LG G2 (All Released Variants Confirmed) Rooted (Instructions Inside)

OP djkinetic

17th September 2013, 05:05 AM   |  #451  
OP Senior Member
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 1,035

2,792 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS139115

I am comfortable with linux, I use it on a daily basis. However, my knowledge of adb is quite limited. So I'd be glad to do this if it's of any use to the dev community, I just need a bit more info on how to backup, wipe, and restore recovery (via adb I would assume).

There are already devs working on the phone, but if you want to help in some way you can join in IRC #lg-g2 on freenode
The Following User Says Thank You to djkinetic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th September 2013, 09:53 AM   |  #452  
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 7,291

954 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hey guys,

So, I've taken a look at this application, and while it appears to do what it says on the tin, I can't be 100% sure that it doesn't provide some 'value added' services as well. There's code in the app to do automatic updates, collect personal information ( http://pastebin.com/pxtDsGbC ), potentially listen to things like your SMS messages ( http://pastebin.com/yruveH33 ), and even change your wallpaper.

It also injects .so files into system_server and servicemanager, both of which appear at quick glance to possibly persist across reboots.

This is compounded by the fact that this application will have full root permissions after executed. In short, I don't trust it.

I have confirmed that jcase's root for the Moto X ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=45598679 ) can be adapted to this device quite easily. (DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE UNMODIFIED MOTO X ROOT ON YOUR G2)

When jcase returns back to IRC I'll detail my observations to him so he can post a new root.

Also, as usual, Team Codefire continues to support this new LG device, and we look forward to having an announcement for an unlock or bypass in the next few weeks.

Thanks y'all for your patience!

EDIT: I've just confirmed there's a no-brainer root in the ATT shipping ROM, which I take no credit for finding. I'm going to run it by jcase tomorrow to ensure that I'm not spoiling anything if I post it.
If you're planning on rooting your phone, just wait until tomorrow (Tuesday afternoon at least!)

EDIT2: There also appears to be a LOT of root checking going on in this phone, the stock recovery binary blows some qfuses if you've rooted your phone, and there's no known way to reset those.
Basically, don't root yet. Please!

EDIT3: My previous statement about qfuses in recovery is incorrect.. it is *READING* them
Last edited by thecubed; 17th September 2013 at 01:39 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thecubed For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th September 2013, 12:44 PM   |  #453  
Thanks Meter: 250

1,006 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecubed

Hey guys,

EDIT: I've just confirmed there's a no-brainer root in the ATT shipping ROM, which I take no credit for finding. I'm going to run it by jcase tomorrow to ensure that I'm not spoiling anything if I post it.
If you're planning on rooting your phone, just wait until tomorrow (Tuesday afternoon at least!)

Any idea if this no-brainer exists in the VZW version as well?

(please say yes please say yes please say yes )
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisexv6 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th September 2013, 01:47 PM   |  #454  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 31

123 posts
More
Quote:

Hey guys,

So, I've taken a look at this application, and while it appears to do what it says on the tin, I can't be 100% sure that it doesn't provide some 'value added' services as well. There's code in the app to do automatic updates, collect personal information ( http://pastebin.com/pxtDsGbC ), potentially listen to things like your SMS messages ( http://pastebin.com/yruveH33 ), and even change your wallpaper.

It also injects .so files into system_server and servicemanager, both of which appear at quick glance to possibly persist across reboots.

This is compounded by the fact that this application will have full root permissions after executed. In short, I don't trust it.

I have confirmed that jcase's root for the Moto X ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=45598679 ) can be adapted to this device quite easily. (DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE UNMODIFIED MOTO X ROOT ON YOUR G2)

When jcase returns back to IRC I'll detail my observations to him so he can post a new root.

Also, as usual, Team Codefire continues to support this new LG device, and we look forward to having an announcement for an unlock or bypass in the next few weeks.

Thanks y'all for your patience!

EDIT2: There also appears to be a LOT of root checking going on in this phone, the stock recovery binary blows some qfuses if you've rooted your phone, and there's no known way to reset those.
Basically, don't root yet. Please!

EDIT3: My previous statement about qfuses in recovery is incorrect.. it is *READING* them

Thank R'hllor for edit3.

Out of curiosity, does a factory reset return the device to unrooted status or does that require a flash back to stock?

Sent from my VS980 4G
17th September 2013, 02:00 PM   |  #455  
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 7,291

954 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anuraj1

Thank R'hllor for edit3.

Out of curiosity, does a factory reset return the device to unrooted status or does that require a flash back to stock?

Sent from my VS980 4G

No, factory reset does not remove the files that rootchecker changes, nor will LGNPST, they live in /persist and a few other random places. It's best not to set off the trap in the first place if possible.
17th September 2013, 02:03 PM   |  #456  
Flag Worcester
Thanks Meter: 8

78 posts
More
Quote:

Thank R'hllor for edit3.

Sent from my VS980 4G

oooh! Hell no! Just rooted last night(Verizon lg g2) how do we go back to stock then
17th September 2013, 02:11 PM   |  #457  

1,006 posts
Quote:

No, factory reset does not remove the files that rootchecker changes, nor will LGNPST, they live in /persist and a few other random places. It's best not to set off the trap in the first place if possible.

I agree its better not to set off the trap, but I think the bigger question is if the carriers ever even look at these file(s) if you go to return your phone.

Coming from Samsung, it seems LG has a similar utility to recover from a soft brick. Ive had my Samsung phones "bricked" more than a few times but there was never a point where I couldnt fix it. Therefore Ive never needed to return a "broken" phone (nor would I, honestly, its my own damn fault if I mess it up). If LG works the same way, I wouldnt be TOO uncomfortable "setting off the trap", but Ill wait as long as I can to do so.

My VZW G2 is being delivered today, Im not even going to boot it up until cubed reports back findings about the no-brainer root.
17th September 2013, 02:11 PM   |  #458  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 31

123 posts
More
Quote:

So with a factory rest or flashing back to stock firmware the built-in root checker will continue to say "rooted"?
17th September 2013, 02:13 PM   |  #459  
Flag Charlotte NC
Thanks Meter: 41

545 posts
More
We are screwed n glued
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclocker

oooh! Hell no! Just rooted last night(Verizon lg g2) how do we go back to stock then

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk
17th September 2013, 02:15 PM   |  #460  

1,006 posts
Quote:

So with a factory rest or flashing back to stock firmware the built-in root checker will continue to say "rooted"?

I thought someone (even in this thread) tried this and it did in fact go back to saying Unrooted.

Behind the scenes (on the file system) there could still be some evidence, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisexv6 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread