Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,898 Members 50,543 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] DNA to Straight Talk T-Mobile vs AT&T

Tip us?
 
impala454
Old
#1  
impala454's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 100
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: League City, TX
Default [Q] DNA to Straight Talk T-Mobile vs AT&T

I currently have a Droid DNA through Verizon and would like to switch to Straight Talk. I see options for both AT&T and T-Mobile compatible SIM cards, and am curious which one I should go with. I live in the Houston area. I prefer not to have to cut the card but it's not a deal breaker.
 
xlxcrossing
Old
#2  
xlxcrossing's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 295
Posts: 1,160
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Soquel, CA
In my area AT&T has much wider and more reliable data coverage. I was often on edge everywhere in my hometown while on T-Mobile. This may not be the case for Houston. Just test drive both networks for a month each.
The Following User Says Thank You to xlxcrossing For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
impala454
Old
#3  
impala454's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 100
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: League City, TX
Ah, excellent point. Should be cheap enough to try them both. Thanks!
 
kutster
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 60
Join Date: Apr 2011
I actually work in Electronics at Walmart and deal with this all the time. Straight Talk will not move 4G LTE phones to their service. They aren't compatible and do not have the agreements with carriers for LTE access. If you read the CDMA/GSM bring your own phone package that includes the SIM cards it says in bold writing LTE Phones are not compatible. The DNA would not be able to be used on Straight Talk because it is a LTE phone. Straight Talk has a list of approved devices on their website. Because you do have to provide your phones IMEI they will know it is a LTE phone and deny your request to activate the phone on their services.
The Following User Says Thank You to kutster For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
impala454
Old
#5  
impala454's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 100
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: League City, TX
Kutster, I hate to correct you but I actually did successfully connect my Droid DNA using the Walmart SIM card. Now in my area it was actually called FamilyMobile, and run by T-Mobile. I purchased a SIM card from Walmart, took it home, plugged it in, set up an account, and it worked. Granted, you don't get LTE, but it does work and is mega cheap ($40/mo unlimited). I ended up cancelling and taking it back, simply because the internet was very slow, and the coverage wasn't very good in my area (T-Mobile sucks in my area). I do want to stress though that it definitely does work! I think I'll try AT&T GoPhone next.

The important thing to remember is this phone (the DNA) has all the radios necessary to connect to just about anybody but Sprint's network. Don't always believe what the companies tell ya.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to impala454 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
kutster
Old
(Last edited by kutster; 13th September 2013 at 04:29 PM.)
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 60
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
Kutster, I hate to correct you but I actually did successfully connect my Droid DNA using the Walmart SIM card. Now in my area it was actually called FamilyMobile, and run by T-Mobile. I purchased a SIM card from Walmart, took it home, plugged it in, set up an account, and it worked. Granted, you don't get LTE, but it does work and is mega cheap ($40/mo unlimited). I ended up cancelling and taking it back, simply because the internet was very slow, and the coverage wasn't very good in my area (T-Mobile sucks in my area). I do want to stress though that it definitely does work! I think I'll try AT&T GoPhone next.

The important thing to remember is this phone (the DNA) has all the radios necessary to connect to just about anybody but Sprint's network. Don't always believe what the companies tell ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala454
I currently have a Droid DNA through Verizon and would like to switch to Straight Talk
See that's where your terms and confusion of prepaid comes into play. Of course Family Mobile worked they don't have restrictions on LTE especially since Family Mobile is powered by T-mobile. Straight Talk which is the company I was referring to and the company you were referring to does has limitations on LTE phones, and will NOT allow any LTE phone to to brought to their service. This has to do with they license the use of multiple carriers towers.

Trust me I am not trying to be rude, but I honestly deal with this on a daily basis. You know how many Straight Talk bring your own phone kits I have had to refund because customers buy them for their nice Verizon LTE smartphones? It doesn't work. I am telling you from my experience and my countless hours on the phone with Straight Talk reps and on their website, what their policy is on LTE phones. I beg you to go to Walmart and look at the Straight Talk CDMA/GSM BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) kits that they sell for $60. In the middle of that package on the front it says something along the lines of "LTE Phones are not Compatible." Which like it reads means you cannot bring over a LTE phone to Straight Talk.

AT&T prepaid I would venture to guess would work, but I can't remember if AT&T is as picky as Verizon is about what smartphones get put on their prepaid plans. You would have to call and find out.

So once again, please keep in mind that every prepaid carrier is different, use different towers, and different policies. Just because it worked on one does not mean a different company has policies that differ or block that same practice.
 
impala454
Old
#7  
impala454's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 100
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: League City, TX
I didn't realize StraightTalk and FamilyMobile were different. I just assumed that when I went to Walmart it was whatever they were using. I see now that StraightTalk is AT&T and FamilyMobile is T-Mobile. I only had the option for FamilyMobile at my Walmart. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not going to disagree, but I will say that the FamilyMobile website also said my specific phone was not eligible, but it did in fact work. So to anyone else reading this, YMMV. Considering Walmart takes the card back for a full refund, I don't see a problem in at least attempting it (except that employees such as yourself have to deal with it ). It makes sense to me that there's no way for the carrier to enforce specific phones when they are SIM card based. So long as your phone has the radios that carrier operates on, it should work. My guess is that the LTE phones statement on the package is in reference to the fact that you won't get LTE speeds with that network.
 
xlxcrossing
Old
#8  
xlxcrossing's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 295
Posts: 1,160
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Soquel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutster View Post
See that's where your terms and confusion of prepaid comes into play. Of course Family Mobile worked they don't have restrictions on LTE especially since Family Mobile is powered by T-mobile. Straight Talk which is the company I was referring to and the company you were referring to does has limitations on LTE phones, and will NOT allow any LTE phone to to brought to their service. This has to do with they license the use of multiple carriers towers.

Trust me I am not trying to be rude, but I honestly deal with this on a daily basis. You know how many Straight Talk bring your own phone kits I have had to refund because customers buy them for their nice Verizon LTE smartphones? It doesn't work. I am telling you from my experience and my countless hours on the phone with Straight Talk reps and on their website, what their policy is on LTE phones. I beg you to go to Walmart and look at the Straight Talk CDMA/GSM BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) kits that they sell for $60. In the middle of that package on the front it says something along the lines of "LTE Phones are not Compatible." Which like it reads means you cannot bring over a LTE phone to Straight Talk.

AT&T prepaid I would venture to guess would work, but I can't remember if AT&T is as picky as Verizon is about what smartphones get put on their prepaid plans. You would have to call and find out.

So once again, please keep in mind that every prepaid carrier is different, use different towers, and different policies. Just because it worked on one does not mean a different company has policies that differ or block that same practice.
Being an an LTE device wouldn't matter in this case since the LTE radio will only work on the CDMA side of the phone and with Verizon's LTE. It has UMTS and Straight Talk already confirmed with me the phone would get 3G while on their network. There's not a magic way of them detecting an LTE phone ( one that works on a CDMA carrier mind you) and flipping the off switch. The 2G and 3G networks are available for AT&T and T-Mobile regardless of which prepaid carrier you use.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
 
kutster
Old
(Last edited by kutster; 13th September 2013 at 08:20 PM.)
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 60
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlxcrossing View Post
Being an an LTE device wouldn't matter in this case since the LTE radio will only work on the CDMA side of the phone and with Verizon's LTE. It has UMTS and Straight Talk already confirmed with me the phone would get 3G while on their network. There's not a magic way of them detecting an LTE phone ( one that works on a CDMA carrier mind you) and flipping the off switch. The 2G and 3G networks are available for AT&T and T-Mobile regardless of which prepaid carrier you use.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4

Im not going to argue about it. When you go to activate a BYOP on Straight Talk you have to input the IMEI, which does tell Straight Talk if the phone is LTE capable or not and if it isn't eligible it will not allow you to activate the phone. Period. I hate done it and tried it. It isn't like ATT where you put in the SIM card and it is activated. You activate the phone IMEI and SIM card # with Straight Talk. That is how it works with BYOP.

@Impala Im glad you had luck getting Family Mobile working.
 
holyinstantrice
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Aug 2013
Uh, I'm currently using Straight Talk on my DNA with full HSPA+ capability, as are many others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes