Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,302 Members 51,301 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][4.0+][ROOT] SCR Screen Recorder

Tip us?

iwobanas
Old
(Last edited by iwobanas; 1st April 2014 at 11:23 AM.) Reason: Translators list updated
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Video [APP][4.0+][ROOT] SCR Screen Recorder

This is the official SCR Screen Recorder thread.
There are already couple threads scattered on different devices forums but I wanted a central place to gather feedback etc.

SCR Screen Recorder allows you to record great quality screencasts directly from your phone or tablet. It uses hardware accelerated video encoding to achieve best quality screen recording on any device. It's the only video recorder on the market supporting Tegra device including Nexus 7.

Google Play Links

SCR Free

SCR Pro
(With the Free edition you can record maximum 3 minutes screencasts and the SCR watermark is added to your video. Buy the Pro version to get unlimited screencast length with no watermark.)

Alpha testing
Join SCR Alpha testing Google+ community to get access to the latest SCR builds including experimental features. After joining the community join alpha test of SCR Free or SCR Pro

Translations
If you’d like to help with translations of the app please get in touch via scr.screen.recorder@gmail.com

Huge thanks to the current translations authors!
Arabic - MrNice14
Chinese (Simplified) - iKira
Chinese (Taiwan) - GPFsam
Danish - evildog1
Dutch - sdelange99
Finnish - T3ER
German - Paolo Poso
Korean - Ghilwoon Kim
Portuguese (Brazil) - Walisson85
Russian - Mavryck
Slovak - Pyler
Spanish - DavBar9

FAQ
I’m getting error message when I start recording, what should I do?
Try changing the resolution or switching between CPU/GPU image transformation mode. Some devices don’t support all settings combinations. If you can’t get any settings to work please tap “Report” button on error dialog and send a full report email including system log.

The recording works fine except the strange colours
Select “Inverted color fix” in SCR Settings.

Video contains some random colors instead of my screen
This is caused by device video encoder crash. It usually can be fixed by changing Resolution.

The video is sideways, how do I rotate it?
Just like default Android Camera app SCR checks the screen orientation when the recording is started and adds orientation metadata to the video file. Some video players (e.g. VLC) ignore orientation metadata and always display video horizontally. YouTube nad default android video player can detect orientation metadata correctly and play vertical videos. If you want a video to use vertical frames instead of rotation metadata select "Vertical frames" in SCR settings. Note that hardware video encoders and video players on many devices don't support vertical frames especially on high resolutions.

I uninstalled SCR but touch indicators don't get removed
Showing touch indicators is an android hidden feature which gets simply enabled by SCR. If you want to get rid of it after uninstalling SCR you can use this app or go to “Settings” => “Developer options” => “Show touches”.

My phone gets really laggy when I start recording
Phones hardware is not designed to record HD video and play 3D games at the same time so I have to push the limits. There is always going to be some slowdown. You can reduce a lag by reducing resolution and frame rate. Lower frame rate and lower resolution means that your phone needs less power for video encoding and has more spare resources to run other apps and games. If you’r running Android 4.3 try GPU+ image transformation mode which is much faster on some devices.

Smallprint
SCR Screen Recorder collects anonymous usage statistics to help track bugs and analyze how users use the app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	codec.png
Views:	43954
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	2216470   Click image for larger version

Name:	inverted.png
Views:	44140
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	2216471  
Attached Images

The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to iwobanas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Onel de Guzman
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Oh god

IceyYou2
Old
Thanks Meter 25
So what are the benefits of this over screencast?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
Xperia S Trinity Rom ~ Trinity Kernel ~ Unlocked Bootloader

iwobanas
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onel de Guzman View Post
Oh god
Hmm... I haven't seen that one before. This looks like some generic Android error message. Do you always get it or just once?
What device/Android version are you using?
Make sure your're rooted (i.e. open SuperSu or Superuser and make sure it doesn't complain).
The Following User Says Thank You to iwobanas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iwobanas
Old
(Last edited by iwobanas; 27th August 2013 at 02:21 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceyYou2 View Post
So what are the benefits of this over screencast?
There are quire a few benefits of SCR over Screencast:
  1. SCR supports Tegra devices
  2. it works on Jelly Bean
  3. on many devices it's much faster (e.g. on Nexus 4 you can record 720p@40fps with minimal CPU ussage)
  4. SCR UI uses an floating window displayed ontop other apps so that you can start recording without capturing recorder UI
  5. it's in active development i.e. I keep adding new features and fixing bugs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iwobanas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blagginspaziyonokip
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Yeah screencast is very outdated. Just looked at the free version of your app, sorry so many people can't read that it needs root and rate your app 1 star. Idiots. I'll rate it 5 ★

Sent from my GT-P3110 using xda app-developers app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blagginspaziyonokip For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Onel de Guzman
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwobanas View Post
Hmm... I haven't seen that one before. This looks like some generic Android error message. Do you always get it or just once?
What device/Android version are you using?
Make sure your're rooted (i.e. open SuperSu or Superuser and make sure it doesn't complain).
When i click setting it always fclose dude,im rooted already

Sent from your Girlfriend ^_^

iwobanas
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onel de Guzman View Post
When i click setting it always fclose dude,im rooted already
Make sure you use the latest version (0.9.1-beta) there was a bug in settings dialog in the previous version but it should be fixed now.
I don't see any crashes in 0.9.1-beta in Google Play developer console. You ma also try clearing the application data (or reinstalling it).

isaacpeh
Old
Thanks Meter 51
What about this? Happens all the time.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1377705874923.jpg
Views:	2109
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2219391  

iwobanas
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacpeh View Post
What about this? Happens all the time.
Many HTC devices are still not working corrctly. Especially on Android 4.0.x and 4.1.x. 4.2.x is a bit more stable.
I'm working on dedicated software encoding option to support problematic devices including HTX One.
This still require couple weeks of work. I'll be releasing an update with this encoder in second half of September.