Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,877 Members 51,072 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Feature][ROM][4.3/4.4] Active Display

Tip us?

0xD34D
Old
(Last edited by 0xD34D; 8th December 2013 at 06:15 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,042

DONATE TO ME
Angry [Feature][ROM][4.3/4.4] Active Display

The ChameleonOS team is proud to present to you our latest addition to the growing list of features. Please give a warm welcome to the new active display feature. With active display your device can turn on when new notifications arrive and display that information to you on the screen. There is no need to turn your device on every time you hear that distinctive notification sound. Your notifications are right where you need them without all the clutter and free from other distractions. If your device has a proximity sensor, which most touch screen phones have, you are in luck. Active display will not turn on if it detects something close to this sensor. So if you have your phone stashed away in your pocket or bag, don't worry, it won't turn the display on and waste your battery. And as an added bonus we've included an option to turn on pocket mode. When this is enabled active display will turn on your screen and display your current notifications instantly, provided you have any pending notifications.

Features
  • Instantly turns the device screen on and displays notifications as they arrive
  • Up to 8 notifications displayed in a horizontal strip that can be viewed by touching the notification icon
  • Short notification description can be displayed around the outside of the center ring
  • Touch the center ring notification to view the full notification
  • Unlock the device, open the app for the current notification or dismiss the current notification
  • Set a re-display time to have active display remind you of your pending notifications
  • Adjustable brightness level for when active display turns the screen on
  • Pocket mode which allows active display to turn on once you remove the device from your pocket or bag
Video Demonstration

* Active display will be merged into our github repos shortly and will be included in the upcoming nightly builds thereafter.

The Following 73 Users Say Thank You to 0xD34D For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

0xD34D
Old
(Last edited by 0xD34D; 31st December 2013 at 04:03 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,042

DONATE TO ME
Now for the important stuff that developers may be interested in. Since ChameleonOS is an open source project this feature is available for other developers to pick and incorporate into other ROMs. If you want to incorporate this you'll need to grab a few commits from our frameworks base and Settings projects.

From android_frameworks_base you'll want to pick the following commits [4.3]:From android_frameworks_base you'll want to pick the following commits [4.4]:
And from Settings you'll want to pick these commits:
*Note: ChameleonOS started out by using CyanogenMod as a base so some dependencies may exist which would need to be resolved when incorporating this into other ROMs. Feel free to contact me if you encounter any problems and you can't figure out the resolution.

**UPDATE**
For those that are using a 4.3 or 4.4 based ROM that does not have Active Display integrated, I've managed to develop a stand alone application that adds the functionality of Active Display. There is an ad supported version as well as a paid version for those that like to support independent developers.
Active Display (ad supported)
Active Display w/o ads
The Following 62 Users Say Thank You to 0xD34D For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chaoslimits
Old
Thanks Meter 145
Is there a pulse setting? Or is that the re-display option?

0xD34D
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,042

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawdapaah View Post
Is there a pulse setting? Or is that the re-display option?
I guess you could consider the re-display option as being similar to pulse for the LED. Active display will turn on and show pending notifications at the interval specified by the user.

chaoslimits
Old
Thanks Meter 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xD34D View Post
I guess you could consider the re-display option as being similar to pulse for the LED. Active display will turn on and show pending notifications at the interval specified by the user.
I guess without the Moto X dedicated CPU a pulse option would kill the battery? If you miss the notification, you can't really tell that you've gotten one.

0xD34D
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,042

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawdapaah View Post
I guess without the Moto X dedicated CPU a pulse option would kill the battery? If you miss the notification, you can't really tell that you've gotten one.
The minimum setting is 1 minute so you could set it to that. Because it turns the display on momentarily to display the notifications, there will be some power consumption because of this. There are several different values the user can set this to and in a future release I'll have it so the user can set their own time instead of being confined to the discrete values that are available in the current implementation.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 0xD34D For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

packhex
Old
(Last edited by packhex; 7th December 2013 at 08:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3

vampire36
Old
Thanks Meter 1,580
Just 1 small question...how reliable is pocket mode ?
Cos I prefer that as the most amazing usp of active display
[Current Phone]: Nexus 4
[Current Setup]: Purity Rom Linaro + Mirage Kernel + DT2W...Simply Perfect !
[Radio]: 2.0.1701.03
[Recovery]: TWRP v2.7.1.0
[Phone History]: Sagem (Hutch Phone) | Nokia N70m | Nokia 5230 | HTC Desire S

Prashanthme
Old
Thanks Meter 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire36 View Post
Just 1 small question...how reliable is pocket mode ?
Cos I prefer that as the most amazing usp of active display
May be it is not only using call sensors but as well acclerometer.. this way it might not turn ON.. But wondering about battery drain..

Emotion Injected; LOVE Infected!!
XDA ಅಲ್ಲಿ ಕನ್ನಡದ ಕಂಪು ಹರಡುತ್ತಾ

Phones:

Samsung Galaxy S2

ROMAHOLIC

Previous Gadgets: Nokia 5200 --> Nokia 5230 --> Samsung Galaxy ACE.

Tablets:

Google Nexus 7(2013)(~ Winner of Nestle KitKat Contest)

dmarco
Old
Thanks Meter 65

DONATE TO ME
So, do we just flash this the usual way or are there special instructions on how to properly do this??
Thanks in advance, this Rom looks AWESOME!!! Can't wait to flash it on my SGS3

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Tags
active display, chameleonos, chaos, moto x, rom