FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[HOWTO] Fixing “Insufficient storage available” errors on Android 4.2 and above

370 posts
Thanks Meter: 501

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi,
this is a problem i encountered many times after (a while) i updated my phone to 4.2.2 (cannot install/update any app.apk file outside the playstore and there is this famous "Insufficient storage available" error which cant solved by wiping cache and dalvik cache).

And after some investigation i noticed that since android 4.2, google create a new lib folder for the apps in "/data called /data/app-lib/" and there is a symlink from "/data/data/APP-PATH/lib" to this folder which is the most culpable of this error.

So to avoid this kind of error:

1. go to "/data/app-lib/APP-PATH(that has this error)/lib" and delete.
2. install/update the apk app.
3. if not work go to "/data/app-lib/APP-PATH(that has this error)" and delete all the folder (but you must begin by their sub-folder then the folder itself, because you cant delete the folder of this APP-PATH directly without deleting their sub-folder first.

i hope, i helped some of you guys that you have this erroneous and overstressed error.
thanks
The Following 115 Users Say Thank You to baha76_s For This Useful Post: [ View ]

14th September 2013, 08:04 PM |#2  
Flag Salinas
Thanks Meter: 825

Donate to Me
More
Sometimes you can't install because of an odex of that app.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingofnice For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th November 2013, 10:15 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Worked for me, perfect, thanks a lot.
21st November 2013, 08:41 PM |#4  
Sofia
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up It worked
It worked! Thaks a lot
2nd December 2013, 11:02 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I've been banging my head against the wall for a few days trying to figure out why Clean Master wouldn't update. I kept getting the message you were talking about. I tried several other fixes without any luck. I have plenty of space on my internal and external storage. I tried uninstalling the app and couldn't re-install either. I used your fix and the app finally installed. Thanks a bunch!
The Following User Says Thank You to quicky2g For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd December 2013, 11:24 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lausanne
Thanks Meter: 501

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicky2g

I've been banging my head against the wall for a few days trying to figure out why Clean Master wouldn't update. I kept getting the message you were talking about. I tried several other fixes without any luck. I have plenty of space on my internal and external storage. I tried uninstalling the app and couldn't re-install either. I used your fix and the app finally installed. Thanks a bunch!

Me too untill i found this fu...ing app-lib syslink.
You are not alone bro not aloone.:thumbup:
Thanks

Sent from my HTC One X+ using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Last edited by baha76_s; 3rd December 2013 at 11:27 AM.
5th December 2013, 11:45 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Info 2 Another Insufficient Storage fix
Hi all,
I personally found that this method didn't fix it for me... apparently on my Galaxy Note GT-N7000 running SlimBean 4.3, there really WAS a complete lack of storage after only a week or two of running. This is an issue that affects non-custom ROMs also, otherwise I'd be posting on the developer forum, it doesnt seem to be an issue with the custom.

If you are suffering from a distinct lack of internal storage, try the following;
  1. Get a decent Root Explorer (FX root is now free and very good)
  2. Navigate to /data/log
  3. Check for oversize log files ~260k titled 'dumpstate'
These dumpstate log files were steadily consuming my storage, they were up to 750 items in a week and steadily increasing. They are written when the phone loses mobile coverage, so if you're in a blackspot they will start eating storage.

Some file explorers will allow you to 'Select All' and you can happily empty the entire folder without risk to your system that I know of. If yours doesn't, you can actually delete the entire log folder and re-make it with no ill effects. Solved my problem!

Take it easy
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aurazor For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th December 2013, 09:09 AM |#8  
Flag Down South

More
Am also having this problem. Amusingly, I can't install FX root or similar due to 'insufficient storage'...

[EDIT - finally fixed this by uninstalling Real Racing 3]

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
Last edited by pricefix23; 22nd December 2013 at 09:30 AM.
8th December 2013, 10:14 PM |#9  
Flag Mt Pleasant, District of Columbia

More
awesome. the path listed did not work for me, however I was able to search "app-lib" in ES File explorer!

thank you!
11th December 2013, 06:34 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Ten times thank was not enough. So helpful!

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

The only thing I can do when I can not install or update an important app was wipe everything, re-install my rom and install/update it until reading your post. ^^!

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

The only thing I can do when I can not install or update an important app was wipe everything, re-install my rom and install/update it until reading your post. ^^!
16th December 2013, 02:52 AM |#11  
Flag Djakarta
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Thx for the fix suggestion,

but unfortunately this solution failed to fix my issue.

Maybe this one can help the other who also haven't manage to fix theirs,

try to download "Lucky Patcher" and choose "Troubleshooting", it will check whether there were ODEX file left after previous installation and else, and will delete the file when necessary.

It fix my "insufficient storage issue"
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to otonieru For This Useful Post: [ View ]

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)