Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,266 Members 40,512 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Universal, jasJAR memory does not match specs

Tip us?

smb5823
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Universal, jasJAR memory does not match specs

The reported/quoted imate specs say 128MB flash ROM and 64MB SDRAM.

My device reports:
Storage Memory Total 43.72MB
Program Memory Total 47.93MB

With no applications other than the branded OS installed (33.05MB 'In use by both Storage and Programs) giving that leaves

Storage Memory Free 30.47MB
Program Memory Free 28.14MB

Where is the missing 158MB of memory? How can I access the missing memory?

Also, what happens if I install applications to the SD card. Do they still work?

eman
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Yes, they would still work if you instlal programms on storage card.
This is strange, as I think there should be more storage memory than you have right now. About 17 Megs of your memory is also being used by useless cab files which were there for the first time install.. There are ways and means to reformat the drive and actually gain all this space (Extended_Rom) but it involves some advanced tricks in doing this. Nevertheless The rom should more storage not just 40 Megs (?) can someone else confirm this is the available ROM on the JasJar?

smb5823
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default I can't add up

My earlier post should not say missing 158MB of memory, cause if you add up my figures there is just 100MB missing. Had a long day messing around with my new device, and as I say my maths ain't that hot anyway.

Thanks for the advice on installing apps to the storage card.

rilot
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Same here 43.72MB Storage memory and 47.93MB Program memory.

Not happy.

simon_darley
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default memory

Expansys website states the following specs:

Memory
Flash ROM: 128 MB
RAM: 64 MB SDRAM

can be found here:

http://www.expansys.com.au/product.asp?code=119353

If it doesnt match, I would be sending it back, or sueing for false advertising.
HTC TyTn II (Kaiser)
HTC Original ROM and Radio

Imate Jasjam (over 30 different ROMS)

Imate K-Jam (lacking 3G/HSDPA)
WM6 - TNT 4.0

Imate Jasjar (to big, 20 diferent ROMS)

02 XDAII (10 different ROMS)

Also the most pathetic useless crappiest piece of **** phone ever put onto the Telstra Network - HTC Touch Pro (ALL BEWARE DONT USE THIS ON TELSTRA - DOESNT HAVE AN 850 BAND) limited to Edge. Phone resets itself constantly HTC refuse to fix these deficiences.

seal
Old
Thanks Meter 7
What the hell is going on here, $1650 for this device and it has less memory than a Jam and lieing on the website. mmmmmmmm, I would be mad, real mad, someone should die for this, this is worse than the new Telstra boss.

simon_darley
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default memory

yeah i already ordered mine and am waiting on it to see. i know the way it interprets and runs is different to previous versions, ie my understanding is a hard reset retains its data, so it means it installs directly to ROM and stays there.
From that I can only summise that you can install a maximum of 128 meg of operating system and software direct to ROM, but can only run a maximum of 64 meg into RAM at any point in time, including the operating system, data, and applications.
Then you only use the RAM when you launch the applications, but this would also require the ppc to use some of it, which would appear to be about 20 meg from the previous stats, leaving a max of 40 meg to actually be running at any point in time.
Anyway, wait and see, hopefully should only be about a week as we are on the otherside of the world from where most people are getting them from.

Eitherway, it appears to the best state of the art phone currently available, so we'll just have to see.

Anybody that has already got one, how long does the battery last when running the WIFI? I know my XDAII with a Netgear CF can be drained in a little over 1 hour including the backpacks battery and the main battery.
HTC TyTn II (Kaiser)
HTC Original ROM and Radio

Imate Jasjam (over 30 different ROMS)

Imate K-Jam (lacking 3G/HSDPA)
WM6 - TNT 4.0

Imate Jasjar (to big, 20 diferent ROMS)

02 XDAII (10 different ROMS)

Also the most pathetic useless crappiest piece of **** phone ever put onto the Telstra Network - HTC Touch Pro (ALL BEWARE DONT USE THIS ON TELSTRA - DOESNT HAVE AN 850 BAND) limited to Edge. Phone resets itself constantly HTC refuse to fix these deficiences.

vpreHoose
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default ROM and RAM size fine

On my JASJAR bought in Dubai yesterday the Device Information says:
RAM Size:64Mb
Flash Size: 128MB

The way Windows Mobile 5.0 manages memory is differnet to Windows Mobile as all the memory is persistent. So you don't lose your data when the device powers off.

But it uses the RAM and ROM more like a PC. The Memory Settings area shows the Storage and Program memories.

The 128Mb of ROM is used for storing the Operating System and for storing user data! The OS takes up about 84.5Mb, leaving on my device 43.5Mb for Storage.

The 64Mb RAM is RAM for running programs. The OS takes about 16Mb at runtime leaving the 47.93Mb Program memory for me to run my programs.

jeet
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default Re: ROM and RAM size fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpreHoose
On my JASJAR bought in Dubai yesterday the Device Information says:
RAM Size:64Mb
Flash Size: 128MB

The way Windows Mobile 5.0 manages memory is differnet to Windows Mobile as all the memory is persistent. So you don't lose your data when the device powers off.

But it uses the RAM and ROM more like a PC. The Memory Settings area shows the Storage and Program memories.

The 128Mb of ROM is used for storing the Operating System and for storing user data! The OS takes up about 84.5Mb, leaving on my device 43.5Mb for Storage.

The 64Mb RAM is RAM for running programs. The OS takes about 16Mb at runtime leaving the 47.93Mb Program memory for me to run my programs.

how much price did u pay for imate jasjar in Dubai.

thx

smb5823
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I am dissapointed. My PDA2K has all my major apps installed and still has 18MB free.

The jasJAR with just tomtom5 installed has only 20MB free.