Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,489 Members 45,844 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to Root LG G2 on a Mac

Tip us?

sirmims
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_dmand View Post
Haven't used adb before, but I'm no noob to rooting /flashing. I got adb installed and working on my computer now (running Ubuntu). After I launch adb in the terminal, then I just type these commands? (copy paste?)
Im wondering also I entered all the commands and pushed superuser apk but then what do I do next?

ATHM50
Old
(Last edited by ATHM50; 5th December 2013 at 12:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitano21 View Post
I'm getting two error messages. The first is a line 2 error on the g2 security. The second is 'operation not permitted' for a mount command. Anyone have any solutions?
Also receiving an error on:
Code:
./adb shell "mount -o remound,rw /system
I'll update my post if I work my way around it.

isavji
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHM50 View Post
Also receiving an error on:
Code:
./adb shell "mount -o remound,rw /system
I'll update my post if I work my way around it.
Any updates? I'm getting an error at adb shell "mount -o remound,rw /system saying Operation Not Permitted

lvtran3
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by isavji View Post
Any updates? I'm getting an error at adb shell "mount -o remound,rw /system saying Operation Not Permitted
Maybe remound --> remount ?
The Following User Says Thank You to lvtran3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mjdupuis
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Did you unplug, toggle USB debugging off and then on, and then plug it back in?
The Following User Says Thank You to mjdupuis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

D8nkE
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I just rooted mine with my Mac. I ran the script, but it errored, but was able to root following the manual method. Link to my post in Rooting thread

yoitsjustin
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdupuis View Post
WARNING! This is just what worked for me, and it's just the adb commands from thecubed's program. All credit goes to him, I didn't do any of this, just took the info from it.

Here's the thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2448887

Download it, unzip it, and then take a moment to go back and thank him if you didn't do that.

You are not actually using his program, just the files and commands. Everything is done using Terminal and the Finder. You must have ADB working, look elsewhere for instructions on setting that up.

The files used here are the Verizon versions of the files, which I used for my phone. They are also specific to the OTA'd Verizon software, "11A" so there are different files if you haven't installed the OTA. These commands are correct, but the files being pushed aren't all the same between different carrier models and do not work with any other carrier. All the right stuff for other carriers is contained in thecubed's program.

The bold sections are files you need to send over adb, you can manually enter the file pathway or drag the files from finder into terminal after the adb commands (and before you type the destinations).

One more warning; if this is your first time using adb or terminal, I don't recommend this as your first try. It's super easy to screw something up in terminal.

Your phone must have developer options enabled and usb debugging on. plug in your phone via usb and select "Internet" and then "Ethernet."

adb push ytiruces_1a_vzw /sdcard/ytiruces_1a

Unplug usb, disable USB debugging and then re-enable it. Plug USB back in.

adb shell "mount -o remount,rw /system"

adb push su /system/xbin/su

adb shell "chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su;chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su;sync;mount -o remount,ro /system"

adb install superuser.apk

exit
I know I'm a little late, but thanks so much for your help! I was trying to root my Sprint G2 on the recent ZVA rom to the ZVC but I needed root since my recovery was acting up.
Current Device:
T-Mobile Nexus 5
Retired Devices:
Sprint LG G2
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4
Sprint iPhone 4
Sprint HTC Evo Shift