Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,111 Members 49,179 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] Fixing “Insufficient storage available” errors on Android 4.2 and above

Tip us?

baha76_s
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 463

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up [HOWTO] Fixing “Insufficient storage available” errors on Android 4.2 and above

Hi,
this is a problem i encountered many times after (a while) i updated my phone to 4.2.2 (cannot install/update any app.apk file outside the playstore and there is this famous "Insufficient storage available" error which cant solved by wiping cache and dalvik cache).

And after some investigation i noticed that since android 4.2, google create a new lib folder for the apps in "/data called /data/app-lib/" and there is a symlink from "/data/data/APP-PATH/lib" to this folder which is the most culpable of this error.

So to avoid this kind of error:

1. go to "/data/app-lib/APP-PATH(that has this error)/lib" and delete.
2. install/update the apk app.
3. if not work go to "/data/app-lib/APP-PATH(that has this error)" and delete all the folder (but you must begin by their sub-folder then the folder itself, because you cant delete the folder of this APP-PATH directly without deleting their sub-folder first.

i hope, i helped some of you guys that you have this erroneous and overstressed error.
thanks
DEVICE: HTC One x+ (HTCdev unlocked, Rooted)
ROM: Android Revolution HD 8.0 by Mike1986
KERNEL: Stock kernel
FIRMWARE: 2.18.401.2 CL231174 release-keys
RADIO: 3.1204.171.33
BATTERY: 2100 mAh stock Battery
RECOVERY: CWM Recovery v0.3
MODS: All in one tweaks by lesscro v.2.9.0 Lyapota ModPack v6.6 + Ressource Manager v2.7.5
PREVIOUS DEVICES: HTC Sensation with Android Revolution HD™ 6.8.0 by mike1986

DON’T FORGET TO SAY THANKS, IF YOU LIKE MY POST!
The Following 95 Users Say Thank You to baha76_s For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kingofnice
Old
Thanks Meter 673

DONATE TO ME
Sometimes you can't install because of an odex of that app.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 4
- Hit My Thanks Button If You Liked Anything I Said -

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingofnice For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Elancore
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Worked for me, perfect, thanks a lot.

tommy.
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up It worked

It worked! Thaks a lot

quicky2g
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I've been banging my head against the wall for a few days trying to figure out why Clean Master wouldn't update. I kept getting the message you were talking about. I tried several other fixes without any luck. I have plenty of space on my internal and external storage. I tried uninstalling the app and couldn't re-install either. I used your fix and the app finally installed. Thanks a bunch!
The Following User Says Thank You to quicky2g For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

baha76_s
Old
(Last edited by baha76_s; 3rd December 2013 at 11:27 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 463

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicky2g View Post
I've been banging my head against the wall for a few days trying to figure out why Clean Master wouldn't update. I kept getting the message you were talking about. I tried several other fixes without any luck. I have plenty of space on my internal and external storage. I tried uninstalling the app and couldn't re-install either. I used your fix and the app finally installed. Thanks a bunch!
Me too untill i found this fu...ing app-lib syslink.
You are not alone bro not aloone.:thumbup:
Thanks

Sent from my HTC One X+ using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
DEVICE: HTC One x+ (HTCdev unlocked, Rooted)
ROM: Android Revolution HD 8.0 by Mike1986
KERNEL: Stock kernel
FIRMWARE: 2.18.401.2 CL231174 release-keys
RADIO: 3.1204.171.33
BATTERY: 2100 mAh stock Battery
RECOVERY: CWM Recovery v0.3
MODS: All in one tweaks by lesscro v.2.9.0 Lyapota ModPack v6.6 + Ressource Manager v2.7.5
PREVIOUS DEVICES: HTC Sensation with Android Revolution HD™ 6.8.0 by mike1986

DON’T FORGET TO SAY THANKS, IF YOU LIKE MY POST!

Aurazor
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Info 2 Another Insufficient Storage fix

Hi all,
I personally found that this method didn't fix it for me... apparently on my Galaxy Note GT-N7000 running SlimBean 4.3, there really WAS a complete lack of storage after only a week or two of running. This is an issue that affects non-custom ROMs also, otherwise I'd be posting on the developer forum, it doesnt seem to be an issue with the custom.

If you are suffering from a distinct lack of internal storage, try the following;
  1. Get a decent Root Explorer (FX root is now free and very good)
  2. Navigate to /data/log
  3. Check for oversize log files ~260k titled 'dumpstate'
These dumpstate log files were steadily consuming my storage, they were up to 750 items in a week and steadily increasing. They are written when the phone loses mobile coverage, so if you're in a blackspot they will start eating storage.

Some file explorers will allow you to 'Select All' and you can happily empty the entire folder without risk to your system that I know of. If yours doesn't, you can actually delete the entire log folder and re-make it with no ill effects. Solved my problem!

Take it easy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aurazor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pricefix23
Old
(Last edited by pricefix23; 22nd December 2013 at 09:30 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Am also having this problem. Amusingly, I can't install FX root or similar due to 'insufficient storage'...

[EDIT - finally fixed this by uninstalling Real Racing 3]

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
I had a Blue Angel, then I had a Kaiser and now I'm on a Leo. Always started with stock T-Mobile ROMS, but then made them better.

72Monkeys
Old
Thanks Meter 1
awesome. the path listed did not work for me, however I was able to search "app-lib" in ES File explorer!

thank you!

lionhealth
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Ten times thank was not enough. So helpful!

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

The only thing I can do when I can not install or update an important app was wipe everything, re-install my rom and install/update it until reading your post. ^^!

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

The only thing I can do when I can not install or update an important app was wipe everything, re-install my rom and install/update it until reading your post. ^^!