Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,492 Members 39,774 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Flashcast ROM]Chromecast 13300 OTA Rooted/ADB Enabled

Tip us?

ddggttff3
Old
(Last edited by ddggttff3; 7th December 2013 at 04:05 AM.) Reason: V1.1 Release
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 890
Default [Flashcast ROM]Chromecast 13300 OTA Rooted/ADB Enabled

Here we have a Flashcast flashable zip with the 13300 system and kernel, which has telnet&ADB enabled, and OTA updates disabled.

Downloads:
[PwnedCast, Replacement for this ROM]: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2515799

Old Downloads:
[V1.1 - Sep 26th]: https://mega.co.nz/#!BBllzagT!K5-Oen...EWt3Eq54GJMqE0.
[V1.0 - Sep 21st]: https://mega.co.nz/#!hZ1ClT6T!ZNBzuz...ZHlNit-c7xlCV4

Install Instructions:
  1. Setup and Install Flashcast on a Jump Drive: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2452838
  2. Download, and put eureka_image.zip on your Flashcast jump drive. do NOT rename the file!
  3. Plug the Flashcast jump drive into the chromecast, hold the button, and plug in power to boot the device.
  4. Flashing will take 5~ minutes, be patient! As long as the chromecast LED is white, it is working.
  5. Once done, the device will reboot
  6. Enjoy a update free, rooted system!

Thanks To:
GTVHacker
tchebb
tvall
ften
Anyone Else I Missed!

Changelog:
1.1 - Added Custom Boot Animation
1.0 - Initial Release

Extras:
Custom Boot Animation: https://mega.co.nz/#!lY8GmQiZ!ORKufk...ZEMmOPDiYlxNTE
(This is NOT a full ROM, so this must be flashed over the firmware. If you are on version 1.1, this will not change anything. Use this to upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1 without doing a factory reset)

Expect some cool new features to show up in the next release, which will be when the new OTA hits. I'm talking SSH, DHCP DNS, and some other secret goodies.
Devices:
OnePlus One
Nexus 7 2013
Samsung Note 10.1
Too Many Chromecasts

Retired:
Nexus 5, Nexus Q, GS3, Droid Bionic, N7 2012, Droid X, HTC Vogue
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to ddggttff3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tvall
Old
Thanks Meter 797
Great work! Now I can stop screwing with a device I don't own.
my work
optimus v:
iho magpie

dream/sapphire:
DREAMTeam Froyo, United ICS, and tvall's cm7

misc:
the first chromecast system image without bootloader updates or auto updating - obsolete

If you'd like to donate to me, i accept bitcoins and electronics
BTC - 1titsVyrUw8pGEDF6Jqdh56cZjBRYAQjQ
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tvall For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

doctordroid
Old
(Last edited by doctordroid; 21st September 2013 at 07:44 PM.) Reason: added information
Thanks Meter 16
I tried the above steps... I had a white light then it rebooted and gave me a red light. I proceeded anyways and threw the eureka file on the drive and then held that little button down FOREVER! it was white the whole time... it then tried rebooting but no image came up. I released the button and waited... just a white light and a black screen. I yanked everything and tried just firing it up like normal... it never shows starting chromecast it just is a black screen....

(So I had your instruction page up on my TV screen but after the reboot nothing came up it was just black with a white light) and then i tried a normal boot... nothing happens. i get no starting chromecast...

any thoughts?

tchebb
Old
Thanks Meter 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordroid View Post
I tried the above steps... I had a white light then it rebooted and gave me a red light. I proceeded anyways and threw the eureka file on the drive and then held that little button down FOREVER! it was white the whole time... it then tried rebooting but no image came up. I released the button and waited... just a white light and a black screen. I yanked everything and tried just firing it up like normal... it never shows starting chromecast it just is a black screen....

(So I had your instruction page up on my TV screen but after the reboot nothing came up it was just black with a white light) and then i tried a normal boot... nothing happens. i get no starting chromecast...

any thoughts?
You don't need to hold the button down the entire time (although it shouldn't hurt). You should only need to hold it for about 5 seconds after you connect the power for the Chromecast to boot off USB. It sounds like you're doing everything correctly, but not waiting long enough for the image to flash. If you see both the instructions screen and a white light, FlashCast is in the middle of flashing. Unless the light turns red, it will automatically reboot when it's done.

doctordroid
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchebb View Post
You don't need to hold the button down the entire time (although it shouldn't hurt). You should only need to hold it for about 5 seconds after you connect the power for the Chromecast to boot off USB. It sounds like you're doing everything correctly, but not waiting long enough for the image to flash. If you see both the instructions screen and a white light, FlashCast is in the middle of flashing. Unless the light turns red, it will automatically reboot when it's done.
I did a second time and it now showed starting chromecast but never booted up. So this time I am doing it over and I let go the light is white... When will I know it is all done flashing??? Won't the light always stay white? I am waiting for a reboot shoudl I just let it do its thing and it will automatically reboot and start up normally if all went well or do I need to disconnect the OTG cable?

Gwanatu
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Just got a Chromecast so pardon the super noob question. If the Chromecast updates itself automatically to the newest update, will I still be able to flash this? Thanks!

tchebb
Old
Thanks Meter 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordroid View Post
I did a second time and it now showed starting chromecast but never booted up. So this time I am doing it over and I let go the light is white... When will I know it is all done flashing??? Won't the light always stay white? I am waiting for a reboot shoudl I just let it do its thing and it will automatically reboot and start up normally if all went well or do I need to disconnect the OTG cable?
Yes, just wait for it to reboot on its own. It will boot into the normal image unless you hold the button, so it doesn't matter whether or not you have the OTG cable connected.

doctordroid
Old
Thanks Meter 16
its working!!!! its working!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwanatu View Post
Just got a Chromecast so pardon the super noob question. If the Chromecast updates itself automatically to the newest update, will I still be able to flash this? Thanks!
no. it will not. the updates patch the hack

SOHKis
Old
Thanks Meter 143
flashed over fine here, setting it up now. thanks!

Quote:
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure if you've received an update you won't be able to flash (unless a new exploit has been found).

ddggttff3
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 890
Quote:
Any chromecast that has been updated with any official OTA will be unable to use this. All of our current root methods require the insecure bootloader, which came stock with the chromecast. any OTA would have updated, and secured the bootloader.
Devices:
OnePlus One
Nexus 7 2013
Samsung Note 10.1
Too Many Chromecasts

Retired:
Nexus 5, Nexus Q, GS3, Droid Bionic, N7 2012, Droid X, HTC Vogue

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddggttff3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe