Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,313 Members 48,076 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] JWR66Y nakasi factory image bootloader problem

Tip us?

Eregoth
Old
(Last edited by Eregoth; 7th January 2014 at 12:43 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Default [Q] JWR66Y nakasi factory image bootloader problem

Does anyone else get a "invalidState" and "signature mismatch" message when trying to flash the bootloader.img from the new JWR66Y factory image? Flashing the previous bootloader.img from JWR66V image or JDQ39 image works just fine though.

Latest update:
So it seems that the bootloader from the latest KOT49H build is also non-functional, as someone pointed out. Here are the working bootloaders from JWR66V / KRT16S that others have posted in this thread:

Quote:
bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
bootloader-tilapia-4.23.img

CRC32
c4eefbd8

MD5
df53028033c9eccf4fe5ba7bc198ce24

SHA-1
7b28b45a035efb9aad9e61ad09b1906eb5508721
The Grouper and Tilapia files are identical. The only difference is the file name
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Eregoth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

globula_neagra
Old
Thanks Meter 62

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eregoth View Post
Does anyone else get a "invalidState" and "signature mismatch" message when trying to flash the bootloader.img from the new JWR66Y factory image? Flashing the previous bootloader.img from JWR66V image or JDQ39 image works just fine though.

On the 3g version, same thing

C:\Users\Glob>fastboot flash bootloader E:\Nexus\nakasig-jwr66y-factory-bdbb7bd7
\nakasig-jwr66y\bootloader-tilapia-4.23.img
sending 'bootloader' (2100 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.277s]
writing 'bootloader'...
FAILED (remote: (InvalidState))
finished. total time: 0.420s
If you like my work, use the donate button on the left or the Thanks one .
Archos 50 Platinum CWM Archos50PlatCWM

GedBlake
Old
(Last edited by GedBlake; 23rd August 2013 at 03:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 360
This is weird...

I'm not naturally inclined to fastboot flash a bootloader, unless absolutely necessary - even for curiosities sake.

So I decided to take a closer look at the 4.23 bootloader image files themselves... from both build JWR66V and the very latest build, JWR66V... by running some checksum tests on both.

And here's the kicker... they are different... despite having the same name.

I have no idea why this should be, but it probably explains why some are having problems flashing it.

Here are my findings...

Code:
bootloader-grouper-4.23.img from JWR66V
---------------------------------------

Size:  2.05 MiB (2,150,992 bytes)

MD5:   df53028033c9eccf4fe5ba7bc198ce24

SHA-1: 7b28b45a035efb9aad9e61ad09b1906eb5508721

CRC32: c4eefbd8
Code:
bootloader-grouper-4.23.img from JWR66Y
---------------------------------------

Size:  2.05 MiB (2,151,068 bytes)

MD5:   5bdb2e87370cdb1a7ea14bb0c3e21390

SHA-1: ce2951e59da64fa57d281f47031364050c83f49c

CRC32: 7ab6084b
Make of this what you will...

I'm just puzzled! .

Rgrds,
Ged.
"Good Judgement Comes with Experience, but Experience Comes from Bad Judgement."
~ anon. ~

“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
~ Charles Dickens ~

Advent Vega: Android 4.1.2, build JZO54K - VegaBean Beta 6.
Nexus 7 'grouper': Android 4.4.4, build KTU84P - KitKat.
- with Xposed Framework and GravityBox.

I do NOT respond to technical queries via PM. If you have a question, please post it in the relevant thread.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GedBlake For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Auth
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Same here. Also after flashing system image and rebooting I get android warning icon on first loading. I had to push button to reboot device. But after all it works ok. So weird.

Eregoth
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GedBlake View Post
This is weird...

I'm not naturally inclined to fastboot flash a bootloader, unless absolutely necessary - even for curiosities sake.

So I decided to take a closer look at the 4.23 bootloader image files themselves... from both build JWR66V and the very latest build, JWR66V... by running some checksum tests on both.

And here's the kicker... they are different... despite having the same name.

I have no idea why this should be, but it probably explains why some are having problems flashing it.
This is interesting. Is it possible to open or extract the .img files and investigate further what the differences might be?

simics
Old
(Last edited by simics; 23rd August 2013 at 06:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
confirmed, the BL in 66Y is not working. Keep getting Invalid State on the command prompt and the Nexus screen has red words saying invalid signature.

OKAY [ 0.299s]
writing 'bootloader'...
finished. total time: 0.438s

Got the "old" 4.23 BL from JWR66V and all is well again.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2150251
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to simics For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

glitchsys
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by simics View Post
confirmed, the BL in 66Y is not working. Keep getting Invalid State on the command prompt and the Nexus screen has red words saying invalid signature.

OKAY [ 0.299s]
writing 'bootloader'...
finished. total time: 0.438s

Got the "old" 4.23 BL from JWR66V and all is well again.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2150251
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbrs View Post
I just noticed the same. I'm going to see if rooting and doing a complete wipe helps.
Wow guys, thanks so much. I've been trying to flash the official 4.3 image (JWR66Y) onto my Nexus 7 and I kept getting:

when it tried to write the bootloader. It would refuse to write the system image after because it detected the boot loader was still the older version, 4.18 or something. After finding this thread I found JWR66V at:
https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aos...y-d341d356.tgz

Was able to successfully write the 4.23 bootloader from that leaked built, and then I was able to write the JWR66Y image, since it now detected my bootloader was 4.23; It's weird the 4.23 bootloader in JWR66Y is broken but the 4.23 bootloader in JWR66V works just fine.
Primary Phone: AT&T Galaxy Note II i317
Old Phones: Optimus G, Galaxy S II, MT 4G Slide, T-Mobile G2, HD2 (w/ Android), Nexus 1, MT3GS
The Following User Says Thank You to glitchsys For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GedBlake
Old
(Last edited by GedBlake; 23rd August 2013 at 11:24 PM.) Reason: Various typos corrected + additional info
Thanks Meter 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eregoth View Post
This is interesting. Is it possible to open or extract the .img files and investigate further what the differences might be?
Hi, Eregoth...

Unlikely, I'm afraid... bootloader.img files are closed source and nobody knows what they contain except Asus (this is why there is no changelog, detailing the added features of v4.23 over v4.18, for example).

A bootloader is crypto-signed to the unique ID of a given Nexus 7, and when you flash a new one it 'inherits' the previous bootloaders data. The bootloader acts as a kind of security gate keeper and becomes active every time you switch on the Nexus 7. It's a system critical component of the Nexus 7, and without it... nothing happens. You can mess up pretty much any partition on the Nexus 7, and still recover from it... and is typically known as a softbrick, and is characterized by such egregious behaviour as bootlooping or refusal to boot... but as long as can you see the White-on-Black Google logo (which is the bootloader) upon boot or the White-on-Black battery charging animation (also the bootloader) when charging from a fully shut down state... as long as you can see these, the device isn't hardbricked and most of the time can be recovered.

If you corrupt, or erase the bootloader... the Nexus 7 is dead, from which there is known recovery. Although it's been speculated that an nvFlash tool could flash a new bootloader. I've used nvFlash before, on another tablet, and it's considerably more flexible/powerful than fastboot (you can change partition sizes, called 'layouts', for example)... but so far, nobody has been able to make nvFlash work on the Nexus 7.

This PDF document lodged by Nvidia Corporation with the United States Patent office in 2009 gives some indication of a what a bootloader is and what it's purpose is. Although somewhat technical, and a little out of date, it's worth reading.

-----------------------------------------------------------

All of which, though interesting, doesn't explain why the two v4.23 bootloaders are different. And reading through the posts here on this thread, it's clear there is a problem.

Fastboot flashing a bootloader is a risky procedure at the best of times, and always makes me nervous. And this kind of thing hardly inspires confidence in me.

Unless I've seriously misunderstood something, or I'm missing something, I think the only logical conclusion I can draw is Google have screwed up the bootloader that ships with Build JWR66Y.

I've just done a Google search on this topic, to see if it's been flagged up anywhere else, outside of XDA... but so far, nothing. But it's early days, and build JWR66Y has only been available for around 24hrs... so who knows what may crop up over the next few days. Unless Google quietly fixes the problem, I suspect many people wishing to restore back to stock 4.3 are going to have similar problems as those who have reported on this thread.

Anyway... I guess we'll see what happens...

Still damned odd, though.

Rgrds,
Ged.
"Good Judgement Comes with Experience, but Experience Comes from Bad Judgement."
~ anon. ~

“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
~ Charles Dickens ~

Advent Vega: Android 4.1.2, build JZO54K - VegaBean Beta 6.
Nexus 7 'grouper': Android 4.4.4, build KTU84P - KitKat.
- with Xposed Framework and GravityBox.

I do NOT respond to technical queries via PM. If you have a question, please post it in the relevant thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to GedBlake For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

globula_neagra
Old
(Last edited by globula_neagra; 24th August 2013 at 01:16 AM.)
Thanks Meter 62

DONATE TO ME
An OTA update re-writes the bootloader also, so even if you do it yourself, or leave google to do it, it she same risk
Eg: The OTA update from 4.2.2 has corrupted my Radio partition, and now it seems that i am using a backup radio. Still nobody knows which partition is the radio, so i can fix the issue (the fstab.mmc says that the format of the radio partition is ext4, so if someone will do a dd dump i should be able to restore my radio)

Just received the ota 2mb size, strange
If you like my work, use the donate button on the left or the Thanks one .
Archos 50 Platinum CWM Archos50PlatCWM

_never_mind_
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default bootloader-grouper-4.23.img from the jwr66v and image-nakasi-jwr66y.zip ?

Does it work to use the bootloader-grouper-4.23.img from the jwr66v and then flash image-nakasi-jwr66y.zip ??