[APP] Spotlite - Listen to Spotify [Spotify Client for Premium/Unlimited Users]

Search This thread

hsalps

Nov 16, 2012
Since Spotify will not build a store app for Windows 8/8.1, I decided to develop my own app to listen to Spotify. It took a few months to understand how to call in to Spotify but after many trials it is working and stable. It has been on the Windows Store for over a week now and I have fixed many glaring glitches to make the experience smooth. Currently it only supports Spotify Premium/Unlimited users as Free accounts have to show spotify advertisements at regular interval and have many restrictions. If you have a Spotify Account and would like to try this on Windows 8 then head over to the Windows Store and download it. Here is the link to the description page and the download link is in the page. It is only available in all the countries where Spotify is available. Feel free to report any glitches on this thread or at the spotlite website.

Screenshot.235757.100000.jpg

Download Page

[Update 10/16/2013: It now allows free spotify users to login and play tracks]

Last edited:

gerke

Jun 1, 2006
Since Spotify will not build a store app for Windows 8/8.1, I decided to develop my own app to listen to Spotify. It took a few months to reverse engineer Spotify APIs but finally it is working and stable. It has been on the Windows Store for over a week now and I have fixed many glaring glitches to make the experience smooth. Currently it only supports Spotify Premium/Unlimited users as Free accounts have to show spotify advertisements at regular interval and have many restrictions. If you have a Spotify Account and would like to try this on Windows 8 then head over to the Windows Store and download it. Here is the link to the description page and the download link is in the page. It is only available in select countries like US, Sweden, Germany, UK, Mexico etc. Feel free to report any glitches on this thread or at the spotlite website.

Thanks
Hsalps

Great work, I've seen it working with a friend of mine.
Unfortunately, my store account is dutch and I can't find/install the app.
Can you fix that, it's much appreciated if you can.

Same here ... Awesome initiative, and or those who do not see it in the store (yet), change your location to United Kingdom and it will appear. Install it and set your location back to your original location. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kh007lid and gerke

FrozenLord

Feb 17, 2009
Wrong location query in marketplace?

It is only available in select countries like US, Sweden, Germany, UK, Mexico etc.

Hey there, thanks for this great app!
I really love the look and have been wondering for quite some time, why Spotify won't build a Metro app.

But I have one problem with your app: it requires a US location.
To clarify, I use two Windows 8 PCs and am based in Germany.
On my main PC, I could easily access your app via the market place, while on my tablet it just wouldn't find the app.
After running through all my settings, I found out that my main PC (for whatever reason) was set to US location (settings panel - region - location).
When I checked my tablet, it was set to Germany...
After changing this the app finally appeared on the tablet as well :)
Could you please correct this?

Thanks.

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
I really love the look and have been wondering for quite some time, why Spotify won't build a Metro app.

It is only available in select countries like US, Sweden, Germany, UK, Mexico etc.

It mentioned the region lock in the original post, but you should have been able to get it in germany...

Reactions: gerke

hsalps

Nov 16, 2012
It mentioned the region lock in the original post, but you should have been able to get it in germany...

I think i was very tired fixing all the bugs when i wrote the original post. Spotlite is being launched in various countries in a phased manner, so far it is available in Australia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hong Kong SAR, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Sweden, UK, US. I will launch the app in all the markets tonight and it should be available in the store by tomorrow.

Sephi

Oct 18, 2008
Your app is awesome, thanks a lot! I got one problem though: Playback often stops, telling me that my internet connection is too slow. Which certainly isn't the case. I never had that problem with my pc or my mobile phone and I'm always streaming the highest quality possible. Any idea?

hsalps

Nov 16, 2012
Your app is awesome, thanks a lot! I got one problem though: Playback often stops, telling me that my internet connection is too slow. Which certainly isn't the case. I never had that problem with my pc or my mobile phone and I'm always streaming the highest quality possible. Any idea?

hmmm. Is it possible for you to reproduce the problem and send me the Spotlite.log file?

Here are the instructions on how to find this log file.

1. Press windows key + R
2. Type %localappdata%\Packages\49573Spotlite.Spotlite-ListentoSpotify_z5pndgmqb06wp\LocalState and press enter
3. Open Spotlite.log and remove all lines starting containing the string "name":"connect","id":"0". I do not want your auth token :)
4. PM me the modified spotlite.log file.

Reactions: Sephi

Sephi

Oct 18, 2008
Im getting errors all the time now it's barely working. Maybe its because I'm still on preview?

hsalps

Nov 16, 2012
Im getting errors all the time now it's barely working. Maybe its because I'm still on preview?

Sephi, there is a new version of Spotlite 1.0.0.36 on the windows store that caches tracks so you should see less of these errors. It would be nice if you could give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Sephi

Oct 18, 2008
I still get random logouts after 2-3 minutes...right now I really can't use the app, too many errors. I'd buy it if it really works. There is also some bug with playlists I guess. I used the search and the things I clicked were automatically added as a playlist although I never intended that...

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

"Internal Error - please try again later" after 2-3 minutes is what always happens.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

"Internal Error - please try again later" after 2-3 minutes is what always happens.

Reactions: hsalps

hsalps

Nov 16, 2012
I still get random logouts after 2-3 minutes...right now I really can't use the app, too many errors. I'd buy it if it really works. There is also some bug with playlists I guess. I used the search and the things I clicked were automatically added as a playlist although I never intended that...

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Thanks for the feedback.

I suspect that your tablet is going to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity, which is done to conserve battery. One way to avoid the problem you are facing is to keep the tablet plugged in to a power outlet and make the following changes:

From the tiled Start Screen, swipe up from the bottom of the Tablet and go to All Apps. From here, you can swipe your way left and choose Control Panel from the last grouping under the Windows System subhead.

Choose the System and Security option when Control Panel opens.

Find the Power Options area and open it.

On the left-hand side of the Power Options area, choose Change when the computer sleeps.

Set your preferred options (I recommend "Never") for the Plugged in value and Save Changes.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

Also I highly recommend Windows 8.1 RT some of the issues that you are seeing could be related to slow performance in Windows 8 RT

Sephi

Oct 18, 2008
Thanks for the feedback.

I suspect that your tablet is going to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity, which is done to conserve battery. One way to avoid the problem you are facing is to keep the tablet plugged in to a power outlet and make the following changes:

From the tiled Start Screen, swipe up from the bottom of the Tablet and go to All Apps. From here, you can swipe your way left and choose Control Panel from the last grouping under the Windows System subhead.

Choose the System and Security option when Control Panel opens.

Find the Power Options area and open it.

On the left-hand side of the Power Options area, choose Change when the computer sleeps.

Set your preferred options (I recommend "Never") for the Plugged in value and Save Changes.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

Also I highly recommend Windows 8.1 RT some of the issues that you are seeing could be related to slow performance in Windows 8 RT

Hey there already tried that an I am on 8.1. Doesn't help either. Also on the login screen it always tells me =invalid credentials = before I use Facebook login.

hsalps

Nov 16, 2012
Hey there already tried that an I am on 8.1. Doesn't help either. Also on the login screen it always tells me =invalid credentials = before I use Facebook login.
That is strange. What type of account do you have? Free/Unlimited/Premium? Do you have non-English characters in your password?

Regarding your early question, when you click on a playlist that you searched it will get added to your account. Currently there is no way to view the playlist before adding it. To remove the playlist you can use Spotify Desktop.

Sephi

Oct 18, 2008
That is strange. What type of account do you have? Free/Unlimited/Premium? Do you have non-English characters in your password?

Regarding your early question, when you click on a playlist that you searched it will get added to your account. Currently there is no way to view the playlist before adding it. To remove the playlist you can use Spotify Desktop.

I am using a Premium Account and I'm connected via Facebook. No non-english-chars in my PW. Is there a way to completly deinstall and reinstall the program? I did it before but I have the feeling that some stats stay so it's not a complete new reinstall. You know what I mean?

jhermans

Aug 19, 2009
Beverwijk
Somehow I only see 15 out of my 40+ playlists. I have a spotify premium account.
Is this a limitation of the app, or do I have to buy it to see more?
If not, is there anything I can do to fix this?

pggarcia

Nov 13, 2010
Budapest
In the windows store and after installing the app tells it shouldn't be used with free accounts.
I couldn't find the exact part of the terms and condition that doesn't allow you to use a third party app.
I was wondering if we arre supposed to use the app with free accounts or not?

CambaStorm

Oct 23, 2011
Hi... Really like to try your app, but can't install it, when I go the link it didn't show in the Store, also tried to search on the store and didn't found the app. I'm from Bolivia if this info helps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since Spotify will not build a store app for Windows 8/8.1, I decided to develop my own app to listen to Spotify. It took a few months to understand how to call in to Spotify but after many trials it is working and stable. It has been on the Windows Store for over a week now and I have fixed many glaring glitches to make the experience smooth. Currently it only supports Spotify Premium/Unlimited users as Free accounts have to show spotify advertisements at regular interval and have many restrictions. If you have a Spotify Account and would like to try this on Windows 8 then head over to the Windows Store and download it. Here is the link to the description page and the download link is in the page. It is only available in all the countries where Spotify is available. Feel free to report any glitches on this thread or at the spotlite website.

Screenshot.235757.100000.jpg

Download Page

I think i was very tired fixing all the bugs when i wrote the original post. Spotlite is being launched in various countries in a phased manner, so far it is available in Australia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hong Kong SAR, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Sweden, UK, US. I will launch the app in all the markets tonight and it should be available in the store by tomorrow.

Same here ... Awesome initiative, and or those who do not see it in the store (yet), change your location to United Kingdom and it will appear. Install it and set your location back to your original location. :)

hmmm. Is it possible for you to reproduce the problem and send me the Spotlite.log file?

Here are the instructions on how to find this log file.

1. Press windows key + R
    2. Type %localappdata%\Packages\49573Spotlite.Spotlite-ListentoSpotify_z5pndgmqb06wp\LocalState and press enter
    3. Open Spotlite.log and remove all lines starting containing the string "name":"connect","id":"0". I do not want your auth token :)
    4. PM me the modified spotlite.log file.