I got a good few hours with the Galaxy Note 3 over the weekend, tried out a bunch of stuff and can answer a lot of the questions people have here in relation to what sorts of connectivity work and which don't (the USB 3.0 has people wondering whether their existing stuff will work).
A few findings of mine from the weekend:
- External drives work, but unfortunately NTFS formatted drives still don't work on stock ROMs. It had the power to spin up a 1TB Seagate drive! Unfortunately the drive was NTFS formatted so couldn't do more to see how well it was working, but definitely was powered with a solid indicator light. Promising.
- The Smart Dock works with the Note 3
- The S3/Note 2 MHL adapters definitely work
- The Samsung MHL 2.0 adapter works without needing a charging input plugged in and IS outputting at 60Hz
- USB audio working, I tried several DACs. The ones that worked were the HiFimeDIY, Tiny-M, HeadAmp Pico. Unfortunately Apex Glacier did not work (did not work on the S4 either).
- USB keyboards/mice working as they did with the older Samsungs
- PS3 controller working over USB OTG
- Ditto for the Xbox 360 for Microsoft controller (which required an app on older Samsungs in order to work)
- Logitech F310 controller works too
- Ditto the Logitech F710
- It also worked with a cheapie gamepad from Ebay (like $6), although button mappings seemed limited and did not have time to try it in emulators etc to see whether all could be mapped.
- BT keyboard and mouse working, as expected
- IR blaster via the inbuilt app works great with my LG TV
- MHL and USB OTG do not work together using the Samsung MHL 2.0 adapter
- Moga Pro gamepad working well
- Tried several ethernet adapters, none work.
Unfortunately the one I had did not have the USB 3.0 cable/charger, so could not benchmark read/write speeds or charging speeds using that connectivity.
This arrived for me this week, finally got around to testing it tonight and can confirm it works well, which is a great result for the $11USD it cost me from Ebay (including shipping). Considering it basically does everything the Samsung Smart Dock does I'm well pleased.
Yes, it is MHL 1.0 - I kind of expect them to revise these to MHL 2.0 before Samsung actually get around to releasing an updated dock.
USB OTG functions will not work without a 2A Samsung charger connected apparently, I was initially using a cheap charger that happened to be in the multi-board the TV was plugged into and was disappointed when nothing would work. Got of my lazy @$$ and grabbed my Samsung charger and all working. Plugged in my externally powered USB hub and then a Logitech K400 keyboard/mouse combo, card reader with a 16GB full-sized SD card in it and also a Logitech F710 controller. Happily watched some video from the card and then played some Dead Trigger 2 on the HDTV with the controller.