OP varun.c.jain

7th September 2013, 11:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Bern
Thanks Meter: 37

51 posts
Donate to Me
More
Using the already available information on the internet and a few threads of this XDA forum, I figured out how to get Netflix working in Switzerland, without having to use a VPN service.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a replacement for a VPN service and its functionality, but an alternative way to use geoblocked websites outside their origin countries. This workaround needs you to have either a DD-WRT router or atleast a router on which you can configure iptables via CLI.
  • You will need admin access to your home router. Connect to this router via web interface or command line whichever is applicable.
  • Follow Setup Guides for Multiple Devices and setup your home router with the Unlocator DNS IPs
  • Follow How to Setup DD-WRT to Work With Chromecast
  • I didn't have a DD-WRT router but with admin access I could use the commands in the previous step on the command line of my TP-Link W8960N router.
  • You can replace the DNS IPs in these commands with any other service that you are using for eg. Unblock-US
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -j DNAT --to-destination 185.37.37.37
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -j DNAT --to-destination 185.37.37.185
  • Edit: Due to some problems with newer Netflix app versions on the Chromecast build 19084 these iptables rules seem to be a better option. They redirect only DNS requests made to Google servers to the server of your choice
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 185.37.37.37
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 185.37.37.37
  • Try playing any Netflix content in the Chrome browser, and use the Netflix player's Chromecast button to cast your content. It will work without any issues as your Chromecast will be able to bypass having to query Google's DNS and query Unlocator's DNS.
  • You can now try the same from any Android or iOS device using the appropriate Netflix app. (You can find the Netflix apk here)
  • Happy Netflixing!

Here are detailed and confirmed working steps to:
Last edited by varun.c.jain; 17th October 2014 at 06:35 PM.
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to varun.c.jain For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th September 2013, 12:05 PM   |  #2  
Flag Oslo
Thanks Meter: 3

39 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufree2talk

Using the already available information on the internet and a few threads of this XDA forum, I figured out how to get Netflix working in Switzerland, without having to use a VPN service.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a replacement for a VPN service and its functionality, but an alternative way to use geoblocked websites outside their origin countries. This workaround needs you to have either a DD-WRT router or atleast a router on which you can configure iptables via CLI.

• You will need admin access to your home router. Connect to this router via web interface or command line whichever is applicable.
  • Follow How to Setup DD-WRT to Work With Chromecast
  • I didn't have a DD-WRT router but with admin access I could use the commands in the previous step on the command line of my TP-Link W8960N router.
  • Use a free VPN service like Tunnelbear on your Android/iOS device or PC/Mac to connect to Netflix and setup your account. You can use any Credit Card as long as you provide the correct name and verification code. You can use any random USA based ZIP code.
  • I went ahead and created another iptables rule to force using Unlocator's DNS for all DNS queries via my router, hence making the need for this VPN step redundant. I can now access netflix.com without any VPN connection.
  • Try playing any Netflix content in the Chrome browser, and use the Netflix player's Chromecast button to cast your content. It will work without any issues as your Chromecast will be able to bypass having to query Google's DNS and query Unlocator's DNS.
  • You can now try the same from any Android or iOS device using the appropriate Netflix app. (You can find the Netflix apk here)
  • Happy Netflixing!

WOW,

I can confirm that this works from Norway!
Thanks a a lot for the tips about unlocator. Have not heard about them before.

Jo Christian
The Following User Says Thank You to jochr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th September 2013, 10:20 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Bern

51 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by jochr

WOW,

I can confirm that this works from Norway!
Thanks a a lot for the tips about unlocator. Have not heard about them before.

Jo Christian

Thanks for confirming this! Glad to know it worked for you. Even I chanced upon Unlocator by a Google search on DNS spoofing. I think they are quite new as the Beta channel was launched just around the end of July this year.
9th September 2013, 06:13 PM   |  #4  
Free vpn through netherlands

Username:free
Password:1492

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
11th September 2013, 02:17 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
Question Works out of the box from Denmark
Chromecast netflix works out of the box from Denmark, subtitles and everything. Is it because you use a US Netflix instead of a local one?
The Following User Says Thank You to xylifyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th September 2013, 04:01 PM   |  #6  
OP Member
Flag Bern

51 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylifyx

Chromecast netflix works out of the box from Denmark, subtitles and everything. Is it because you use a US Netflix instead of a local one?

Well that is because Netflix has a Danish website to begin with. I am located in Switzerland, where there is no Netflix or anything even remotely similar.
Even then, if at any time you feel that the content on the Danish Netflix is outdated as compared to the USA Netflix, you could use the information in the first post to access the USA Netflix. I heard Netflix launched in Netherlands today, but it doesn't have a lot of latest content especially for TV shows.
As a matter of fact, if you have an Unlocator account, you can switch to any country's Netflix, by just selecting it from your Channel Settings page
Last edited by varun.c.jain; 11th September 2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Included Unlocator channel settings information
12th September 2013, 05:06 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 3

134 posts
Why not use the orbot method? Works for me, but must be roooted. Just turn on orbot on your phone or tablet and use any geoblocked app you want. Have to set the specific exit nodes for the us, but after the setup everything runs smoothly. I prefer this method that way i choose which apps use orbot and avoid bouncing private info off unknown servers. The only is when using netflix through orbot I get no cast button.
The Following User Says Thank You to mr_esmit For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th September 2013, 03:56 PM   |  #8  
Flag São Paulo
Thanks Meter: 28

75 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm usina netflix Brazil without VPN

Sent from my C6503 using Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to vinaaa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th September 2013, 06:43 PM   |  #9  
OP Member
Flag Bern

51 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaaa

I'm usina netflix Brazil without VPN

Well congratulations to you! On the other hand being able to access Netflix Brazil while sitting in São Paulo ain't much of a mean feat
This tutorial is meant for two kinds of people:
  1. users like myself who happen to be in a country where Netflix isn't available
  2. users like you who happen to be in a Netflix supported country, but would like to access the Netflix content of another country
Entende?
The Following User Says Thank You to varun.c.jain For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th September 2013, 08:19 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 23

54 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufree2talk

Well congratulations to you! On the other hand being able to access Netflix Brazil while sitting in São Paulo ain't much of a mean feat
This tutorial is meant for two kinds of people:

1. users like myself who happen to be in a country where Netflix isn't available
  2. users like you who happen to be in a Netflix supported country, but would like to access the Netflix content of another country
Entende?

Don't know why you are having that attitude, but I appreciate his comment. I'm outside the US and Chromecast supposedly only worked with Netlfix US. Glad to know its not the case.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread