Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[MOD]TabletUI on Stock JSS15Q Odex/DeOdexed (root)

OP Caldair

24th August 2013, 08:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 665

591 posts
More
Old School TabletUI On The Bleeding Edge of Android Builds!

This mod is intended for Stock build JSS15Q. It requires your device to be rooted.
Check it out:

(Nova Launcher as default launcher - Read why below)
Prerequisites:
>> You must be running STOCK build JSS15Q.
>> Your device must be rooted.
>> You must be using a custom recovery.
Instructions:
1. MAKE A FULL NANDROID BACKUP!! This works for me, and I assume it will work for you. I will not be responsible for your device getting all messed up, with no way to go back, so just make a backup first, OK?

2. Download the correct flashable zip for the build you are running. There is a corresponding Restore zip as well that you can flash to get back to stock: Update: Added mods that contain scrosler's Advanced Power Menu mod, because you can't flash each separately.
ODEX - TabletUI-Stock-Odex-JSS15Q.zip ---- Odex Restore zip --- TabletUI + Advanced Power Menu - Odex*
DEODEXED - TabletUI-Stock-DeOdexed-JSS15Q.zip ---- Deodexed Restore zip --- TabletUI + APM - Deodexed*
>>>If the links above aren't working try here.<<<

* The Advanced Power Menu is all the work of @scrosler! If you use it be sure to pop over to his APM thread and click his Thanks Button! Thanks again scrosler!!

3. Reboot into recovery and flash the file you just downloaded. (I used CWM recovery, but this should work the same in all custom recoveries. If you have any issues see Step 1!)

4. Boot up your tab and enjoy the TabletUI!!

4.1. You will notice that the home screen with the stock launcher is all messed up. Install a third party launcher from the Play store and it should fix this. I am personally using Nova.
Issues: This mod is based on my AOSP tabletUI patches in the Auto-Patcher and I will assume brings with it all the same caveats:
Multi-User: If you use multiple user profiles on your tab then this mod is not for you! Notifications from your other, inactive user profiles will be seen in your active profile.
Device Encryption: It was reported that enabling encryption in conjunction with tabletUI will lead to boot loops. Do not use this mod if your device is encrypted or you intend to encrypt it!
Persistent Notifications: Some persistent notifications, like the alarm clock when you have an alarm set, will not be seen.
P.S. The Quick Settings panel, with the tiles, is gone in TabletUI mode. There is a limited settings panel that can be flipped to by tapping the header of the notification panel popup. Please don't ask me to modify this settings panel, I have tried before without success.
Thanks/Credits:
barrmulio - for all his original work on TabletUI.
scrosler - for his handy empty flashable zip, that I made use of.
and scrosler again! - For his Advanced Power Menu Mod that I integrated with this mod!
majdinj - for his DeOdex/Odex tool
teshxx - for his Deodexed Factory Image that the deodexed files are based on!
Asus - for this awesome device
and last but not least...
Google - for leaving in the old TabletUI framework, even though they don't use it anymore!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-24-13-18-59.jpg
Views:	30464
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	2211160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-24-13-17-27.jpg
Views:	28521
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	2211161  
Last edited by Caldair; 26th September 2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added Restore zip.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Caldair For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2013, 08:46 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

591 posts
More
Changelog

2013/08/24
  • Initial JSS15Q Odex TabletUI release.
  • JSS15Q Odex Stock Restore.

2013/08/25
  • Deodexed JSS15Q TabletUI and Restore added.
  • Integrated scrosler's Advanced Power Menu mod with Odex & Deodexed TabletUI mods!
Last edited by Caldair; 26th August 2013 at 01:40 AM.
25th August 2013, 04:27 PM   |  #3  
USA
Thanks Meter: 12

636 posts
More
Thanks! I am using this in combination with my 24 dpi nav-bar (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2412699). Need to work on changing the font/icon size of the nav-bar now.
25th August 2013, 08:58 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 173

702 posts
This is Great! Can you make one for Deodex?
25th August 2013, 09:02 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

591 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mssam

Coincidentally I was just working up the motivation to get my lazy ass off the couch and over to my desk to do just that! Shouldn't be long, deodexed files are a breeze!
The Following User Says Thank You to Caldair For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th August 2013, 09:04 PM   |  #6  

702 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldair

Coincidentally I was just working up the motivation to get my lazy ass off the couch and over to my desk to do just that! Shouldn't be long, deodexed files are a breeze!

Lmao! That's funny!
25th August 2013, 10:11 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

591 posts
More
Quote:

Here are the Deodexed Stock TabletUI zip and a zip that will Restore all Deodexed Stock files in case you decide TabletUI is not your cup of tea.

THESE FILES HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED - AT ALL - MAKE A FULL BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING!!

... ahem, Now that is out of the way. These are based on teshxx's Deodexed Factory Image - JSS15Q. Thanks @teshxx!

If someone will confirm this working I will add them to the OP and modify the title accordingly.

Thanks in advance... ...make a backup!

EDIT: Thanks to mssam for testing and confirming this works!

Links added to OP.
Last edited by Caldair; 25th August 2013 at 11:13 PM.
25th August 2013, 10:31 PM   |  #8  

702 posts
yeah, it works in tablet ui on clean 1.5 deodex, but it knocks out the advanced power menu. Still tinkering around tho...
The Following User Says Thank You to mssam For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th August 2013, 10:40 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

591 posts
More
Quote:

yeah, it works in tablet ui on clean 1.5 deodex, but it knocks out the advanced power menu. Still tinkering around tho...

Thanks for testing!

And yeah, it will definitely knock out the advanced power menu because this replaces framework-res.apk and android.policy.jar, the 2 files where the magic happens for advanced power menu.
26th August 2013, 01:37 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

591 posts
More
Quote:

I just updated the OP with links to zips that will enable both TabletUI and @scrosler's Advanced Power Menu!

I am runing the Odex version and everything is working awesome here. Its amazing how much you miss that reboot to recovery when it's not there!

The Deodexed version is as yet untested, so exercise some caution.

Big thanks to scrosler for being so damn cool!!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread