Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,355 Members 39,099 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SafeStrap on Active

Tip us?

Tsaukpaetra
Old
(Last edited by Tsaukpaetra; 22nd September 2013 at 06:12 AM.) Reason: Add Links
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Prompt SafeStrap on Active

Now available for Alpha testing! http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/jflteatt-active

This is Still Alpha! Be very careful! Have both a complete Nandroid backup as well as a full backup of the internal SD Card!
Read the threads below for more information.

Threads:
Normal ATT S4
Normal VZW S4
Active ATT S4

User @my-blue-snog-box Provided kernel modules:
MF1
MF2
MF3 is in the above thread links.

-- History --

SafeStrap is a method of booting custom ROMs on the Droid Razr line of phones (which have a locked bootloader) by hijacking one of the system processes during the boot process. SafeStrap Official Thread

Testing a few things out, the binaries seem to work upon initial inspection, but since the Graphics driver is wrong (and I'm going to assume the touchscreen input itself as well), I'm not willing to attempt it yet as I don't have any kind of way to recover from a soft brick.
See my ventures Here and Here

Now, I don't really know much how this works other than that which I have already described. I feel that once a custom Rom compatible with the International version is ready, we may just be able to get this ported over and working on our jailed phones...

Thoughts?
Current Device: Samsung Galaxy S 4 Active, Stock 4.2.2, I537UCUAMF3
Others:

To be continued...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tsaukpaetra For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

my-blue-snog-box
Old
Thanks Meter 286

DONATE TO ME
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2428226.
I am hoping that @Hashcode will be willing to help with making it work for the Active.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4
Contact me on Hangouts

Follow me on Twitter: @MyBlueSnogBox
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to my-blue-snog-box For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pipirik
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up thnx

thank you my brother

yankeesfan714
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by my-blue-snog-box View Post
I am hoping that @Hashcode will be willing to help with making it work for the Active.

I have PM hashcode and told him that if he needs a loaner device that I would send mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankeesfan714 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tsaukpaetra
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
How did I miss this?

Theoretically, if it works for the normal S4, we should be able to just drop the new display drivers and run. Of course, if not having a display during recovery is fine, it sounds like we might be able to test it now?
Others:

To be continued...

my-blue-snog-box
Old
Thanks Meter 286

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaukpaetra View Post
How did I miss this?

Theoretically, if it works for the normal S4, we should be able to just drop the new display drivers and run. Of course, if not having a display during recovery is fine, it sounds like we might be able to test it now?
Actually I can confirm that SS B08 boots into recovery just fine (he is going to make a modified version for us with proper build.prop config).

Contact me on Hangouts

The Following User Says Thank You to my-blue-snog-box For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tsaukpaetra
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Actually I can confirm that SS B08 boots into recovery just fine (he is going to make a modified version for us with proper build.prop config).

Sweet! (runs off to test)

Even if there are NO Roms yet, it's still nifty!
Others:

To be continued...

my-blue-snog-box
Old
Thanks Meter 286

DONATE TO ME
Yeah, but for whatever reason "/" isn't mounting. @thatbigmoose notified Hashcode.

Contact me on Hangouts

Tsaukpaetra
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Yeah, but for whatever reason "/" isn't mounting.
Interesting, for me it's /ss and /datamedia that aren't mounting, something about not having mmcblk0pt29-orig
On the chat now for a little while #safestrap on freenode.
Others:

To be continued...

The Following User Says Thank You to Tsaukpaetra For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

br0adband
Old
Thanks Meter 356
Ok, so Hashcode just posted a Safestrap for the GS4A I537 (the AT&T variant many of us have) and I'm very interested in doing some testing and experimentation but, for all the ROM swaps and stuff I've done over the past decade, this strapping thing has me somewhat baffled to some degrees.

I get that I can install it, that I can use "virtual" slots for ROMs using the internal storage (iirc, or ext SD, gotta learn this stuff) and be able to run 1, 2, or even 3 ROMs on the same device (not at the same time, obviously, but chosen during the boot process).

So here's the bazillion dollar question: does this Safestrap method mean that we as GS4A I537 owners now can potentially load up the ROMs being developed for the I9295 which is the International version of the GS4A ?

Just that one question and an answer would be greatly appreciated at this point, and then I'll go from there. Apparently there's only the one ROM being developed right now (the CM10.2 one) which is fine by me, would love to check that out on the GS4A and see how it works out, but since I'm pretty much scared stiff of damaging or bricking this GS4A of mine at this point I'm just going to be (a bit more) patient instead of jumping in with both feet, figuratively speaking.

Thanks for any input...
Currently using nothing at all...

The Following User Says Thank You to br0adband For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
bootloader, safestrap, tool