[EOL] [KERNEL][n80xx][Samsung JB] Boeffla-Kernel 3.2 (22-02-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

andip71

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
Potsdam
OnePlus 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Stable update

Hi all,

after Samsung really released a new source code update a few weeks ago, I updated the latest stable kernel once more for n8000 and n801x.

So here we go, change log same for both kernels:

Version 3.2 stable - Final

• Merged latest Samsung KK kernel sources GT-N8000_KK_Opensource (XXUDOF1)
  • Internal kernel busybox updated to latest version 1.24.1 (self-compiled from sources, www.busybox.net)
  • Fixed improper file permissions in ramdisk (improve stability)
  • Changed some compiler switches (for stability)
  • Internal kernel superuser updated to su 2.52
Enjoy
Andi

P1nGu1n_

Feb 13, 2013
Hi all,

after Samsung really released a new source code update a few weeks ago, I updated the latest stable kernel once more for n8000 and n801x.

• Internal kernel busybox updated to latest version 1.24.1 (self-compiled from sources, www.busybox.net)
Enjoy
Andi

You're the best Andi for still supporting this device!

Use your kernels on both my N8010 (even though I haven't booted it up in 6 months) and my OnePlus One. Both have always been rock stable and well-maintained. Donated by buying pro a while ago.

Thanks for al the effort you put into your kernels! The whole community appreciates it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: andip71

butla

Nov 22, 2008
Champion thanks for the update. Thanks for continuing to look after us even though you had retired it.

Sent from one of my Notes.

ml11ML

Mar 1, 2015
Hello guys,
i know this will probably be off topic for this thread, but i want to ask about how the adjustable charging current works in this kernel and the possibility of this feature to be ported over to CM13. The main problem is that the charging is extremely slow on that rom (over 8 hours) and only ever seems to draw 200mA with any charger i have tried(original samsung one, other 1A and 1.5A chargers and even a charger i made that can deliver over 4A while keeping stable 5V) and nothing makes a difference, so it must be some sort of a software limit somewhere. If anyone could provide any help or information on how this feature works(what files does it change and such stuff) that would be very nice to know.

andip71

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
Potsdam
OnePlus 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hello guys,
i know this will probably be off topic for this thread, but i want to ask about how the adjustable charging current works in this kernel and the possibility of this feature to be ported over to CM13. The main problem is that the charging is extremely slow on that rom (over 8 hours) and only ever seems to draw 200mA with any charger i have tried(original samsung one, other 1A and 1.5A chargers and even a charger i made that can deliver over 4A while keeping stable 5V) and nothing makes a difference, so it must be some sort of a software limit somewhere. If anyone could provide any help or information on how this feature works(what files does it change and such stuff) that would be very nice to know.

I think you can port it over.
Just search for the commits in my repo that are having the word "charge" or "charging" in the commit text. Then you have all files that need changes as well.

Andi

Reactions: zonedgold

gabolander

Mar 27, 2011
Rimini, Italy, Adriatic coast
Hi all,

Sorry for the dumb question, but where should I download the last kernel binary for N8000 KK from, since download link in http://www.boeffla-kernel.de/ for that device seems to be dead?

Tnx in advance.
G.

andip71

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
Potsdam
OnePlus 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Announcement

*** Announcement *** Announcement *** Announcement *** Announcement ***

Hi all,

I take the opportunity today to announce some big, significant changes for the upcoming future with immediate effect.

The story is short: In the past months I realized the total work for providing 10 active (and many more silently maintained) kernels is becoming too much for my personal work/professional work/life balance.
Thinking about it I realized the biggest part of the work does not come from actual development itself but the whole administrative overhead like support, maintaining change logs everywhere, thread titles, being very reactive in forum threads, answering many mail requests for help for development etc.

So I came to the conclusion I have two options in the end:
a) I will quit kernel development officially and that's it
b) I have to do significant changes

For the time being I decided to go with option b.

This option comes with a lot of changes, painful changes for some, but this is how life goes.
Everyone not fine with these changes is happily encouraged to leave the boat and search for alternatives. We haven an open market and community, so there will be for sure enough alternatives.

So here the list of things that will change in the future with immediate effect as of today:

1) As-is mentality

• The kernels and the config app will in future come as-is, with all bugs or side effects and I might or might not change it-
  • It is your personal responsibility to use or not use my work.
  • I do not at all care if the kernel or the app does not run or has side effects on your specific custom rom, I am not using these roms, so it is your problem. Same applies for issues caused by xposed usage, other scripts, other configuration apps, other rooting methods etc.

2) Development pace

• The pace will be significantly reduced, I am not providing something like regular updates anymore.
  • Updates will only come when I cosider them being important. Asking for updates will be ignored.
  • In general I have the opinion, my kernels are well equipped and I am not planning to add big new features.
  • I will not justify nor discuss why I put in or remove functionalities

3) Bug reporting

You can and should report bugs, but I will
  • most probably not respond to or comment the report at all
  • read the reports from time to time and try to reproduce it on my device
  • only look into a fix if I can reproduce it on my side
  • exceptionally take the liberty to decide not to fix something or even look into it
  • not respond to follow-ups on reported issues in general
  • ignore all bug reports that require a log file and the log file is not a debug info file created within Boeffla-Config

4) New feature requests

You can still bring in your ideas for new features, but I will

• not respond to them or comment them
  • based on whether I like it I will put it on my internal list of todos
  • never respond with any ETAs

5) Reduce admin overhead

• I will not post change logs anymore in the forums, only links to it (also in new kernel announcements)
  • I will not change forum thread titles anymore to update version information, they will be generic - watch my homepage, Twitter or the threads content for updates
  • in future I might decide to only announce new versions on Twitter and not in forums anymore
  • I will be not that active anymore in forum threads, while I am still regularly reading them
  • I will only join general discussions when I have too much free time

6) Other

• I will, for the time being, not take on additional devices for official kernel work
  • I will consider dropping one or two devices completely if required (would be the Galaxy S3 and S5)
  • I will consider dropping the OOS kernel for the OnePlus One as this is a niche product only
  • I will only sometimes respond on help requests for development anymore, if you get no answer, accept it

While many of these points might be painful for someone or maybe even unacceptable, this is the life.
And it will and should help to foster a strong user community in the threads that help each other and remove the hard dependency on me.

I will see how that goes and evolves over the next few weeks. If all goes as I hope, and my work/life balance comes back, I will keep it.
If that is not paying off, I might consider leaving the arena completely as well.

Thanks for supporting the new approach.
I will not discuss it at all, so please just read and accept it.

Cheers
Andi

Haldi4803

Thinking about it I realized the biggest part of the work does not come from actual development itself but the whole administrative overhead like support, maintaining change logs everywhere, thread titles, being very reactive in forum threads, answering many mail requests for help for development etc.
I've been thinking this for a long long time and always wondered how you Single Person Dev's keep up with this ^^

Glad you went with Route B :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** NOTE: All kernels are now officially end-of-life (EOL).
    Please do not expect any more updates for them in future, no maintenance and no bugfixing. ***

Hi all,

this is the thread about my Boeffla-Kernel for the Galaxy Note 10.1 n80xx.
    Some of you might know my kernel already from the Galaxy S3 area.

If you want to learn more about the kernel, it's features and how to configure what, I would recommend you to visit the Galaxy S3 thread of the kernel.

Compatibility

Important: This kernel is only meant to be compatible with official Samsung stock firmware and nothing else.
    So when the kernel does not run on custom rom XYZ, do not even bother me with it or ask hundred times in the thread for compatibility.
    I could not care less about it !!

Notes:
    From version 2.2 onwards, this kernel should work on the following devices: n8000, n8010 and n8013

This kernel is only for Samsung based Jelly Bean (Android 4.1.x) roms!!! Do not install it on CM or AOSP based roms!!!

If you have questions to settings, presets, others configuration and wanna share your configuration, head over to the unofficial Boeffla-Config App Config sharing thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621308

Support

First read the FAQ section on the Homepage !!!

Click here to learn about all possible kernel settings in the config app.
    Click here to learn about using the config app.
    I will refuse to give support if you do any undervolting and experience freezes or hot reboots.

Change logs

(you can also access them directly in Boeffla-Config V2 by pressing menu and selecting "change log...")

Change log for Android 4.1.x kernels: KLICK HERE

Features

* To tweak and configure the kernel, manually load and install the app "Boeffla-Config V2" from here: DOWNLOAD
    * Upstreamed to Linux 3.0.101 (www.kernel.org)
    * Based on Samsung source code GT-N8000_JB_Opensource_Update7
    * Initramfs from XXCMJ3 stock kernel
    * CPU "soft" overclocking to 1500 or 1600 MHz
    * CPU undervolting interface
    * GPU frequencies configurable (underclocking, overclocking up to 700 MHz)
    * GPU voltages configurable (undervolting, overvolting)
    * Configurable charger rate for AC and USB (default increased to 1800 mA for ac charging)
    * Charge info display support
    * Configurable zRam
    * Configurable touch boost frequency
    * Configurable early suspend time (for screen off animations, 100ms default)
    * Boeffla-Sound engine V1.6.5 to unleash the power of the audio hub wm1811
    * Additional governors: zzmoove 0.7d, pegasusqplus,smartassv2 and lulzactiveq
    * Governor profiles for pegasusq, pegasusqplus and zzmoove for performance, battery saving etc.
    * Additional schedulers: ROW, ZEN, BFQ (v6r2) and SIO
    * Schedulers configurable separate for internal and external SD memory
    * Hardcore speedmod sharpness fix implemented (default is off)
    * SD card read ahead buffer configurable separate for internal and external SD memory (default increased to 256 kB)
    * Black crush fix for better balanced display
    * Ext4 File system tweaks (default to on, can be disabled)
    * System Tweaks predefined supported (default is off)
    * WIFI Multicast filter for better battery life
    * WIFI wakelock times reduction
    * Proportional rate reduction for TCP
    * TCP congestion changed from Cubic to Westwood
    * Wifi mac address change support
    * Dynamic fsync 1.2 implemented
    * Timeout for external SD card changed to improve handling of crappy SD cards
    * Custom boot animation support
    * Swap supported (but not recommended, use zRam instead)
    * init.d support (in /system/etc/init.d - set correct permissions!)
    * NTFS (read-only access only!) compiled as a module
    * CIFS compiled as a module
    * NFS compiled as a module
    * XBox controller support as module
    * exFat support switchable (switch it off if you do not need it)
    * Battery monitor wakelocks reduced
    * Kernel can root if required (create file "autoroot" on internal sd and reboot)
    * Android logger can be disabled
    * Kernel logging can be disabled
    * Disabled various debug logs and traces
    * Frandom compiled as a module (for mods like Crossbreeder)
    * Automatic EFS backup to external (priority) or internal SD Card (fallback)
    * Kernel initialisation log file (with history of 3 log files)
    * Emergency reset script automatically placed into /boeffla-kernel-data folder of your internal memory
    * Compatibility to common standard apps (Voltage Control, SetCPU, System tuner etc.)
    * Compiled with Google arm 4.7 toolchain
    * Internal kernel busybox version 1.21.1

Download

For all information and downloads (stable AND testing versions), visit the Boeffla-Kernel homepage:
    www.boeffla.de

Objective

The objective of this kernel is to have a kernel for daily use. It does not aim for best battery life, or best smoothness or best benchmark scores. It aims more for a good mix of all, not sacrificing stability and functionality in the end.
    And - most important: It aims to stay quite close to stock !!!

I will, also in future, only add features that make sense to me personally as well and are not against my initial objectives. You can always raise your wishes and requests, however there is absolutely no guarantee it will be implemented.

This said, I will definitely NEVER implement:

• dual boot (I do not need it)
    • color "calibration" (I do not like it, but I like the crispy stock colours)
    • real hard overclocking higher than 1600 MHz as this is outside of Exynos specs
    • f2fs - it is known to cause various issues and compatibility problems
    • anything that requires upstreaming of kernel parts to a higher kernel major version
    So do not even ask for it. Everything else I am happy to check and decide.

Compatibility

To reiterate it again: This kernel is only for Samsung based Jelly Bean (Android 4.1.x) firmwares. It is not designed to run on AOSP based roms!

Configuration of the kernel

To tweak and configure the kernel, manually load and install the app "Boeffla-Config V2" from the downloads section on www.boeffla.de.

Donation

If you like my work, feel free to donate: Donation-Link

You will receive a personal donation code which unlocks some nice comfort functions in Boeffla-Config V2 on top.

Source code

All sources can be found in my Github repository: http://github.com/andip71

Credits to developers

Of course, I had never been able to create all that by my own. So I want to give credits to the really good developers around, that have given me all the inspiration and from which I cherry picked lots of the implemented functionalities:

* Yank555
    * ZaneZam
    * Hardcore
    * Chainfire
    * Harunjo
    * AndreiLux
    * Netarchy
    * Gokhanmoral
    * Simone201
    * Supercurio
    * Mialwe
    * Entropy512
    * Faux

... I just hope I did not forget someone. If so, please let me know and I will add you of course.
    Thanks to all of you for your great work !!!

Disclaimer

*** As always - Flash on our own risk! ***

Make sure you flash the correct version depending on your firmware version!

I can and will not take any responsibility for bricked phones or lost data.

It is generally recommended to run a complete Nandroid backup in CWM recovery and safely store your personal data before you flash a new kernel.

Cheers and enjoy
    Andi
    Hi all,

3.0-beta3 is now ready for you (both n8000 and n801x variants).

Change log is the same for both kernels.

Version 3.0-beta3

• Update zzmoove to version 1.0-beta1 (credits to ZaneZam)
    • Update exFat driver to 1.2.9
    • Update the flash binary in the boeffla-kernel-reset recovery script, bump to version 3.1
    Enjoy
    Andi
    KK kernel update...

Update on the status of the KK kernel:

I am quite happy the pre-testers seem to be very satisfied with the first Boeffla-Kernel KK beta1 already.

However, I am honest: For expectation management, do please not expect a release to public soon.
    Reason is: Contrary to your experience, my kernel does not yet meet my own quality requirements. I have issues with freezes and hotreboots every then and now. Unfortunately could not yet pinpoint a pattern, so it is lots of trial&error in the next days and weeks.
    It might even be a problem of my dirty flash of 4.4.2 over 4.1.2, but I need to find out over the next days/weeks...

Thanks
    Andi
    New app

Hi all,

I just released Boeffla-Config V2 in version 2.1.49 now.

And the good news is: This is the last time you need to manually download and install. This version has from now on an online-updater included, so in future this goes easy for you and with only 3 clicks :)

Boeffla-Config V2, version 2.1.49

• App updater now downloads and install new app fully automated !!!
    • Kernel, modem and recovery flash now possible for tar, img and bin files
    • Improved LED test button behaviour
    • New menu to manually check for app updates added
    • WIFI supplicant scan interval can be overwritten in settings
    • Settings regrouped
    Enjoy
    Andi
    Stable update

Hi all,

Enjoy
    Andi