Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,274 Members 46,017 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEV] - Dual-boot Linux on the Asus Infinity TF700t - JB-4.2[Thread closed]

Tip us?

workdowg
Old
(Last edited by workdowg; 9th May 2014 at 10:29 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 395
Default [DEV] - Dual-boot Linux on the Asus Infinity TF700t - JB-4.2[Thread closed]

This was the development thread for the "Dual-boot Linux on the Asus Infinity TF700t - JB-4.2" (now called "Kexecboot Linux on the TF700t").

Any and all developments are in Kexecboot Linux on the TF700t here

JoinTheRealms source is up here https://github.com/JoinTheRealms/TF7...oot-stockbased.
LG G3 - VS985 - Rooted and Rockin' Stock
LG G2 - Debloated Stock Kitkat VS980 4G VZN - Wife's
GT-P1010 - Karmic6 - The kids now
(Screen is dead - But still using) Acer Iconia A200 - JellyTime_R3
Asus Transformer Infinity TF700t (nvflash) - CROMi-X - _that10+(kexecboot to many Linux flavors...)
ASUS MeMO Pad HD 7 - Stock (For now) - The wife's...

Android ROM's, Linux on Android (native and chroot),
Linux News and more
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to workdowg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

workdowg
Old
(Last edited by workdowg; 8th May 2014 at 09:11 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 395
Default KEXECBOOT with CROMBi-KK

These files are for those who want to kexecboot using CROMBi-KK 4/3, 4/27 or CROMi-X 5.4running on internal sd (NO rom2sd, f2fs or data2sd) with the "stock" _that9-oc+ (cm112 is modded by lj20036). You must have a good running CROMBi-KK install because i am not including the modules needed, only the zImage and initrd.img I extracted from the 4/3 zip file. CROMi-X should also be running stable. You will be flashing _thats newest _that9oc+ using his installer.

THIS IS VERY SIMPLISTIC IT ASSUMES YOU KNOW WHAT ALL THE FOLLOWING MEANS AND HAVE EITHER DONE THE KEXECBOOT WITH EARLIER CROMI VERSIONS OR HAVE COMPLETELY READ COGANO'S TUTORIAL

Also remember DO NOT use the regular rootfs installers. The regular installers will install a JellyBean kernel and render your tablet unusable. Only use the one of the following to extract your rootfs to the tablet:

arch-rootfs-installer-v.1.zip

lubuntu-rootfs-installer-v.1.1.zip

ubuntu-rootfs-installer-v.1.1.zip

All of the following is done on your tablet

1) Android
a) Mount /system r/w and make dir /system/boot
b) - Extract that-cm112-kexecboot-android.zip to /system/boot/ for 4/3/2014 CROMBi-KK Release
- Extract that-cm112-kexecboot-android-4272014.zip to /system/boot/ for 4/27/2014 CROMBi-KK Release
**** FOR CROMi-X flash _thats9oc+ kernel in TWRP and reboot into CROMi-X and then extract that9oc-kexecboot-android-05082014.zip to /system/boot/
c) Mount mmcblk0p5 and modify/copy your boot.cfg in /mmcblk0p5/multiboot to include CROMBi-KK at least to start (at least you will get back into Android ) - Example config - boot.cfg
2) Linux
a) Mount your Linux image and extract _that-linux-kexec.zip to /boot
3) Flashing the kexecboot blob
a) Extract kexec-host.zip to a temp dir, cd into it and then carefully type the following as root:
Code:
dd if=blob of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4
Reboot and profit!

Credits:
rabits
JoinTheRealms
moreD_cn
_that
lj50036
cogano
and many more
Asus Transformer Infinity TF700t (nvflash) - CROMi-X - _that10+(kexecboot to many Linux flavors...)

Linux News and more

JoinTheRealms
Old
(Last edited by JoinTheRealms; 7th November 2013 at 10:33 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1070
Default Installer/ kernel guide

Ill be keeping this post updated as much as possible with the latest stuff to save people crawling through multiple threads

-Installer-
The installer is an Aroma package responsible for extracting the linux distros filesystem(compressed into a .lzma file) into a virtual image (.img), you can define the size of this image with the installer. It also prepares and flashes a kernel and initrd based on the preferences you define within the installer.

Downloads:
Version 6.5: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oksatawl4w...tallerV6.5.zip (Hunds 3.3.6 based)
Version 6.8: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0q01ijw1vk...tallerV6.8.zip (Stock based, patches from _thatv5)

Note:

Code:
-As of 03/10/2013 the kernel in the installer is up to date, i wont be updating the kernel inside the installer anymore.
-Only Stock based ROMs are supported in the installer (Stock, Cromi 4.x, Cromi 5.x etc).

-Kernels-
We now have a flashable .zip (I stole _that's), To flash a .blob file the best method is using dd. From terminal emulator or adb shell, run "dd if=*name of blob* of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4" (obviously without quotation marks and replace *name of blob* with the file name)

Downloads:
Stock based(blobs):
--Stock/ _that https://www.dropbox.com/s/86o9vt3b10digqr/blob04 0.4
--Hundsbuah https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2waysfz3bzaqy4/blob04 0.4
Stock based(zip)
--Stock/ _that https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndasx56839...hat_based2.zip 0.4
--Hundsbuah https://www.dropbox.com/s/nh6s3yvmk1...nds_based2.zip 0.4

Changelog:

Code:
Version 0.1
-enabled cleancache
-testing cm10.2 dualboot
Version 0.2
-Added a repair (e2fsck)to main init menu
Version 0.3
-Another initrd update, better repair, streamlined the kernel selection, added a option to choose
 the default OS, started adding support for kexecboot.
Version 0.4
-Some more init tweaks and updated kexecboot binary

Source:
https://github.com/JoinTheRealms
https://github.com/moreD

-MISC-
Some fixes and improvements

Suspend Workaround
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...22&postcount=6

Backlight Control
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:indicator-brightness/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install indicator-brightness
Overclock Management(only for Hundsbuah kernels)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkqhog4gjq...tar.gz(extarct to /home)

Install XBMC
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e21vys5a0c...installxbmc.sh

Credits
rabits (For his original init scrits and installer)
Hundsbuah (For his kernel and help)
_that (For his kernel and help)
moreD_cn (For fixing everything)
workdowg (for his rootfs's)
And lots more+
My Devices

---------------------SmartPhones-----------------------------------|
Nexus 5
*MultiRom: Omni,SlimKat and Ubuntu-Touch

LG Optimus x4 HD
*OmniRom
-----------------------Tablets------------------------------------------|
T100TA 64gb
*Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 14.04

TF700 64gb
*Cromi 5 / Ubuntu 13.04 Dualboot

TF300T 32gb
*Xubuntu 14.04

TF101
*Lubuntu 12.04
-----------------------T.V Sticks--------------------------------------|
MK908(TV Stick)
*Ubuntu 12.04
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JoinTheRealms For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

moreD_cn
Old
Thanks Meter 72

DONATE TO ME
Hey guys you're doing great jobs!

since there's a dev thread and i've got enough posts to reply here I think I'll reply here from now on

As i won't have much time for at least a month, I'll focus on building a kexec kernel for linux.

@JoinTheRealms mentioned that after removing wakelocks screen left blank while waking up. I looked into it yesterday but didn't find any solution it seems to relate to something about tegradc and earlysuspend I tried disabling and then re-enabling tegradc.0 (the one for LVDS) the issue appeared with wakelock support. but i cannot figure out how to resolve it.
another thing is bcmsdh_sdmmc keeps waking up my device regularily even without wakelock. however if I use rfkill to block wifi and bluetooth before suspending it works fine. it suspended for over 30k seconds without waking up last night

since we're having problem disabling wakelock, I have an idea that should we just leave it enabled and write a pm daemon for linux to control power state? actually i've implemented a basic one and it works as expected.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moreD_cn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JoinTheRealms
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreD_cn View Post
Hey guys you're doing great jobs!

since there's a dev thread and i've got enough posts to reply here I think I'll reply here from now on

As i won't have much time for at least a month, I'll focus on building a kexec kernel for linux.

@JoinTheRealms mentioned that after removing wakelocks screen left blank while waking up. I looked into it yesterday but didn't find any solution it seems to relate to something about tegradc and earlysuspend I tried disabling and then re-enabling tegradc.0 (the one for LVDS) the issue appeared with wakelock support. but i cannot figure out how to resolve it.
another thing is bcmsdh_sdmmc keeps waking up my device regularily even without wakelock. however if I use rfkill to block wifi and bluetooth before suspending it works fine. it suspended for over 30k seconds without waking up last night

since we're having problem disabling wakelock, I have an idea that should we just leave it enabled and write a pm daemon for linux to control power state? actually i've implemented a basic one and it works as expected.
Are able to post your pm daemon? Id love to give it a try, any attempts of me writing c code usually end in disaster .

Im still trying to fully understand this wakelock stuff ( when im daring enough im gonna start reading this), im guessing something in the linux userspace is holding wakelocks, explaining why it immdatly wakes up again?

I actually successfully got the system to suspend then wakeup with a script with wakelocks enabled, it simply put the device to sleep and 30 seconds later echo'ed on > /sys/power/state like 20 times with a 2 second delay lol no idea how this worked.
My Devices

Nexus 5

LG Optimus x4 HD
*OmniRom
T100TA 64gb

TF700 64gb

TF300T 32gb
*Xubuntu 14.04

TF101
*Lubuntu 12.04
MK908(TV Stick)
*Ubuntu 12.04
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoinTheRealms For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

moreD_cn
Old
(Last edited by moreD_cn; 19th August 2013 at 01:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 72

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoinTheRealms View Post
Are able to post your pm daemon? Id love to give it a try, any attempts of me writing c code usually end in disaster .

Im still trying to fully understand this wakelock stuff ( when im daring enough im gonna start reading this), im guessing something in the linux userspace is holding wakelocks, explaining why it immdatly wakes up again?

I actually successfully got the system to suspend then wakeup with a script with wakelocks enabled, it simply put the device to sleep and 30 seconds later echo'ed on > /sys/power/state like 20 times with a 2 second delay lol no idea how this worked.
My daemon depends on a patch which providing "current power state" so i've modify it a bit. I think it's easy to understand.. but with very limited functions. note that press power button over a sec for force wake up.

looks like that sometimes it was kept from suspending by userspace wakelocks but it also occured that a wifi interrupt wake suspended device up. still don't know why but disable wifi before suspend seems to resolve it.

EDIT: seems i've made a mistake please redownload source file...
EDIT2: I've re-uploaded one that supports lid open/close event
Attached Files
File Type: c pm.c - [Click for QR Code] (3.4 KB, 100 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moreD_cn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

workdowg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 395
To Do:
- Modify installer for rootfs only - workdowg?
- Kexec
- Multiboot?

Linux News and more

workdowg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 395
@JoinTheRealms - CROMi-X 5 is right around the corner... Are we going to be ok with the kernel. I have to check but I think sbdags stock and Hunds are using a new base... I may just try CROMi-X beta3 to see what's up (if it boots with yours). I'm kind of looking forward to checking out the fixed dock power drain issue and trying the cache2sd though, so I may stick to his stock for a couple days...

Linux News and more

JoinTheRealms
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by workdowg View Post
@JoinTheRealms - CROMi-X 5 is right around the corner... Are we going to be ok with the kernel. I have to check but I think sbdags stock and Hunds are using a new base... I may just try CROMi-X beta3 to see what's up (if it boots with yours). I'm kind of looking forward to checking out the fixed dock power drain issue and trying the cache2sd though, so I may stick to his stock for a couple days...
Kernel should be fine, I cant find any new kernel source from Asus. I doubt they changed much that would affect us, but we will see
My Devices

Nexus 5

LG Optimus x4 HD
*OmniRom
T100TA 64gb

TF700 64gb

TF300T 32gb
*Xubuntu 14.04

TF101
*Lubuntu 12.04
MK908(TV Stick)
*Ubuntu 12.04

yoda-sama
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by workdowg View Post
Can you elaborate on this dock power drain issue? I'm curious if it describes a problem I've been having since upgrading to 4.2.