Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,266 Members 45,186 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] Shield streaming remotely without a VPN

Tip us?

cgutman
Old
(Last edited by cgutman; 14th December 2013 at 04:20 AM.) Reason: Added troubleshooting steps
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 138
Post [HOWTO] Shield streaming remotely without a VPN

Over the past couple of weeks since I got a GTX 760 for my main rig, I've been playing with getting Shield streaming to work through a NAT. With a combination of an Android app and Windows app, I've been able to get the Shield to stream through a NAT device.

This is alpha software, so it may not work for you. I'll be continuing development on it to make it more robust based on bug reports filed here and on the GitHub projects

This method is potentially more complex than running a VPN, but it is lower overhead and works in environments where VPNs cannot.

For those who don't care about the technical details, skip the next section.

Relay Technical Details

The Shield uses MDNS to discover compatible streaming PCs. It issues a query for _nvstream._tcp.local to which streaming PCs reply with PTR, A, AAAA, and TXT records. MDNS isn't routable outside of the local network (and sometimes blocked within the network too), so naturally PCs outside the Shield's local network won't be available as streaming targets.

To solve the MDNS problem, I wrote MDNS relays for Android and Windows that operate on UDP port 5354. The Android relay sends MDNS queries to the Windows relay where the Windows relay replays them local and sends the reply back to the Shield. The Android relay then takes the reply and parses it to look at the A record. It replaces the IP address specified in the A record with the IP address it received the MDNS reply from so it can properly connect to PCs behind a NAT. With the MDNS relay code in place, the Shield could see the PC and even start games.

There was still a problem getting the video stream back. It turns out that the way that UDP port 47998 is used on the Shield streaming software running on the PC prevents it from traversing NATs when going back to the Shield because it assumes that the source is always 47998. This is IMHO a bug because all other ports deal with NAT traversal properly, but needless to say I still had to deal with this.

The only option I had for fixing the port 47998 issue was to capture the packets as they go onto the wire in the Windows relay. I used WinPcap to capture the UDP packets leaving the machine. I then filter based on whether the packet was addressed to us. If it's a packet from the Shield to us on port 47998, then I save the source port of that packet. When I see a packet going out from us to port 47998, I extract the data from that packet and send it again on my own socket also bound to port 47998 (so the source port is correct) with the destination specified in the packet and the port that we saved from the Shield's last communication. With this code, the Shield can connect to a PC from behind a NAT.

Instructions
1. Download and install the Shield Proxy APK on the Shield from https://github.com/cgutman/ShieldProxyAndroid/releases
2. Install WinPcap on your streaming PC from http://www.winpcap.org/install/
2.1 Only required for v0.1-- Install the Visual C++ 2013 runtime library for x86 (use x86 even on x64 systems) from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=39315
3. Ensure your router is configured properly as described in the next section.
4. Download and run the Shield Proxy Windows program on your streaming PC from https://github.com/cgutman/ShieldProxyWindows/releases
5. On the Android app, fill in the externally accessible IP address or DNS name for your router. You can get your external IP address from http://www.whatsmyip.org/ on your streaming PC.
6. Tap the start button to start the Android relay service
7. Stream like normal from the TegraZone app

NAT/Router configuration for Shield streaming
The following ports need to be forwarded to the streaming PC:
UDP 47998, 47999, 48000, 5354 (MDNS relay port)
TCP 35043, 47989, 47991, 47995, 47996

Troubleshooting
Make sure ShieldProxy.exe is allowed through Windows Firewall for Private and Public networks.
Make sure ShieldProxy.exe and the Android Shield Proxy service are running
Make sure the external IP address of your streaming PC is correct in the Android app (use http://www.whatsmyip.org/ from your streaming PC)

If TegraZone doesn't show your PC as online and you see "We haven't received any DNS responses. Is the Windows Shield Proxy running on your PC?",
Ensure the router is properly forwarding the specified ports to your PC. Note that TCP vs UDP matters when setting the router forwarding configuration.

Issues
If anyone encounters problems, please report them here or on the GitHub issues page. I'll try my best to get them fixed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cgutman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jonbo298
Old
Thanks Meter 11
After getting all the initial setup done, it's seemingly ran great so far; considering the circumstances. Haven't had any errors besides some DNS thing I didn't get to read fully when it booted up Steam but did not have any impact on playability.

daethang
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default DLL error

I keep getting an error that MSVCR120.dll is missing. I checked the windows\system32 folder and it wasn't there, so installed the Visual C++ redistributable package for Visual Studio 2012 and 2013 Preview. This added the DLL to the system32 folder, but still getting the same error after a reboot. Tried copying the DLL to the directory for Shield Proxy and it then gives me an error "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click ok to close the application.

Any ideas?

Thanks and thanks for putting this together!

Cheers!

cgutman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by daethang View Post
I keep getting an error that MSVCR120.dll is missing. I checked the windows\system32 folder and it wasn't there, so installed the Visual C++ redistributable package for Visual Studio 2012 and 2013 Preview. This added the DLL to the system32 folder, but still getting the same error after a reboot. Tried copying the DLL to the directory for Shield Proxy and it then gives me an error "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click ok to close the application.

Any ideas?

Thanks and thanks for putting this together!

Cheers!
I can't remember whether the 64-bit Visual C++ redistributable includes both 32-bit and 64-bit runtime dlls. The relay is built as a 32-bit program so it needs the 32-bit runtime even on a 64-bit machine.

For the next version, I'll build it with the runtime linked into the executable so people won't have to hunt down the runtime.

daethang
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutman View Post
I can't remember whether the 64-bit Visual C++ redistributable includes both 32-bit and 64-bit runtime dlls. The relay is built as a 32-bit program so it needs the 32-bit runtime even on a 64-bit machine.

For the next version, I'll build it with the runtime linked into the executable so people won't have to hunt down the runtime.
Thanks - installed the 2013 32bit preview and it worked like a charm after. Will start testing the remote streaming now. Thanks for the quick pointer. Appreciate it!

Cheers

cgutman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 138
Quote:
Thanks - installed the 2013 32bit preview and it worked like a charm after. Will start testing the remote streaming now. Thanks for the quick pointer. Appreciate it!

Cheers
Cool, I updated the instructions to mention that the Visual C++ 2013 x86 runtime is required.

david419kr
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Oh, nice.

Since VPN method didn't work on my rig, I tried this one... and works great!

thanks a lot.

daethang
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Seems to be working here as well, although similar to VPN, streaming outside of my WIFI connection doesn't seem to work. The game will start and every once in a while I will see video start (more often though just a blank screen followed by a timeout). My home connection has 55 down and ~12 up, so I think the connection on that end is good. I have tried from multiple remote locations, but none of them have worked so far. Will do some speed tests on the remote connections to see if they are the cause. Splashtop seems to stream fine when on remote connection, so I dont think its a connection issue. One thing that works better on this solution is the PC actually shows as available, for some reason it does not when on VPN.

cgutman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 138
Quote:
Seems to be working here as well, although similar to VPN, streaming outside of my WIFI connection doesn't seem to work. The game will start and every once in a while I will see video start (more often though just a blank screen followed by a timeout). My home connection has 55 down and ~12 up, so I think the connection on that end is good. I have tried from multiple remote locations, but none of them have worked so far. Will do some speed tests on the remote connections to see if they are the cause. Splashtop seems to stream fine when on remote connection, so I dont think its a connection issue. One thing that works better on this solution is the PC actually shows as available, for some reason it does not when on VPN.
From what it sounds like, the MDNS relay is working fine and the router is definitely configured correctly because you get video sometimes. I assume you also see the message in the ShieldProxy.exe console: "Shield is now communicating with us on port XXXXX".

If I had to speculate, I'd say it's related to high packet loss. Shield streaming (both on the network and through my proxy) use UDP for the video stream and a PPTP VPN uses GRE packets which are both lossy protocols, while Splashtop uses TCP which retransmits lost packets. It may be that the ISP is doing some QoS stuff that's causing non-TCP packets to be dropped at a higher rate, but this is complete speculation.

The Shield pings the streaming PC and the streaming PC sends back video data, but if the pings aren't reaching the streaming PC or the video isn't reaching the Shield, you get the dreaded "Streaming failed due to network interference ... etc" message.

The upside is that we can better troubleshoot the issue based on the output from the Windows Shield proxy. If you could paste that here, I could take a look (remove the last 2 octets of the IP addresses, so 192.168.1.1 becomes 192.168.X.X). Also if you would post what ISP you're using and where you were trying to connect from (whichever ones you feel comfortable mentioning).

HobsonA
Old
(Last edited by HobsonA; 9th September 2013 at 08:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
I can't seem to get any of those ports open except 47989, even when I change my setup to be directly connected to my SB6141 modem. Port 5354 always appears closed and can't be accessed so I never can see my computer when I try connecting with the shield proxy app posted above.

Anyway to change the port to something other than 5354 or any idea why the port always appears closed even when connected from computer to modem?

Thanks

Edit: It seems only ports that are being listened to on netstat -an will appear as open to a port checker. Shouldn't there be something on that list listening for 5354 in order for Shield proxy to connect to that port?

Tags
external, internet, shield, streaming, vpn