Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,579 Members 43,655 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][3.0+][1.04] PicPac Camera - Pack your live moments into one Picture

Tip us?

genliang.guan
Old
(Last edited by genliang.guan; 20th October 2013 at 08:42 AM.) Reason: update to V1.04
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Camera [APP][3.0+][1.04] PicPac Camera - Pack your live moments into one Picture

+++ 2013.10.20: I created a Medium post about my experience on developing this app. Click here if you are interested.

****************** BUG FIX HISTORY *****************
I have to notify this to all who are interested in this app.

+++ 2013.09.23: The reason of crashes on many devices has been fixed, but there still might be some out_of_memory errors.
I have updated it to V1.01 (If you still see V1.0 at play store, then you may just install it and wait for the updates in a few hours

+++ 2013.09.24: Reduce 66% of memory usage, added camera shutter sound. V1.02.
+++ 2013.09.24. Found the bug report from Developer concole! Fix more bugs, V1.03.

Please install it and test it on your device. If it still crashes, please use the feedback button in the Settings to notify me. I will be grateful for you help.
****** If the system ask you to send the crash report, please do so to help me fix bugs. THANK YOU ******
VERY SORRY for the inconvenience, and forgive me as a first-time developer.
*************** END WARNING **************

My first post at XDA, for my new simple camera app called PicPac Camera.
This app packs your live shots into one picture for easy sharing.
Share more with multiple shots. More interesting, more content.
Share less with only one picture. Less upload, less time to view.

See picpac.me for more details.

Sorry for no links and no big images. New user cannot use those.

---------------------------------- How I develop PicPac Camera -------------------------------------------------

Since this forum is for developers, I will first share how I built this app so far.

PhD student - I am a last-year PhD student, and this is probably my last work before finding a job.
40 hours - This app takes a few weekends to finish, about 40 hours.
Free and ad included - It is a utility app and it is free, so I put an ad at the share screen which may give me a few cents a week
Two modes - It has two modes, TRIO and PLUS. Trio takes 3 shots, and Plus takes 1 to 9 shots.
App name - PicPac Camera ~ pac your pics
Domain name - picpac.me Cost me $9.99 a year.
Website - picpac.me . Hosted on strikingly.com for FREE! And just let Godaddy forward picpac.me to strinkingly (for now). Setting up the website only takes me 1 - 2 hours, including preparing the images for the website. Super easy for fast release.

----------------------------------- Why I develop PicPac Camera ------------------------------------------------

TRIO was inspired by Triptychs of Strangers by Adde Adesokan at Flickr. These photos are really cool.
See the last attached image
Then I extended it to support up-to-9 shots (PLUS mode) in case people want to share more.

----------------------------------- PicPac Camera Screenshots ------------------------------------------------

See the attached images.

----------------------------------- Please help me to test it and share it ------------------------------------------------

See below for Google Play Store link (if you install the apk before, please kindly unstall it first)
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.picpac

The apk is attached as well for people who live in regions without Play Store access.

I will appreciate any comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2013-09-21-225402.jpg
Views:	2344
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	2274281   Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2013-09-21-225510.jpg
Views:	2315
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	2274283   Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2013-09-21-225558.jpg
Views:	2267
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	2274294   Click image for larger version

Name:	inspired.jpg
Views:	2484
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	2274295  
Attached Files
File Type: apk Picpac_release.V1.03.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.06 MB, 775 views)
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to genliang.guan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

armutyus
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Looks great, i'll try it.

Sony Xperia Z & Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to armutyus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AMoosa
Old
Thanks Meter 189
Trying it out now. Looks great. Why isn't it on the play store?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 8.0
United Kingdom
Three UK

Previously owned - HTC One M8, Galaxy S4, Sony Xperia Z, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3 Pebble Blue and White, Asus Transformer Prime, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Tab 10.1, HTC Desire S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S, Motorola XPRT, Motorola Xoom, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire, Motorola Milestone, Nexus One, HTC Hero, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Athena, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Universal (that's all I can think of for now...)
The Following User Says Thank You to AMoosa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

armutyus
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Woaw that's cool bro. i like it. And i agree Amoosa

Sony Xperia Z & Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to armutyus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

genliang.guan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoosa View Post
Why isn't it on the play store?
It is actually on the play store (have modified the original post). But I am a new user so the system does not allow me to put links outside XDA

See below for Google Play Store link:

If you install the apk, please kindly uninstall it and use the store. You know why

The apk is for people who live in regions without Play Store access. Haha. It is also a requirement for app review at XDA.

genliang.guan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by armutyus View Post
Woaw that's cool bro. i like it. And i agree Amoosa
Sorry, I should have done multi-quote. Reply content is the same as the previous one.

See below for Google Play Store link:

If you install the apk, please kindly uninstall it and use the store. You know why

The apk is for people who live in regions without Play Store access. Haha. It is also a requirement for app review at XDA.

tailsthecat3
Old
Thanks Meter 176
Nobody likes ads. Thanks for the effort.
Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to tailsthecat3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JoZ3
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Interesting app, unfortunately does not work on my pantech flex with ics

Sent from my PantechP8010 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to JoZ3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

genliang.guan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoZ3 View Post
Interesting app, unfortunately does not work on my pantech flex with ics

Sent from my PantechP8010 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sorry to hear that, and thanks for the heads up.
I have already got NOT-WORKING feedback from users of Droid DNA, PantechP8010, and Note 2.
This is bad but it is good for a first-time developer like me to realize how important it is to test on more devices...

I tested it on Nexus 4, and a very old HTC Desire.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on this? Any online services you can recommend?

Thank you all!

Sandy||Striker
Old
Thanks Meter 25

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up TESTING..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by genliang.guan View Post
Sorry to hear that, and thanks for the heads up.
I have already got NOT-WORKING feedback from users of Droid DNA, PantechP8010, and Note 2.
This is bad but it is good for a first-time developer like me to realize how important it is to test on more devices...

I tested it on Nexus 4, and a very old HTC Desire.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on this? Any online services you can recommend?

Thank you all!
you can test your app on around 40 android devices on this website.

https://appthwack.com/‎

check it.

nice app btw.