Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,230 Members 48,204 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SIM restrictions on unlocked European Note3

Tip us?

Pulverizer
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by keennay View Post
Can anyone else with an Asian region Note 3 confirm this?
Above my post include Asian note3 information. (#156)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=156

Hongkong / Veitnam / Korea note 3 are restrict sticker not pasted.(may fully unlocked)
=======================================
=====> My Ebay feedback : =====> Here
=======================================

DjeMBeY
Old
(Last edited by DjeMBeY; 26th September 2013 at 03:03 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,386

DONATE TO ME
Hmmm...... Interesting...
I was checking all CSC codes from CSC_OXX_N9005OXXBMH1 and some Countries have Network Lock and some NOT??!!
There's 16 codes/countries in total.. and here's the 6 codes/Countries without any restrictions:
CYO - Greece (MTN, CYTAVODA)
ETL - Czech Republic (T-Mobile CZ, O2 - CZ, Vodafone CZ)
MEO - Portugal (P TMN)
ORX - Slovakia (Orange, T-Mobile SK, O2 - SK)
TLA - Sweden (Telia, TELIA DK, Call me, FIN SONERA, NetCom)
TMN - Portugal (P TMN)

Anybody with CSC codes from above can test if they can use NON-EU SIM-Cards..

Here is the list of all locked Networks from customer.xml
Code:

<Security>
        <NbNetworkLock>38</NbNetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>460BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>250BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>255BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>502BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>510BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>401BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>525BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>452BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>505BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>515BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>470BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>404BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>405BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>603BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>602BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>432BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>604BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>416BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>424BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>425BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>724BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>370BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>338BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>374BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>706BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>734BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>714BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>712BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>740BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>704BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>708BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>710BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>744BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>748BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>736BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>621BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>620BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>639BB</NetworkLock>
<><><><><><><><><><> NOTE: I do NOT respond to any technical Support through PM's. <><><><><><><><><><>
The Following User Says Thank You to DjeMBeY For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lucfeenstra
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Just found out that Samsung Switzerland has told their customers that once you use a European sim card, that you can use non EU simcards afterwards (for Swiss devices at least). This is something that was already mentioned in this thread earlier.. could it be right?

Check out the link for yourself (use google translate if you don't speak german):
https://www.facebook.com/SamsungSwit...00488789993594
The Following User Says Thank You to lucfeenstra For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fonejacker
Old
(Last edited by fonejacker; 26th September 2013 at 03:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Manufacturers usually segment markets in order to increase total profitability. If they can segment markets then they can have different selling prices in different markets and maximize the selling price to customers in each market. This region lock may prevent large numbers of phones moving from one region to another. For example they may sell phones at higher price to distributors in the UK than in the US, because the UK market is less competitive, and distributors in UK pass on higher price to willing UK customers.

If it is Samsung's doing and not the carrier's then market segmentation could be a reason in addition to warranty charges. Although if its the carrier's general request and not Samsung, then it is likely as mentioned in earlier posts the carrier's wanting to protect their exhortative roaming charges to foreign countries. Example a USA to USA call on the UK Three PAYG sim costs 1.40 pounds per minute, which if made on a local USA sim would cost only peanuts, and a skype call only 0.014 pounds per minute (excl. tax), one hundred times less expensive!

If it is Samsung's project it will backfire and anyone who takes long holidays or business trips abroad will have good reason convert to another brand of phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
The carriers, not Samsung, benefit the most from this. Not being able to use local SIMs when traveling outside a customer's home region will force people to use their subscribed carriers roaming agreements. International roaming is quite profitible for the carriers. Samsung's voided the warranty on gray market phones for years so they actually save money on support when people buy phones outside their regions. Forcing people to buy phones from only within their regions ups Samsung's warranty costs. They may pick up some revenue from currency exchange by eliminating people buying phones in other countries to save money but that doesn't seem like the primary motive. So I'm kind of confused outside carrier's pushing Samsung in this direction why they introduced this new "feature."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fonejacker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DaOldMan
Old
Thanks Meter 260
There is another reason. I am sure that Samsung earns on Exynos 5 Note 3 device more then on the Snapdragon 800 ones. If they make you buy the Exynos product they are sure they will make higher profit. For instance, here in Israel many people buy their device abroad. The cost of Note3 here is supposed to get as high as 1250$. Buying one abroad is cheaper and also you can get the Snapdragon 800 one instead of the Exynos 5 that is going to be sold here. People want to get 4K recording, Lte and cheaper price.
Now with this locks problem, people may be forced to buy local Note 3 with Exynos for 1250$. I am sure this is not a problem in Israel alone. This may be a good enough reason for Samsung to "eu-unlock" their devices.

My 5 cents,

Thomas
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaOldMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KevinsH
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Today I unlock my Note 3 N9005 ( bought in London ) with this service.
Now phone work with Russian SIM without any problem.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...1&d=1380204637
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	putman.JPG
Views:	1066
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	2284420  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KevinsH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejacker View Post
Manufacturers usually segment markets in order to increase total profitability. If they can segment markets then they can have different selling prices in different markets and maximize the selling price to customers in each market. This region lock may prevent large numbers of phones moving from one region to another. For example they may sell phones at higher price to distributors in the UK than in the US, because the UK market is less competitive, and distributors in UK pass on higher price to willing UK customers.
I totally get all that. But for example "all the Americas" and "all the EU" still allows for a huge disparity in pricing across a wide swath of countries. And so far Asia’s phones don’t seem to be affected which will have the opposite effect of what you’re describing and drive people to purchase from those regions to get a “real” unlocked device. Samsung's rigid stance on not supporting gray market phones for warranty repair (an EU phone can only be repaired in the EU) already introduced penalties for buying outside a specific selling region. So what's changed for them to introduce region-based SIM locking? In the B2B market this is going to piss off a lot of their largest multinational corporate accounts just at the time their pushing Knox to try and attract them. I have no idea what's really behind this move but I don't think it's as simple as to further their cause of getting consumers (B2C) to only buy phones within their "home" region.

Quote:
Although if its the carrier's general request and not Samsung, then it is likely as mentioned in earlier posts the carrier's wanting to protect their exhortative roaming charges to foreign countries. Example a USA to USA call on the UK Three PAYG sim costs 1.40 pounds per minute, which if made on a local USA sim would cost only peanuts, and a skype call only 0.014 pounds per minute (excl. tax), one hundred times less expensive!
I think this is a more logical reason. But I'm just guessing and my guesses aren't any more educated than anyone's here.

Quote:
If it is Samsung's project it will backfire and anyone who takes long holidays or business trips abroad will have good reason convert to another brand of phone.
Agreed. There's a big difference between locking bootloaders which 95% of the world doesn't care about and screwing around with what and how people choose to use a high-end mobile device where multiple competitive products exist. On the surface, this is a pretty ballsy and risky move on Samsung's part. And I guarantee you countries in the EU and the U.S. will want a complete explanation of why Samsung's chosen this direction. And also why there was no public disclosure other than introducing a sticker on the product's box to communicate a pretty material policy change. Samsung’s market position makes the latter especially problematic for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lucfeenstra
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinsH View Post

Interesting, was your phone showing the lock screen before?

hpacura
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinsH View Post

Congrats bro. Is your phone sim-free? Is your phone also restricted like other users? Thanks

KevinsH
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Before unlock phone work with T-mobile SIM and didn't with Russian SIM , asking for unlock PIN.
After unlock working with both.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KevinsH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]