Very low available free RAM on GN 3 ... something to worry ?

OP Mackovich

19th September 2013, 11:28 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

79 posts
Hello there.

As someone coming from a very laggy-slow-multitasker Galaxy S3, I am really looking forward to the possibilities the 3Gb of RAM of the GN III can bring to me in my every day lfe.

I mean, I would love being able to switch to multiple apps fastly without having to reload them each time because the system had to kill them due to low memory (nice work, OOM ^^).
And this upgraded multi-windows feature with mutliple apps instances is really looking awesome.

So, here's the thing.
According to that thread on GN II average available free ram : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1923380 people can enjoy up to 800-1Gb of free RAM which is great but at that time I could not and would not afford to purchase this device, the SGS III being quite new.

And as of today, I read a thread confirming the Samsung Exynos 5420 in the SM-N900 version.
But what almost killed me, so to speak, is the available free RAM on this screenshot (see attachment) : 14% out of 2700Mb, which is less than 400Mb. THE HELL ?? What am I supposed to do whith that few ...?

So what do you guys think ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Available Free RAM on GN 3.jpg
Views:	2230
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	2268018  
19th September 2013, 12:43 PM   |  #2  
Flag RAWALPINDI
Thanks Meter: 541

2,942 posts
More
Free RAM is a waste ram, enough said. Only my note 2, the free ram stays at 200mb free on average, never ever faced any lag.
19th September 2013, 12:47 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

79 posts
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohebq

Free RAM is a waste ram, enough said. Only my note 2, the free ram stays at 200mb free on average, never ever faced any lag.

As I should have expected, I'm being answered with the "free RAM waste" speech.

Let me tell you that this is completely true. BUT the problem here is the free RAM you have at YOUR disposal on boot.

How much will Samsung leave you to play with ?

If the system and the home launcher utilize all the memory so that you have only 400Mb left (as in this screenshot) what can you do with that less ??????
I get about 250Mb left on boot with my SGS III and it is NOT ENOUGH to do some multitasking.

So I will not leave free RAM, I will use it to my heart's content to do MULTI-TASKING with the apps I want to USE and switch between AT WILL without having to RELAUNCHING them. That's all
Therefore if I have only 400Mb left, then this device won't satisfy me. I'll be better on a Nexus 4 I saw with CM and over 1.30Gb free RAM to play with ! ^^
19th September 2013, 12:55 PM   |  #4  
Flag RAWALPINDI
Thanks Meter: 541

2,942 posts
More
THis 400mb ram left is not on boot man, it could be after several apps opened so when you open a new app, the task manager adjust itself by clearing old apps from memory to find space for new.
19th September 2013, 01:02 PM   |  #5  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,280

8,818 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackovich

So what do you guys think ?

Here's my N2 which I've never had a multitasking issue with. In fact, the number of apps it can keep alive in the background has always impressed me.

With 116 installed apps and dozens of Samsung's apps doing whatever it is they do I have 200MB of "free" RAM.

When I kill all active processes I have 850MB free.

Mali in the N2 reserves 250MB of RAM for itself. Adreno 320 reserves 500MB of RAM for itself in devices using it. Adreno 330 in the N3 will reserve at least that much, maybe more. I'm guessing that between Adreno's needs and the RAM some of their new apps (two concurrent instances of the same app, enhanced multitasking, updated S Note with Action Memo) need Samsung wisely included 3GB of RAM on the N3 to prevent the very scenario you're afraid of.

You do realize that open apps are counted in the "used RAM" the picture you posted shows? So that device that was being tested could have had a dozen apps open in the background for all we know. And a dozen apps open with free RAM still available would be good, not bad as you're indicating.

P.S. - The part you're missing about the "free RAM" speech is that the idea of having free RAM is kind of stupid. If an app can perform better with more RAM and the OS sees RAM available it'll allocate additional RAM to that app. If more apps join the party the first apps RAM will be reduced to provide a proportionate amount of RAM to other apps running. In other words there's absolutely no reason to have free RAM on an Android device; at least when apps are running.
19th September 2013, 01:08 PM   |  #6  
Flag Jaipur
Thanks Meter: 154

598 posts
More
Actually it's well explained that why we should not worry about ram anymore. good read.

http://www.androidcentral.com/ram-wh...-shouldnt-care
The Following User Says Thank You to rl421403 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th September 2013, 03:37 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

79 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohebq

THis 400mb ram left is not on boot man, it could be after several apps opened so when you open a new app, the task manager adjust itself by clearing old apps from memory to find space for new.

True enough.
If this device was running many apps in background while performing this CPU-Z scan (on the screenshot), then, I would not be worried at all. So I really hope that was the case.

What matters the most to me, is how much ram is allocated to the user, so that when I install my apps I can launch them and switch between them to my leisure without having to relaunch them.

Therefore I do expect to see very low available RAM, but only because of my doing : launching many apps, the apps I use every day. That's my all point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

Here's my N2 which I've never had a multitasking issue with. In fact, the number of apps it can keep alive in the background has always impressed me.

With 116 installed apps and dozens of Samsung's apps doing whatever it is they do I have 200MB of "free" RAM.

When I kill all active processes I have 850MB free.

Mali in the N2 reserves 250MB of RAM for itself. Adreno 320 reserves 500MB of RAM for itself in devices using it. Adreno 330 in the N3 will reserve at least that much, maybe more. I'm guessing that between Adreno's needs and the RAM some of their new apps (two concurrent instances of the same app, enhanced multitasking, updated S Note with Action Memo) need Samsung wisely included 3GB of RAM on the N3 to prevent the very scenario you're afraid of.

You do realize that open apps are counted in the "used RAM" the picture you posted shows? So that device that was being tested could have had a dozen apps open in the background for all we know. And a dozen apps open with free RAM still available would be good, not bad as you're indicating.

P.S. - The part you're missing about the "free RAM" speech is that the idea of having free RAM is kind of stupid. If an app can perform better with more RAM and the OS sees RAM available it'll allocate additional RAM to that app. If more apps join the party the first apps RAM will be reduced to provide a proportionate amount of RAM to other apps running. In other words there's absolutely no reason to have free RAM on an Android device; at least when apps are running.

Very interesting. Now I know where the GPU takes the RAM it needs.
And the part where an app is being less allocated in RAM is strange. I never really saw an app releasing RAM without being killed.

But anyway, with my current 1Gb SGS III, I cannot to do a lot of multitasking and I would really love to have at least 1-to 1.5Gb of free RAM on my GN III that I recently pre-ordered.
19th September 2013, 03:47 PM   |  #8  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,280

8,818 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackovich

But anyway, with my current 1Gb SGS III, I cannot to do a lot of multitasking and I would really love to have at least 1-to 1.5Gb of free RAM on my GN III that I recently pre-ordered.

1GB on the Exynos SGS3 was probably too little. As Samsung adds sensors and features that are persistent they reserve RAM for themselves and don't release it when other apps need it. So with Mali taking up 250MB the Exynos SGS3 had 750MB of RAM that was usable not counting what Samsung's apps permanently reserved for themselves. The S4 SGS3 had 2GB of RAM because Adreno used more RAM than Mali. It ended up performing better at multitasking because there was only 130MB of that extra RAM dedicated to Adreno so there was lots more available for apps. HTC used 1MB of RAM in the S4 based One XL and it was a multitasking disaster because Adreno ate up 330MB of it and Sense itself is no featherweight.
19th September 2013, 03:48 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 279

458 posts
Free RAM in GN3 via @NZtechfreak

Adreno GPU taking about 600MB of RAM!
19th September 2013, 04:00 PM   |  #10  
OP Member

79 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

1GB on the Exynos SGS3 was probably too little. As Samsung adds sensors and features that are persistent they reserve RAM for themselves and don't release it when other apps need it. So with Mali taking up 250MB the Exynos SGS3 had 750MB of RAM that was usable not counting what Samsung's apps permanently reserved for themselves. The S4 SGS3 had 2GB of RAM because Adreno used more RAM than Mali. It ended up performing better at multitasking because there was only 130MB of that extra RAM dedicated to Adreno so there was lots more available for apps. HTC used 1MB of RAM in the S4 based One XL and it was a multitasking disaster because Adreno ate up 330MB of it and Sense itself is no featherweight.

That's very detailed and interesting! I had no knowledge of this while looking for ways to enhance my SGS III multitasking experience. Now everything seems much clearer. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARiiON

Free RAM in GN3 via @NZtechfreak

Adreno GPU taking about 600MB of RAM!

Ah ! Finally some good news! Is this free RAM upon boot and/or when clearing memory?
If so, then it would be expected that there won't be close to 2Gb of free RAM, since I expect that TW home launcher will use a lot of RAM with all new features such as AirCommand. Don't you think?

Anyway thanks for that screenshot!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Galaxy Note 3 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank