Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,157 Members 42,777 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google Play Music Outside US

Tip us?
 
binaryfalcon
Old
#1  
binaryfalcon's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 200
Join Date: Jun 2013
Question [Q] Google Play Music Outside US

I really want to use the ''play from cloud'' feature, so I don't fill up my whole sd card with music.
If I use US Proxy to log in, and download the software, am I good to go without messing around with proxy/vpn anymore?
(Music app is international, no need to set up vpn on phone I think)
 
binaryfalcon
Old
#2  
binaryfalcon's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 200
Join Date: Jun 2013
bump.
 
shimp208
Old
#3  
shimp208's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1522
Posts: 2,224
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryfalcon View Post
I really want to use the ''play from cloud'' feature, so I don't fill up my whole sd card with music.
If I use US Proxy to log in, and download the software, am I good to go without messing around with proxy/vpn anymore?
(Music app is international, no need to set up vpn on phone I think)
What country are you trying to use Google Music from? If you use a U.S. based proxy to download the Google Music Manager software and set it up you should be good to go and shouldn't need the proxy after everything has been initially setup. I would recommend checking out this guide on how to setup Google Music outside the U.S. http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/19/h...e-of-the-unit/. Also Google has expanded its list of Google Music supported countries to include Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Portugal, Spain, and United Kingdom. Let me know if you still have questions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to shimp208 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
binaryfalcon
Old
#4  
binaryfalcon's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 200
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208 View Post
What country are you trying to use Google Music from? If you use a U.S. based proxy to download the Google Music Manager software and set it up you should be good to go and shouldn't need the proxy after everything has been initially setup. I would recommend checking out this guide on how to setup Google Music outside the U.S. http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/19/h...e-of-the-unit/. Also Google has expanded its list of Google Music supported countries to include Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Portugal, Spain, and United Kingdom. Let me know if you still have questions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
Alright, two more questions:
Is this legal? What I mean by that is this against google tos?
Also, using vpn/proxy to log in, is it safe to log in with my google account? Should I change password afterwards?
 
binaryfalcon
Old
#5  
binaryfalcon's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 200
Join Date: Jun 2013
bump.
 
binaryfalcon
Old
#6  
binaryfalcon's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 200
Join Date: Jun 2013
bump #2
 
shimp208
Old
#7  
shimp208's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1522
Posts: 2,224
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryfalcon View Post
Alright, two more questions:
Is this legal? What I mean by that is this against google tos?
Also, using vpn/proxy to log in, is it safe to log in with my google account? Should I change password afterwards?
As far as legality is concerned I must disclaim that I am not a lawyer. Doing this is not illegal but it may violate Google's Terms of Service (I have no read the full Terms of Service) but they are unlikely do anything about it as many people who want to use Google Music outside the countries that are officially supported use this method. Regarding your question about is it safe to login with your Google account, there is always some amount of risk when using a proxy but overall you should be ok when using this method and shouldn't need to change your password after. You can change your password after if it makes you feel more secure, I always respect when people have privacy concerns . Also sorry for not getting back to you sooner I was out with my family for the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to shimp208 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
binaryfalcon
Old
#8  
binaryfalcon's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 200
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208 View Post
As far as legality is concerned I must disclaim that I am not a lawyer. Doing this is not illegal but it may violate Google's Terms of Service (I have no read the full Terms of Service) but they are unlikely do anything about it as many people who want to use Google Music outside the countries that are officially supported use this method. Regarding your question about is it safe to login with your Google account, there is always some amount of risk when using a proxy but overall you should be ok when using this method and shouldn't need to change your password after. You can change your password after if it makes you feel more secure, I always respect when people have privacy concerns . Also sorry for not getting back to you sooner I was out with my family for the day.
That's alright. I'm really unsure if I want to do this, I don't think security will be a very big problem (using https) + changing password before and after. Although will I be able to use google music on my phone without vpn? Can I upload music without proxy after this? Only thing keeping me away is if its against google tos
 
shimp208
Old
#9  
shimp208's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1522
Posts: 2,224
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryfalcon View Post
That's alright. I'm really unsure if I want to do this, I don't think security will be a very big problem (using https) + changing password before and after. Although will I be able to use google music on my phone without vpn? Can I upload music without proxy after this? Only thing keeping me away is if its against google tos
Once you set this up then you don't have to worry about using the proxy anymore, and don't need to setup a proxy on your phone. Yes, you can upload music without the proxy after the proxy is just for initial setup. For the terms of service I just did a quick look and yes technically it does violate the Google terms of service for Play Services such as Google Music. The following quote is from the Google Play terms of service in the Music on Google Play section:

Quote:
7. Music on Google Play
...
Geographic Restrictions. The Music Locker Services and Music Products are currently available only in some countries. You agree that you will not present any false, inaccurate or misleading information in an effort to misrepresent yourself as a resident of a supported country, and you will not attempt to circumvent any restrictions on access to or availability of the Music Locker Services or Music Products.
What country are you trying to access Google Play Music from?
The Following User Says Thank You to shimp208 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
binaryfalcon
Old
#10  
binaryfalcon's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 200
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208 View Post
Once you set this up then you don't have to worry about using the proxy anymore, and don't need to setup a proxy on your phone. Yes, you can upload music without the proxy after the proxy is just for initial setup. For the terms of service I just did a quick look and yes technically it does violate the Google terms of service for Play Services such as Google Music. The following quote is from the Google Play terms of service in the Music on Google Play section:



What country are you trying to access Google Play Music from?
Norway,

and thanks a lot for taking a look in the TOS. I'm just afraid that the service will never come here. I think I will stay out if it, with the security issues and violating the tos. But thank you, this was really helpful.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes