MT6589 Galaxy S4 clone issues and some solutions, and an easy way to change IMEI

Search This thread
Sep 11, 2013
I've got two identical Galaxy S4 "1:1 copy" clone devices for children. At a price of around 180 USD, ordered at AliExpress. I want to share some of my experience.

Physically the devices are quite good, the plastic feels good. The screen is just a bit smaller compared with the original. Guess they are very much the same size as the real thing, however some rubber covers we've got at a local store don't fit as a glove - feels like the phone is just a wee bit thicker after all.

Problem 1 - Factory Reset

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first stupid thing I've done was a factory reset from the phone menu. This had the following consequences:

1. The boot logo (was showing the original Samsung Galaxy S4 image) changed to a funny green android picture.
2. Boot animation (also identical to the original Samsung boot animation) changed to some blue curling android animation.
3. The IMEI disappeared!

A solution for this was naturally MTK Android Tools from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2160490. I've rooted the phone with one click, this has also installed CWM, simply genius! Then I've changed (or actually added) the IMEI found on a sticker on the phone box. This is a single sim version, by the way.

Problem 2 - Soft brick

After a while I've noticed that some applications complain about memory. Without getting in to all this stuff I read and all, I've decided to give a go to a very strange post from here: http://androidphones13.blogspot.co.il/2013/06/increase-android-internal-memory.html. The effect of this "MTK65XX Repartition App" on the device was disastrous - something wrong with partitioning, and the only working thing remained was the CWM recovery. Bricked the phone. Soft-bricked, anyway.

In order to restore it I've used the MTK Android Tools again and the SmartPhone Flash Tool. You can easily find them by simple googling, there are great instructions on xda. Another helpful guide is "MDRT Factory ROM BackUp.pdf" here: http://d-h.st/d8a. The issues I had on the way are:

1. Software versions. I was searching for MT65xx and downloading, however looks like SP Flash tool earlier than v3.1248 doesn't support the MT6589. Started with (the latest?) v3.1316, but it kept giving me errors related to com port, so went to v3.1248 - however later the other worked as well.
2. Drivers. This is a weird story. In order to use the SP Flash Tool the phone has to be completely off and with battery inside. When you connect it to your computer (Win7), the led on USB hub goes on for a few seconds and then off again. During these short seconds new device is discovered (as com port), called MTK Preloader. You can google for drivers just as I did, and install them. I tried three download links. It is really not that easy to catch driver installation during such a short time. In many cases the SP Flash Tool was popping up a window complaining about the com port. As I've seen on one nice post, just kept trying - with different drivers, quick hand on device manager, and different SP Flash Tool versions as stated above. After about 40 minutes it succeeded, without me doing anything new - so can't give you more details here.

The idea was to use the good phone (second one) to create the scatter file with MTK Android Tools, then to back it up - you have to root it first, by the way - using the same software, then to get it ready for burning with SP Flash Tool (there is a button for that as well), and then burn it as planned. The thing worked.

Download factory ROM - rooted and with CWM

I've uploaded my ROM here: GT-I9500_130708_ForFlashtoolFromReadBack_130911-231423.rar

This is an archive ready to be programmed with SP Flash Tool. It has the scatter file inside, and you can flash various images out of the entire list as per recommendations on some threads here on XDA. I flashed everything to restore the phone. This will require to put the IMEI in again.

Good luck, and share your efforts!

P.S. I've contacted the supplier when the IMEI went blank (the phone writes "Invalid IMEI" on the lock screen and doesn't connect to the operator). After few days he got back to me with the following interesting instructions: Open the dial pad and type *#*#20080808#*#*. A menu appears. Inside chose GPRS and there you can put the new IMEI in. There are dozens of other options in this secret menu as well. Very interesting, guess this is the easy way to change IMEI on MT65xx, or MT6589 at least. Reboot is required, I think.

touji

Jul 9, 2007
papua
i have a MT6589_S00 S4 clone device and has startup bootloop problem, i downloaded your firmware and flash it to my device, now it can turn on but the display is totally blackout, i can still hear the startup logo sounds

could you advice maybe i had to flash it with another firmware instead of using yours?

thanks anyway for posting this firmware for us :D

iyla

Nov 20, 2013
HSDROID S4 - clone samsung

Hye,

I REALLY NEED HELP !!!

First of all, I'm really dumb idiot because I have root my phone without further thinking. After that, I have stupidly delete some of the system maybe. Because now, I can't open my messaging and phone apps. I have try many ways to gain it back. but failed. Then, I think maybe I need to install new ROMs. But again, I'm facing problem because every time I try to install by sd card with zip file in android recovery, there is "E: Signature Verification Failed". Then, I try to install CWM to enable the signature verification but my phone do not support this apps. Now, I don't know what to do. Please help me because this is my first time.

Please guide me with complete and simple solution because I really don't know much about programming and etc2.

My phone :
Hardware :MTK6517
Model : S4
Build Number :S4_20130426.181826
Android Ver : 4.0.4
Baseband Ver : DM_BASE_W12.43/sc6820_modem|11-02-2013
Kernel : 2.6.35.7

PLEASE HELP ME !!!! I REALLY NEED MY PHONE. PLEASEEEE !!!

touji

Jul 9, 2007
papua
i have a MT6589_S00 S4 clone device and has startup bootloop problem, i downloaded your firmware and flash it to my device, now it can turn on but the display is totally blackout, i can still hear the startup logo sounds

could you advice maybe i had to flash it with another firmware instead of using yours?

thanks anyway for posting this firmware for us :D

finally i got it working by using BlueBo ROM
ROM Mobile Bluebo B9500 – ROM Android 4.2.2
Update BlueBo ROM Version: I9868.H31.02.05.A.B_V08.0-0925 ( Rooted )

but the boot up logo is not samsung S4, air gesture is working

imei change is as what you have described

i try to reload your backup file, i flash only Logo and Android it is working (if i full flash download the screen become blank) but the display is upside down :(

chufly

May 9, 2012
Hi guys:

I have a s4 clone dual sim i9500 android version 4.2.3; baseband version MOLY.WR8.W1248.MD.WG.MP.V6.P4,2013/05/04
Kernel version: 3.4.5 root@android#1 mon may 6 17:50:20 CST 2013

In antutu on system info: MT6589,Quad-Core ARMv7 Processor (VFPv3,NEON) 1920*1080,power VR SGX 544MP 2GB RAM

Where can i find a software for it? i don't find any ROM ,or i don't know where i must search.

Thank you very much.

teletalk

Jan 20, 2012
I HAVE SAMSUNG S4 CLONE AND DETAILS ARE HARE PLEASE SUGGEST ME CORRECT ROM TO FLASH MY PHONE WELL MY PHONE IS OK NOW ONLY NETWORK PROBLEM PHONE SWITCH ON VERY WELL BUT NO SERVICE APPEARED SO TRY TO BACK UP WITH MTKdroidTools 2.4.8 BUT NO SUCCESS BECAUSE IN BACKUP FILES THERE IS NO AND MD5 FILE WHICH IS NECESSARY FOR CREATING FLASH FILE FROM FLASHING WITH SP FLASH TOOL
SAMSUNG_S4_CLONE.html

Last edited:

aikonmani

Jul 3, 2007
I've got two identical Galaxy S4 "1:1 copy" clone devices for children. At a price of around 180 USD, ordered at AliExpress. I want to share some of my experience.

Physically the devices are quite good, the plastic feels good. The screen is just a bit smaller compared with the original. Guess they are very much the same size as the real thing, however some rubber covers we've got at a local store don't fit as a glove - feels like the phone is just a wee bit thicker after all.

The first stupid thing I've done was a factory reset from the phone menu. This had the following consequences:

1. The boot logo (was showing the original Samsung Galaxy S4 image) changed to a funny green android picture.
2. Boot animation (also identical to the original Samsung boot animation) changed to some blue curling android animation.
3. The IMEI disappeared!

A solution for this was naturally MTK Android Tools from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2160490. I've rooted the phone with one click, this has also installed CWM, simply genius! Then I've changed (or actually added) the IMEI found on a sticker on the phone box. This is a single sim version, by the way.

Problem 2 - Soft brick

After a while I've noticed that some applications complain about memory. Without getting in to all this stuff I read and all, I've decided to give a go to a very strange post from here: http://androidphones13.blogspot.co.il/2013/06/increase-android-internal-memory.html. The effect of this "MTK65XX Repartition App" on the device was disastrous - something wrong with partitioning, and the only working thing remained was the CWM recovery. Bricked the phone. Soft-bricked, anyway.

In order to restore it I've used the MTK Android Tools again and the SmartPhone Flash Tool. You can easily find them by simple googling, there are great instructions on xda. Another helpful guide is "MDRT Factory ROM BackUp.pdf" here: http://d-h.st/d8a. The issues I had on the way are:

1. Software versions. I was searching for MT65xx and downloading, however looks like SP Flash tool earlier than v3.1248 doesn't support the MT6589. Started with (the latest?) v3.1316, but it kept giving me errors related to com port, so went to v3.1248 - however later the other worked as well.
2. Drivers. This is a weird story. In order to use the SP Flash Tool the phone has to be completely off and with battery inside. When you connect it to your computer (Win7), the led on USB hub goes on for a few seconds and then off again. During these short seconds new device is discovered (as com port), called MTK Preloader. You can google for drivers just as I did, and install them. I tried three download links. It is really not that easy to catch driver installation during such a short time. In many cases the SP Flash Tool was popping up a window complaining about the com port. As I've seen on one nice post, just kept trying - with different drivers, quick hand on device manager, and different SP Flash Tool versions as stated above. After about 40 minutes it succeeded, without me doing anything new - so can't give you more details here.

The idea was to use the good phone (second one) to create the scatter file with MTK Android Tools, then to back it up - you have to root it first, by the way - using the same software, then to get it ready for burning with SP Flash Tool (there is a button for that as well), and then burn it as planned. The thing worked.

I've uploaded my ROM here: GT-I9500_130708_ForFlashtoolFromReadBack_130911-231423.rar

This is an archive ready to be programmed with SP Flash Tool. It has the scatter file inside, and you can flash various images out of the entire list as per recommendations on some threads here on XDA. I flashed everything to restore the phone. This will require to put the IMEI in again.

P.S. I've contacted the supplier when the IMEI went blank (the phone writes "Invalid IMEI" on the lock screen and doesn't connect to the operator). After few days he got back to me with the following interesting instructions: Open the dial pad and type *#*#20080808#*#*. A menu appears. Inside chose GPRS and there you can put the new IMEI in. There are dozens of other options in this secret menu as well. Very interesting, guess this is the easy way to change IMEI on MT65xx, or MT6589 at least. Reboot is required, I think.

is ur phone has this version?

Hardware : MT6572 (MT6589 is Fake!)
Model : GT-I9500
Build number : ALPS.JB3.MP.V1.8
Build date UTC : 20131011-104628
Android v : 4.2.2
Baseband v: MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.WG.MP.V4, 2013/08/07 10:44
Kernel v : 3.4.5 (whl@server2) (gcc version 4.6.x-google 20120106 (prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Fri Oct 11 18:44:10 CST 2013

Sep 11, 2013
Be aware that changing the IMEI of a device is a federal crime in many countries

Wayne Tech Nexus

Guess you're right, but the actual phone's IMEI is after all printed on a label under the battery, so you just return it to the original stare rather than altering it (why should you, anyway?). In case of this phone, after every factory reset you end up without IMEI at all, so you don't have much choice :)

Sep 11, 2013

i try to reload your backup file, i flash only Logo and Android it is working (if i full flash download the screen become blank) but the display is upside down :(

I'm glad my post helped. We can clearly see that every manufacturer will do different stuff, and the ROMs are (slightly) different even for the same processor models, this is quite obvious actually. There's a nice trick that works on some models including mine to restore the "original" Samsung boot logo and animation - I think it was *#*#11111#*#* (five times 1 or may be four... try it) to dial. Give it a try.

Reactions: touji

junooni

Jul 2, 2007
Dubai
Hi all,

I just bought a clone S4 phone today. Here are the specs as per the About Device:

Model: GT-I9500
Android Version: 4.2.2
Basband version: MT6589
Kernel version: 3.4.5-526212
se.infra@SEI-44 #1
Wed Apr 24 20:59:59 KST 2013
Build number: JDQ39.I9500XXUAMDL

I have a couple of questions:
Is this the MTK6589 phone?
I don't have gapps installed so can't back up my google contacts and calendar. Installing calendar and gmail from play store doesn't resolve the contacts issue.

How can i resolve the gapps issue? will the standard 4.2.2 gapps work fine?
the recovery (power + vol(up)) menu is all chinese. any way to make it english?

would appreciate help.

Farhan44

Mar 1, 2014
Bricked the Phone by wrong CWM image.

Hi,

I have samsung Spreadtrum s4 korian clone GT-19500 (MT6572) with IMEI:359092050896231. I replaced wrong CWM image by mobile uncle tool in order to replace android system recovery 3e. Now mobile has stuck in boot loop. It starts up vibrate for few seconds then again restart. By pressing home + power key I can go to download mode but it also shows white screen.

Kindly help please how to recover the phone?

Regards,

Farhan

AVEZ

Mar 3, 2014
SIR

i have brought a fake samsung s4 and i have rebooted to factory setting and it show funny green android symbol and invalid emei nimber plz help me u r the only my hope.. plz help and give me ur any contact number to discuss the matter

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

#*#94#*# restored the boot logo and boot animation on my wife's S4 clone. It also has mediatek MTK6589. Try it.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

i tried ur code for geting samsung logo on my phone now plz tell me how to fix the invalid EMEI problem plz plz plz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

3. The IMEI disappeared!

Problem 2 - Soft brick

3. The IMEI disappeared!

Problem 2 - Soft brick

is ur phone has this version?

Hardware : MT6572 (MT6589 is Fake!)
    Model : GT-I9500
    Build number : ALPS.JB3.MP.V1.8
    Build date UTC : 20131011-104628
    Android v : 4.2.2
    Baseband v: MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.WG.MP.V4, 2013/08/07 10:44
    Kernel v : 3.4.5 (whl@server2) (gcc version 4.6.x-google 20120106 (prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Fri Oct 11 18:44:10 CST 2013
    #*#94#*# restored the boot logo and boot animation on my wife's S4 clone. It also has mediatek MTK6589. Try it.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    Somewhat similar, but this one is actually MT6589, so guess it won't help you much...

I'm glad my post helped. We can clearly see that every manufacturer will do different stuff, and the ROMs are (slightly) different even for the same processor models, this is quite obvious actually. There's a nice trick that works on some models including mine to restore the "original" Samsung boot logo and animation - I think it was *#*#11111#*#* (five times 1 or may be four... try it) to dial. Give it a try.