Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Nexus7 power button fix

OP AdamOutler

12th September 2013, 08:00 PM   |  #1  
Introduction:
When a button mechanically clicks, that is the signal to you that you've done your part and you should expect the button to do its part. While I've seen this on several other devices, the Nexus7 2013 apparently has a widespread problem which manifests itself in "having to press the power button a certain way". This is caused by the glue used to assemble the buttons having seeped under the contacts.
Here's the fix.

You will need:
A gituar pick
Rubbing alcohol
A Q-Tip
Superglue

Instructions:
1. Remove the back cover from the device with a gitaur pick.
2. Peel up the tape/laminate covering the power button.
click for larger picture
3. Clean off both contact surfaces using rubbing alcohol.
click for larger picture
4. Reassemble the switch by replacing the tape
5. Using just a dab of glue on the edge of the button assembly, secure the button tape/lamination back into place.
6. Reassemble the device.

Conclusion:

And that's all there is to it. You may decide to skip the superglue during reassembly, but its a good idea to use it generally as removing the tape weakens the hold of the manufacturer's adhesive.

Make no mistakes, this is a manufacturing defect and you should have the ability to return the device to get a new one if you experience this problem. But, after this procedure, the power button should work easily, every time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130912_121222.jpg
Views:	3917
Size:	509.1 KB
ID:	2253003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130912_120746.jpg
Views:	3485
Size:	507.8 KB
ID:	2253004  
Last edited by AdamOutler; 12th September 2013 at 09:07 PM.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th September 2013, 01:50 AM   |  #2  
silentheero's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 40
 
164 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
I was wondering if I was the only one!

So what else can we do while we are in there?
The Following User Says Thank You to silentheero For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th September 2013, 05:16 AM   |  #3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentheero

I was wondering if I was the only one!

So what else can we do while we are in there?

Xdatv is coming up on Wednesday and I will add that into here..
13th September 2013, 10:18 PM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
56 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
Glad to see the fix is easy. Not surprised to see the issue since Asus has just been making crap in terms of quality for a while now. Nexus 7 was better then I thought not having the crap asus quality but the new one has Asus all over it. Used Asus stuff for years and after the crap G75 laptop I had I will never get anything made by Asus. Sucks I wanted a new nexus 7 guess I'll wait till Samsung or lg or Motorola makes the third version.


Asus has just dropped off a cliff the past few years. They dident even go downhill they went from great to utter budget crap even the ROG line. Waiting to see the last great Asus products go down the same way. The Rog mobos. I was really hoping Google would push some weight saying they have to do some QC on the nexus 7.


Anyways great guide. But I'll add that on electronics you want 90%+ alch. Get the colorless with no scents added. Those leave traces behind. Should not matter on buttons like this but if anyone was wondering if they could use the red or green alch. I advise you to get the highest % with no colors or sents added. At my work for cleaning pcb's we use 98% but anything over 85% is great.
The Following User Says Thank You to bignazpwns For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th September 2013, 12:10 AM   |  #5  
mjoa68's Avatar
Junior Member
British Columbia, Canada
Thanks Meter: 6
 
17 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
This is great to find out and I really want to do this as mine suffers from this problem quite badly but I'm hoping for just a bit more detail (and that it might be helpful for others as well).

Guitar picks come in all kinds of gauges. What did you use? (Or can you at least tell us if it was a heavy, med, or light by what manufacturer?)

Are the plastic pegs (or whatever is) holding the back on very fragile? And chance of a pic of the inside of the back so we can see where they are placed?

Thanks.
14th September 2013, 06:58 PM   |  #6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoa68

This is great to find out and I really want to do this as mine suffers from this problem quite badly but I'm hoping for just a bit more detail (and that it might be helpful for others as well).

Guitar picks come in all kinds of gauges. What did you use? (Or can you at least tell us if it was a heavy, med, or light by what manufacturer?)

Are the plastic pegs (or whatever is) holding the back on very fragile? And chance of a pic of the inside of the back so we can see where they are placed?

Thanks.

Medium is probly best. I've got a teardown video coming up on Monday.
14th September 2013, 08:13 PM   |  #7  
mjoa68's Avatar
Junior Member
British Columbia, Canada
Thanks Meter: 6
 
17 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler

Medium is probly best. I've got a teardown video coming up on Monday.

Thanks. Good to know there is a video coming. I got impatient and just went ahead anyway.

One thing I learned is to not start by the buttons if you can (even though the case is a bit weaker and more flexible there) because you can't really work your way around the bottom due to the usb port, and if you attempt to work your way around the top corner that has the camera in it you may very well crack the case there like I did. Didn't notice until I had it back on but there is a hair line crack running from the corner to the hole that the camera looks through. It's only noticeable if you really look for it and everything is held together just fine but thought I'd mention it in case it helps anyone else avoid the same mistake. I'd say that corner will be prone to that due to the camera hole being so close to corner edge that you are trying to pry off.

Once I finished I tried again with my brother's N7 but this time started opening from the long edge opposite the buttons and worked my way around the corner to the top edge. This allowed me to essentially just pull the case off the other top corner by the camera (with the help of a bit of careful prodding with the guitar pic) and then, once I'd freed the case from the top and sides, pull it downwards away from the USB port. (Probably obvious to most but I didn't really realize until I'd done the first one that the USB port anchors the case in place so the bottom edge must come off last, and be put back on first.)

Another thing to be aware of is that there is a very small black rubber grommet sitting over the microphone port (rectangular with a round hole in the middle). It fell off when I opened the first case but I just made sure to seat it properly before putting the case back on. It didn't move when I did the second case since I was a little less rough that time around but something to be aware of and look out for. It's pretty teeny and would be easy to lose without even noticing.

Happy to report that this really did the trick in both cases. Even though I couldn't see any glue on the contacts before cleaning, both units now wake/sleep with every click, whereas before it only worked 70-80% of the time.

I'm sure it will be worth waiting for the video Adam is planning but just thought I'd share in case anyone is as impatient as me.
Last edited by mjoa68; 14th September 2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Corrected "speaker port" to say "microphone port" which is what I really meant to say.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjoa68 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th September 2013, 01:34 AM   |  #8  
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoa68

Thanks. Good to know there is a video coming. I got impatient and just went ahead anyway.

One thing I learned is to not start by the buttons if you can (even though the case is a bit weaker and more flexible there) because you can't really work your way around the bottom due to the usb port, and if you attempt to work your way around the top corner that has the camera in it you may very well crack the case there like I did. Didn't notice until I had it back on but there is a hair line crack running from the corner to the hole that the camera looks through. It's only noticeable if you really look for it and everything is held together just fine but thought I'd mention it in case it helps anyone else avoid the same mistake. I'd say that corner will be prone to that due to the camera hole being so close to corner edge that you are trying to pry off.

Once I finished I tried again with my brother's N7 but this time started opening from the long edge opposite the buttons and worked my way around the corner to the top edge. This allowed me to essentially just pull the case off the other top corner by the camera (with the help of a bit of careful prodding with the guitar pic) and then, once I'd freed the case from the top and sides, pull it downwards away from the USB port. (Probably obvious to most but I didn't really realize until I'd done the first one that the USB port anchors the case in place so the bottom edge must come off last, and be put back on first.)

Another thing to be aware of is that there is a very small black rubber grommet sitting over the microphone port (rectangular with a round hole in the middle). It fell off when I opened the first case but I just made sure to seat it properly before putting the case back on. It didn't move when I did the second case since I was a little less rough that time around but something to be aware of and look out for. It's pretty teeny and would be easy to lose without even noticing.

Happy to report that this really did the trick in both cases. Even though I couldn't see any glue on the contacts before cleaning, both units now wake/sleep with every click, whereas before it only worked 70-80% of the time.

I'm sure it will be worth waiting for the video Adam is planning but just thought I'd share in case anyone is as impatient as me.

Awesome instructions! I couldn't have stated it better. It really is a tight case though. I think starting near the buttons is fine but I worked around the top corner.
15th September 2013, 05:36 AM   |  #9  
mjoa68's Avatar
Junior Member
British Columbia, Canada
Thanks Meter: 6
 
17 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler

Awesome instructions! I couldn't have stated it better. It really is a tight case though. I think starting near the buttons is fine but I worked around the top corner.

Yes, it is definitely much easier to get into the case starting near the buttons as there's more flex to it there. I suppose a better way to say it might be that if you can get started on the opposite side you will avoid possibly cracking it near the camera like I did. But you'd probably be fine starting near the buttons as long as you're very careful (and not as clumsy or impatient as I was ) working around that first corner.
18th September 2013, 05:55 PM   |  #10  
aircooledbusses's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 173
 
454 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
I aint never had to open up anything like this and will have to to replace my screen. So glad I found this thread first and will be sure to check out the unboxing video before I do. and Yes isopropyl is a much better cleaner than other alcohol based solutions. Gonna do them buttons while Im in there.

I would not be nearly as daring to attempt any of this without the guidance from seasoned members. Thank you so much!!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes