the custom rom you want and place it on you phone. (Preferred on external SD card)
2. To install custom roms you have to go into CWM (clock work mod). you can enter CWM by going into terminal and type "su" and then "reboot recovery" OR turn your device off, then press volume"-" + home button + power button until it vibrates and shows LG logo then release only power button and keep pressing both of the others for about 8 seconds then release.
3. While you are in CWM you can navigate with the + and - volume buttons and the power button is enter.
4. Before you install any new rom, wipe everything from your phone by going to "mounts and storage menu" --> format /cache, /data and /media, /system, /sdcard, then wipe the dalvik cache under the advanced tab. If you don't do this you can get problems!
So now you can select your customrom.zip and press the power button, your rom will now install. after it is installed you can reboot your phone and if you did everything right your phone should boot into your new rom, the first boot can take a long time sometimes.

Some custom roms for jellybean:
CM10.1
CM10.2
JellyBeer

If you want a ICS based rom like cm10 or MIUI you first have to flash v10 baseband attatched below.

Happy Flashing!
Attached Files
File Type: zip v10Baseband.zip - [Click for QR Code] (9.89 MB, 1277 views)
File Type: 7z KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.7z - [Click for QR Code] (2.35 MB, 1709 views)
Last edited by dev-DaT; 10th January 2014 at 08:59 PM.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to dev-DaT For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th August 2013, 11:48 AM   |  #2  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 34

95 posts
More
oh thank god. there is still development for our little l5. thanks you very much. gonna test asap
15th August 2013, 08:22 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 225

523 posts
More
This method does not work for all L5 devices. LG L5 E617G users should follow this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2392762

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
15th August 2013, 10:27 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

282 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffMcBigHuge

This method does not work for all L5 devices. LG L5 E617G users should follow this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2392762

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

I thought that that rooting method didn't work for android 4.1.2

Sent from my LG-E610 using xda app-developers app
15th August 2013, 10:37 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 225

523 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dev-DaT

I thought that that rooting method didn't work for android 4.1.2

You're right. The E617G does not have 4.1.2 with stock anyways, only 4.0.3. Please disregard my post.

I meant to post this in in the ICS thread, where it states that there is no unlocked bootloader support for the E617, which is false.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BuffMcBigHuge For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th August 2013, 01:43 AM   |  #6  
Flag La Chorrera
Thanks Meter: 22

52 posts
More
Key combination for recovery is (if I'm not wrong cause it sometimes fails just keep trying) volume"-" + home button + power button until it vibrates and show LG logo then release only power button and keep pressing both of the others for about 8 seconds then release.

Sent from my LG-E612 using xda app-developers app
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LuiizFenix For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th August 2013, 10:24 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

282 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffMcBigHuge

You're right. The E617G does not have 4.1.2 with stock anyways, only 4.0.3. Please disregard my post.

I meant to post this in in the ICS thread, where it states that there is no unlocked bootloader support for the E617, which is false.

Yeah true, thats because i made that tutorial a long time ago, i shall edit my old thread

The Following User Says Thank You to dev-DaT For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th August 2013, 11:30 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 2

15 posts
Thumbs up
Test working! Thank you very much. Have been looking for LG L5 root for quite a long time.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiizFenix

Key combination for recovery is (if I'm not wrong cause it sometimes fails just keep trying) volume"-" + home button + power button until it vibrates and show LG logo then release only power button and keep pressing both of the others for about 8 seconds then release.

Sent from my LG-E612 using xda app-developers app

CWM working perfectly. Key combination is exactly what you described.
The Following User Says Thank You to rickychew87 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th August 2013, 02:26 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

15 posts
Phone is not detected in computer after flashing pre-rooted kdz file.
The Following User Says Thank You to rickychew87 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th August 2013, 09:19 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

282 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickychew87

Phone is not detected in computer after flashing pre-rooted kdz file.

It should be... Are you sure you installed all the drivers? Maybe usb debugging helps your pc detecting your phone?

The Following User Says Thank You to dev-DaT For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cwm, guide, jellybean, root, unbrick
Previous Thread Next Thread