Driver instal with WinXP
I went around with this problem after both my Win7 laptop and WinXP desktop both recognized my N7 2013 the first time I connected to them. I had no problem dragging and dropping files.
I had then returned the tab back to BB for a exchange for another. This time after setting up the tab and setting the MTP file toggle and USB settings correctly......The Win7 laptop worked find and recognized the N7 just like it did on the first tab. But now the WinXP desktop did not work and only saw the N7 as a ABD device.
You may already have the correct drivers (if not those are available here in several posts). You just have to direct windows driver update to the correct place for the MTP driver. Here is how i did it.
1. Open up the Device Manager on your PC and locate the Android device it sees. Select the update driver option and you get to the "Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard" screen.
2. In this window it asks "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?" Select the 3rd option ' No, not at this time"
3. In the next window "This wizard helps you install software for...." Select the 2nd option "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
4. In the "Please choose your search and installation options" window... go down to the bottom and select "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install" option.
5. Now finally the window we need..... "Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware" The "show compatible hardware" button should be selected...if not check that box. You should see 2 choices in the "Model" area..... Google Nexus ADB Interface" and what we need to select " MTP Device" click on the MTP Device and hit next......it should install and your Nexus 7 should then show up properly.
Hope this works for all that have had a hard time as I did....I just found it odd after getting a replacement N7 my XP desktop did not recognize it as it did to the original one I used the day prior.