Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,562 Members 37,944 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wireless Charging Thread.

Tip us?

deathshead
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 156
Default Wireless Charging Thread.

Wireless Charging thread.

Note 3 supports Wireless charging as did the Note 2.

Wireless charging is a MUST for me as I have many devices and im getting sick of plugging in wires.

Looks like Samsung is introducing the extremely expensive "official" wireless charging setup,

But we will also have options such as QI in which you can buy just the reciever and stick it under any cover you like.

Lets see what options we have here and compare.

IamPro
Old
Thanks Meter 211
Any word if VZN is gonna mess it up like on the Note 2? Not sure they'd have enough time to tho.

deathshead
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamPro View Post
Any word if VZN is gonna mess it up like on the Note 2? Not sure they'd have enough time to tho.
How did they mess up the Note 2 besides the decal on the home button?
I havent been around the Note 2 scene at all due to being stuck on my launch day vzw Gnex.

IamPro
Old
Thanks Meter 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathshead View Post
How did they mess up the Note 2 besides the decal on the home button?
I havent been around the Note 2 scene at all due to being stuck on my launch day vzw Gnex.
They removed the charging pins and covered it up with plastic (u'd have to drill holes then use copper wiring if u wanted it)

RaptorMD
Old
Thanks Meter 217
That is rather stupid of them, its an accessory they can sell but of course it's Verizon and they are always NOT looking out for the customer.

lazyboy0172
Old
Thanks Meter 3
okay, so what all is this going to entail for me? I'm not really familiar with wireless charging on samsung devices, as far as I know it's 'pseudo-supported' but not out of the box, is that right? I'm coming from a nexus 4 and I have a few Qi chargers around the house that I'd really like to work with my Note 3...what do I have to do to accomplish that task?

IamPro
Old
(Last edited by IamPro; 11th September 2013 at 03:36 AM.)
Thanks Meter 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboy0172 View Post
okay, so what all is this going to entail for me? I'm not really familiar with wireless charging on samsung devices, as far as I know it's 'pseudo-supported' but not out of the box, is that right? I'm coming from a nexus 4 and I have a few Qi chargers around the house that I'd really like to work with my Note 3...what do I have to do to accomplish that task?
On the Nexus 4/Droid Maxx its built in while on the Note 2/S4 that leave the pins so you can buy the Qi receiver (Samsung has their own back), there is the slim possibility that Samsung has it built in but unlikely.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamPro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sbduce
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Any word on this? I also posted the question on Verizons site but no answer as of yet.

kiter86
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbduce View Post
Any word on this? I also posted the question on Verizons site but no answer as of yet.
I asked Verizon in chat and they gave me a pretty straight forward answer

"You: will Verizon block the Wireless charging capabilities of the Note 3 as they did with the note 2. (ability to add the wireless charging back to it)

Lonnie: No, they wont.

You: so the note 3 will have wireless charging with the added accessory?

Lonnie: Yes."

take it for what it is worth, but it sounds like good news to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to kiter86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrlaigle
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
They removed the charging pins and covered it up with plastic (u'd have to drill holes then use copper wiring if u wanted it)
They left it open and normal on the S4. Verizon has been super big on wireless charging. I can't see them going away from it here. But to never know.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiter86 View Post
I asked Verizon in chat and they gave me a pretty straight forward answer

"You: will Verizon block the Wireless charging capabilities of the Note 3 as they did with the note 2. (ability to add the wireless charging back to it)

Lonnie: No, they wont.

You: so the note 3 will have wireless charging with the added accessory?

Lonnie: Yes."

take it for what it is worth, but it sounds like good news to me.
Take it with a grain of salt. As these employees know nothing about the device. I find it humorous that they provide answers the questions that don't know.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

The Following User Says Thank You to mrlaigle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]