Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

[Q] Root Vivitar XO (Kids tablet)

OP Talysdaddy

31st August 2013, 02:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
More
Hey guys!

First off, any help or info on this is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Just wondering if anyone has any info or knows where I can find, how to root this Vivitar XO, children's tablet?
My daughter just won this at preschool. It's ok, I guess, its similar to the other kids tablets with the "kid UI" and the normal Android UI, we see on our phones and tablets. it does have decent specs (below) for a kids tablet, better than most so far, especially in the $150 range..
Hopefully, some kids with hacker parents/siblings gets one soon, so we can really make this thing cool!
If anyone knows anything now, please share the knowledge, a very generous beer/coffee donation's waiting!

THANKS!!!!

Technical Specifications
Size: 7.6" x 4.65" x .39"
Screen Size: 7"
Screen Resolution: 1024 x 600
Storage: 8GB
Processor: 1.6GHz dual core
Operating System Android: 4.2 (Jelly Bean)
RAM: 1GB
Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n
Camera: 1.2MP Front-Facing / 2.0MP Rear-Facing
Battery Life: up to 7.5 hours
30th October 2013, 09:31 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 5

13 posts
I'm interested in this too - I hooked up with USB debugging turned on and tried adb, but it couldn't see the device. I'm guessing this is due to a generic adb driver not working, but I suppose there could be other secret sauce (e.g. adb.ini magic numbers) needed too.

I'm eager to try some scans for e.g. the Master Key vulnerability and point the Impactor to it - if I can just get adb to see the device! Please, anyone, let us know if you have success getting adb working - I can't stand having an un-rooted tablet in the house! :P
10th November 2013, 03:03 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
Angry Magic numbers for XO Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz

I hooked up with USB debugging turned on and tried adb, but it couldn't see the device. I'm guessing this is due to a generic adb driver not working, but I suppose there could be other secret sauce (e.g. adb.ini magic numbers) needed too.

Interested too but I found the magic numbers !
If I add following lines to the Google generic USB driver, I could see the XO Tablet from ADB:

;XO Tablet
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_16D5&PID_8007
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_16D5&PID_8007&MI_01

Hope that help and you could find a way to root it
Let us know !
The Following User Says Thank You to lionel911 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th December 2013, 07:25 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Tablet Vivitar Camelio Tablet Root Method (no fastboot or bootloader)
I have a Vivitar Camelio tablet for my kids and I have rooted several tablets and phones and understand as a tech myself what to do in most cases...

I want to root and remove bloatware and test some customized JB roms on this basic tablet.
I can connect and see it using PdaNet drivers and I can only backup/restore via adb but when I try to run any fastboot commands I get errors such as fastboot device not detected.

This vivitar stock tablet has a custom 4.1.1 JB rom on it stock. I cannot boot into download mode. However I can boot into its stock recovery with just a few options available such as sideload, wipe cache, factory reset and also reboot. I can see the device from ADB but cannot use fastboot commands without the no device error.

A way to root this tablet and without the bootloader accessibility I cannot do this. I will pay via paypal 10 whole US dollars for the first person that can successfully walk me through this. We can use gotomypc or to video conference or simply you can draft up the steps I need to perform. I am ok with bricking this toy my kid is 3 and the device is a bit much for her at this point so I'll try anything to unlock the bootloader so I can root and rom it.

I was able to gather tablet information but this is all that was displayed via ADB.

DEVICE INFORMATION:

Product Description: Camelio Family Tablet

Device Product: (Blank)

Device Type: PI070H04CA

Firmware Version: 4.1.1

Firmware Build: JRO03H

Firmware Region Code: (Blank)

Bootloader Version: (Blank)

Boot Image Status: Secure

ANY HELP I S GREATLY APPRECIATED!

This tablet is pretty good for the $99 price tag so this should be a question that will be asked again and again by others in the future. Help me on this one and you can post the Vivitar Camelio Root method update and take all the credit for it

Thanks!!!!!!!

Jason
23rd December 2013, 10:44 PM   |  #5  

4 posts
Tablet Problem Solved!
Root your device with Kingo. here is the link! Enjoy!

Google Kingo Root and you will find it quick and easy.

Jason

Rooted Camelio Tablet and S4 Mini with Kingo.
24th December 2013, 09:27 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 5

13 posts
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel911

Interested too but I found the magic numbers !
If I add following lines to the Google generic USB driver, I could see the XO Tablet from ADB:

;XO Tablet
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_16D5&PID_8007
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_16D5&PID_8007&MI_01

Hope that help and you could find a way to root it
Let us know !

I found another way of waking up adb and getting it to see the "XO Learning Tablet" over USB debugging - I kind of cheated by launching Moborobo :/ but at least I got connected.

Anyhow, after that, I checked with the SRT AppScanner and both existing Master Key vulns were still present on the 4.1.1 build of Android that the tablet ships with. I tried the first option in the Cydia Impactor ("# drop SuperSU su to /system/xbin/su") and had immediate success! Both a shell (which allowed me to su) and activating the Root Explorer in ES File Explorer (after installing SuperSU) worked flawlessly.

Hope this is helpful to folks desiring to root their XO Tablet. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to microwiz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th June 2014, 06:56 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 3

66 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMMA

Root your device with Kingo. here is the link! Enjoy!

Google Kingo Root and you will find it quick and easy.

Jason

Rooted Camelio Tablet and S4 Mini with Kingo.

Kingo root does work on the XO Learning tablet. Also the button combo to get into recovery mode is Vol- & Power at the same time. When it starts up release the power button.
Last edited by SnoopyII; 27th June 2014 at 06:58 AM. Reason: added info
28th July 2014, 07:18 PM   |  #8  

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyII

Kingo root does work on the XO Learning tablet. Also the button combo to get into recovery mode is Vol- & Power at the same time. When it starts up release the power button.

Kingo Root only worked for me after I ran Moborobo. Before that adb would not find the device, moborobo fixed that.
31st July 2014, 12:48 AM   |  #9  

2 posts
So I root the Vivitar XO but how would i flash a clean version on android on to it or maybe even sugar.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread