Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,535 Members 39,874 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Odin 3 "FAIL! (Auth)" When trying to root...

Tip us?

qi2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Odin 3 "FAIL! (Auth)" When trying to root...

Hello, this is my first post on an xda forum. I sincerely apologize if this thread has already been made but I have searched for quite a while not just on the xda forums, but everywhere else to try and find a solution, but to no avail. I have been racking my brain and researching for the past few days to try and find out what the problem is with my phone but I can't seem to figure it out. Long story short, I am trying to root my Samsung Galaxy S3 (again) but whenever it gets about halfway in Odin it says "FAIL! (Auth)" and then stops. I rooted my phone about a year ago but never fully understood the point of it so I unrooted it and recently took an interest in rooting so I have been trying again.

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)
<ID:0/007> Removed!!
<ID:0/007> Added!!
<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> boot.img
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

This is the string of messages( I think that's what it's called) that I receive when I try and flash a .md5 file onto my phone using Odin.
I apologize if this is a bit jumbled up, I am trying my best to fix this problem and it's quite frustrating. I will accept any helpful tips pointing towards the solution to this problem and will do my best to answer any questions. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Sandman-007
Old
Thanks Meter 615
Just making sure. You are trying to flash a VZW Stock image file via Odin using the PDA Section? The PDA Section is VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Samsung Galaxy S3, SOKP
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman-007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

qi2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman-007 View Post
Just making sure. You are trying to flash a VZW Stock image file via Odin using the PDA Section? The PDA Section is VERY IMPORTANT!!!

I finally figured out what was wrong after some more research! My specific phone the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III (SCH-I535), has had some kind of specific restriction that prevents me from flashing certain ROMs or things like that. Upon research I found a ROM that was semi stock, but also included Superuser and I flashed it and everything went perfectly! I learned a lot through all the research and through trial and error though which is great. My phone seems to be working great except for the fact that the internet connection is really weak or just slow, not really sure what happened. Do you have any tips on how to fix this problem? Also any app recommendations? Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to qi2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sandman-007
Old
Thanks Meter 615
Try an earlier radio? Some people say the Newest radios just do not cut it for them.

Samsung Galaxy S3, SOKP
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman-007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AndreWhumphrey
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Might it be possible for you to expand on any information you have about this semi-stock ROM you found? I'm running into this exact same issue with my new sch-i535.

joedajoester
Old
(Last edited by joedajoester; 14th January 2014 at 11:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by qi2 View Post
Hello, this is my first post on an xda forum. I sincerely apologize if this thread has already been made but I have searched for quite a while not just on the xda forums, but everywhere else to try and find a solution, but to no avail. I have been racking my brain and researching for the past few days to try and find out what the problem is with my iPhone but I can't seem to figure it out. Long story short, I am trying to root my Samsung Galaxy S3 (again) but whenever it gets about halfway in Odin it says "FAIL! (Auth)" and then stops. I rooted my phone about a year ago but never fully understood the point of it so I unrooted it and recently took an interest in rooting so I have been trying again.

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)
<ID:0/007> Removed!!
<ID:0/007> Added!!
<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> boot.img
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

This is the string of messages( I think that's what it's called) that I receive when I try and flash a .md5 file onto my phone using Odin.
I apologize if this is a bit jumbled up, I am trying my best to fix this problem and it's quite frustrating. I will accept any helpful tips pointing towards the solution to this problem and will do my best to answer any questions. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Well that's a nice workaround :P but if you do ever decide to return to stock and the latest version of it, use this thread to root it without Odin. Lol I tried rooting through Odin with a method for older versions and made my phone bootloop. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2332825

Sandman-007
Old
Thanks Meter 615
This works everytime. I recommend flashing the stock Image AND STOCK BOOTCHAIN or recovery won't install. Those are listed at the bottom of the tutorial. If you are on stock just install the stock bootchain

http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?/topic/29256-[TUTORIAL]-[ROOT/RECOVERY/BOOTLOADER-UNLOCK][ICS/JB]-Verizon-Galaxy-S-III

Samsung Galaxy S3, SOKP

yotaotomi14
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default i need help pls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qi2 View Post
I finally figured out what was wrong after some more research! My specific phone the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III (SCH-I535), has had some kind of specific restriction that prevents me from flashing certain ROMs or things like that. Upon research I found a ROM that was semi stock, but also included Superuser and I flashed it and everything went perfectly! I learned a lot through all the research and through trial and error though which is great. My phone seems to be working great except for the fact that the internet connection is really weak or just slow, not really sure what happened. Do you have any tips on how to fix this problem? Also any app recommendations? Thanks!

Sir how did you fix your Samsung S3 verizon... i have same proble.. pls help me.. thanks in advance

jbrocoolman14
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaotomi14 View Post
Sir how did you fix your Samsung S3 verizon... i have same proble.. pls help me.. thanks in advance
yeah same

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1491
Gentlemen, not everyone issue the same even it may shown the same. You need to provide what rom version you are on and what version you try to flash, do you have recovery already installed, is your bootloader unlocked and rooted and why you need to flash, like you need root, or you bootloop or what????