DISCLAIMER: This is not a replacement for a VPN service and its functionality, but an alternative way to use geoblocked websites outside their origin countries. This workaround needs you to have either a DD-WRT router or atleast a router on which you can configure iptables via CLI.
- Sign up for the free beta at Unlocator
- You will need admin access to your home router. Connect to this router via web interface or command line whichever is applicable.
- Follow Setup Guides for Multiple Devices and setup your home router with the Unlocator DNS IPs
- Follow How to Setup DD-WRT to Work With Chromecast
- I didn't have a DD-WRT router but with admin access I could use the commands in the previous step on the command line of my TP-Link W8960N router.
- You can replace the DNS IPs in these commands with any other service that you are using for eg. Unblock-US
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 188.8.131.52 -j DNAT --to-destination 184.108.40.206 iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 220.127.116.11 -j DNAT --to-destination 18.104.22.168
- Try playing any Netflix content in the Chrome browser, and use the Netflix player's Chromecast button to cast your content. It will work without any issues as your Chromecast will be able to bypass having to query Google's DNS and query Unlocator's DNS.
- You can now try the same from any Android or iOS device using the appropriate Netflix app. (You can find the Netflix apk here)
- Happy Netflixing!
Here are detailed and confirmed working steps to: