Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,322 Members 50,523 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Chrome only sees Cast when wired to Router

Tip us?

mogul420
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default Chrome only sees Cast when wired to Router

Hello everyone.

I've been trying to cast from my laptop but I don't see it (No Cast Devices found). I'm able to cast effortlessly from my Android device though.

Now, after poking here and there I tried connecting my laptop directly to the router and then Chrome detected my cast device.

Any idea of what it could be? This may be the wrong forum to post this but not even Google Support has figured out what's wrong.

Thanks!
_______

** Current **
Samsung Galaxy S4

** Retired **
Dumb: QCP-2760, Kyocera CDM180, Moto Star-Tak, Samsung SGH-A107
Smart: HTC Mogul, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre, HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO 3D, Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S3

thwmax
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I have the same problem, obviously I don't know how to fix it

sic0048
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Do you have a dual band router that is broadcasting 2.4 and 5 ghz signals? I've read of people having issues when the Chromecast uses 2.4 and your computer is trying to connect via the 5ghz network. Personally I have iPads and my Android phone connecting over 5ghz while my Chromecast is on 2.4 and don't have any problems. But perhaps it is a router issue. I use a WAP running DD-WRT, so it is better than most OEM routers out there.

bozzykid
Old
Thanks Meter 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
Do you have a dual band router that is broadcasting 2.4 and 5 ghz signals? I've read of people having issues when the Chromecast uses 2.4 and your computer is trying to connect via the 5ghz network. Personally I have iPads and my Android phone connecting over 5ghz while my Chromecast is on 2.4 and don't have any problems. But perhaps it is a router issue. I use a WAP running DD-WRT, so it is better than most OEM routers out there.
There should not be an issue with connecting on different bands unless you segregate the 5ghz band on your router. Most routers are not setup to do that but if you have made changes, it is possible.

mogul420
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
I checked the AP isolation thing before posting. So it wasnt that. I also flashed DD-WRT on it just to make sure. Same result.

We all on the same network/SSID.

Google cant figure out why Chrone only sees it only when wired im still waiting for them to come back with a workaround. If they do ill post it.
_______

** Current **
Samsung Galaxy S4

** Retired **
Smart: HTC Mogul, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre, HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO 3D, Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S3

Ashcunak
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogul420 View Post
I checked the AP isolation thing before posting. So it wasnt that. I also flashed DD-WRT on it just to make sure. Same result.

We all on the same network/SSID.

Google cant figure out why Chrone only sees it only when wired im still waiting for them to come back with a workaround. If they do ill post it.
wild guess... if its not AP isolation maybe your wifi card has a firewall enabled and your Ethernet port doesn't?

mogul420
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcunak View Post
wild guess... if its not AP isolation maybe your wifi card has a firewall enabled and your Ethernet port doesn't?
checked. firewall is off.

weirder, the Chromecast app detects it, but my browser doesnt.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ccast.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	2197571   Click image for larger version

Name:	nocast.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	2197572  
_______

** Current **
Samsung Galaxy S4

** Retired **

tamanaco
Old
(Last edited by tamanaco; 22nd August 2013 at 01:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogul420 View Post
checked. firewall is off.
weirder, the Chromecast app detects it, but my browser doesnt.
I'm on the same boat with a "similar" problem. I have a Netgear N900 dual band router, but the issue persists while my main laptop (Win7) is connected via WiFi to either band (2.4GHz or 5.0GHz) or if I connect it directly to the router via Ethernet wire. Using the Chromecast app from the same laptop works without a hitch. I can also ping the Chromecast IP address without a problem. I have rebooted several times, uninstalled and re-installed Chrome and the Google Cast extension, but it makes no difference. I believe that the plugin is conflicting with "something" in this specific laptop. The issue is not with the LAN. All devices are on the same Network segment and respond to pings. The Google Cast extension works fine from two other laptops running Win7 with a similar setup, running the same version of the Chrome browser and Google Cast. I can also cast from my Android mobile devices (Nexus 7 & SGS3) using youtube. Suggestions anyone?

UPDATE:
The conflict was being caused by an active "virtual" network adapter. Specifically, the Leaf Network adapter that was installed with Netgear's ReadyShare Cloud. I guess this adapter works as a VPN to connect to the ReadyShare Cloud. I disabled this adapter and the Chromecast discovery worked. Apparently, the Chrome Cast extension is not smart enough to avoid virtual (VPN) adapters and link with the Primary (physical) wired/wireless adapter. At minimum, the extension should have an option to select the adapter to use. I don't user ReadyShare that frequently so having the adapter disabled does not bother me much.

bozzykid
Old
Thanks Meter 600
The new update rolling out today is suppose to improve discovery so perhaps it will fix some of these issues.

tamanaco
Old
(Last edited by tamanaco; 22nd August 2013 at 01:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
The new update rolling out today is suppose to improve discovery so perhaps it will fix some of these issues.
Thanks for the heads up. Is this a firmware update for the dongle or an updated Chrome Cast extension? Regardless, is there a a place where I can read about this update or a way for me to manually download it?

Btw, I found the conflict with my setup... I have updated my previous post.

Tags
chrome, chromecast, network, wi-fi, wired