5,597,542 Members 31,558 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] Note 2 Hidden Settings [Easily Change Hidden CSC Features]

Tip us?

nagasgura
Old
(Last edited by nagasgura; 2nd September 2013 at 04:57 AM.) Reason: Updated app to add new features.
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 321

DONATE TO ME
Default [APP] Note 2 Hidden Settings [Easily Change Hidden CSC Features]

Play Store Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.steinapps.note2hiddensettings&hl=en
Donate Version Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.steinapps.note2hiddensettingspro

This app enables you to easily change hidden settings on your Note 2 (and possibly other Samsung devices), such as:
  • Adding a shutter sound on/off option to the camera
  • Turning on Infinite Scroll mode on the launcher and app drawer
  • Extending how many contacts you can join together
These modifications normally can only be made by manually editing a system file, which can be dangerous and very inconvenient. This app makes the process quick and painless.

Features:
  • Shows which options have already been enabled, even by a different app or manually
  • Creates an automatic backup in case something goes wrong
  • Nice looking Holo interface
  • Supports devices which implement feature.xml or an others.xml file (all Touchwiz roms)
  • Adds a custom tag to the system file that allows you to easily tell what has been changed

Screenshots:

Changelog:
Code:
1.6:
Added a new feature to have a home page button in the browser menu
Added ads to support the development of this app and further similar apps. 
You can shut them off my pressing the menu key, but theyl help support the app. 
Alternatively, you could also buy the new donate version that has no ads and no permissions.

1.5:
Fixed a problem that caused all the features not to work
Fixed a problem that caused certain phone features not to work
Added much more languages to the sumsymbols including Russian and Spanish (confirmed working)

1.4:
Fixed file permission issues that caused the backup to not be applied

1.3:
Added a new Sound Settings category.
Sound settings has a Shutter Sound option so if the shutter sound menu didn't work, you can turn it off this way

1.2:
Added 5 more features:
- Call Duration menu in the call log of the stock dialer
- Camera during calls
- Folder View in the messaging app
- Automatically power on the phone before an alarm (might not work)
- Make the background color of the Email app white instead of black

1.1:
Fixed problem causing some of the options to display as off even when turned on

1.0:
Initial Release (16 options)
If it doesn't seem to get root permissions and the reboot now option doesn't work:
Make sure that the XPrivacy app isn't blocking it from getting root permissions

For anyone having trouble with the app and the Reset to Default button isn't working:
  • Use Root Explorer, ES File Explorer or a similar app to go to the /system/csc directory
  • Delete the feature.xml file
  • Rename the feature_backup.xml file to feature.xml
  • Make sure the file permissions on the new feature.xml are rw-r--r--:
    • Owner: Read, Write
    • Group: Read
    • Others: Read

If you have any questions, feature requests, or bugs, PM me and I'll fix them ASAP.
The Following 95 Users Say Thank You to nagasgura For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

uccoffee.forum
Old
Thanks Meter 1
this is so nice for my note 2, but is there something similar for my note 1 as well ?

nagasgura
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 321

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by uccoffee.forum View Post
this is so nice for my note 2, but is there something similar for my note 1 as well ?
There's a good chance that some of these will work. It's been confirmed working for the S4. First check if you have a feature.xml file or an others.xml file in the /system/csc directory.
The Following User Says Thank You to nagasgura For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

guitardoc64
Old
Thanks Meter 334

DONATE TO ME
I tried it on my Galaxy S4. It works! So far I have only tried the shutter sound toggle but I expect that the other settings should work too.
Current phone: Samsung Galaxy S4
Retired: EVO 3D, Hero,Vogue,Apache
ROM:Crawrj stock rooted MF9
Recovery:TWRP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guitardoc64 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

llawarta
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Hi

I have a Note 1 and I applied some CSC hacks for Note 2 listed in this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2033894

And works flawlessly, I have: keyboard subsymbols, camera shutter sound menu and exit menu in browser.

Nice attempt but the app only detects the 'exit menu in browser' as enabled ignoring the other changes.

Also do not forget for keyboard subsymbols hack a language must be chosen (the app miss the option to choose a language for subsymbols) using another tag, by example:

<CscFeature_Sip_EnableSymbolInSecondary>es;es_US;e n_US</CscFeature_Sip_EnableSymbolInSecondary>

I'm attaching my others.xml file, maybe can help you debugging the mentioned problems.
Attached Files
File Type: zip others.zip - [Click for QR Code] (422 Bytes, 111 views)

nagasgura
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 321

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by llawarta View Post
Hi

I have a Note 1 and I applied some CSC hacks for Note 2 listed in this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2033894

And works flawlessly, I have: keyboard subsymbols, camera shutter sound menu and exit menu in browser.

Nice attempt but the app only detects the 'exit menu in browser' as enabled ignoring the other changes.

Also do not forget for keyboard subsymbols hack a language must be chosen (the app miss the option to choose a language for subsymbols) using another tag, by example:

<CscFeature_Sip_EnableSymbolInSecondary>es;es_US;e n_US</CscFeature_Sip_EnableSymbolInSecondary>

I'm attaching my others.xml file, maybe can help you debugging the mentioned problems.
I believe that I have fixed the change detection issue, it was caused by the fact that some of the lines in the others.xml had TRUE instead of true. It should work correctly now. Are you sure your phone doesn't also have a feature.xml file, because the file you included doesn't look like what my app would usually output. Anyway, I attached the new fixed version, please let me know if it displays correctly. I'll get working on the subsymbols issue.
Attached Files
File Type: apk Note2HiddenSettings.apk - [Click for QR Code] (253.3 KB, 303 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to nagasgura For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mankind_18
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Will these work for custom rom? When I'm running stock rom a few months ago, these work flawlessly by editing others.xml.. But now in liquidsmooth rom, I can't find others.xml nor csc folders

llawarta
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasgura View Post
I believe that I have fixed the change detection issue, it was caused by the fact that some of the lines in the others.xml had TRUE instead of true. It should work correctly now. Are you sure your phone doesn't also have a feature.xml file, because the file you included doesn't look like what my app would usually output. Anyway, I attached the new fixed version, please let me know if it displays correctly. I'll get working on the subsymbols issue.
Thanks for the quick reply and fix.

Yeah my fault I copied from the other thread these values 'as is' and worked fine, but I recently notice the value of the tag CscFeature_Web_EnableAutoSimHomeUrlInProfile and it is on uppercase also, I didn't change that value, so the rom has it originally or it was generated.

I'm using stock JB german version (N7000XXLT4 N7000OXALT4 from dr.Ketan thread) rooted using PhilZ kernel.

There is no feature.xml, only a new file feature_backup.xml I believe created by your app.

I just tested the fixed version and detects the changes but applying some hacks the file generated seems malformed, the app create inside tag <features> another child tag <features> when apply changes, I don't think will work or am I wrong?

Attached a compare from original file and the modified
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winmerge_csc_01.jpg
Views:	2084
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	2204988  

nagasgura
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 321

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankind_18 View Post
Will these work for custom rom? When I'm running stock rom a few months ago, these work flawlessly by editing others.xml.. But now in liquidsmooth rom, I can't find others.xml nor csc folders
Touchwiz roms only. Most of these modify the stock samsung apps such as the launcher, dialer, and browser.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nagasgura For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nagasgura
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 321

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by llawarta View Post
Thanks for the quick reply and fix.

Yeah my fault I copied from the other thread these values 'as is' and worked fine, but I recently notice the value of the tag CscFeature_Web_EnableAutoSimHomeUrlInProfile and it is on uppercase also, I didn't change that value, so the rom has it originally or it was generated.

I'm using stock JB german version (N7000XXLT4 N7000OXALT4 from dr.Ketan thread) rooted using PhilZ kernel.

There is no feature.xml, only a new file feature_backup.xml I believe created by your app.

I just tested the fixed version and detects the changes but applying some hacks the file generated seems malformed, the app create inside tag <features> another child tag <features> when apply changes, I don't think will work or am I wrong?

Attached a compare from original file and the modified
Adding the extra <FeatureSet> tags will work fine, at least in my testing. If it doesn't work for you, let me know.

Tags
csc, feature.xml, hidden settings, infinite scroll, turn off shutter sound