Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,319 Members 53,018 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] WebSharing 2.0: view/transfer files/media via browser/WiFi

Tip us?

tliebeck
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,143
Default [APP] WebSharing 2.0: view/transfer files/media via browser/WiFi

WebSharing is an app that lets you view/transfer files and media between your Android device and a computer using a Web browser over a Wi-Fi network. The 1.x version line has been out for an age (since '09), this thread is about 2.0 and future development.

The 2.0 beta is currently available, I'd greatly appreciate any help testing it. See next post for info on obtaining it via Google Play Store beta channel and/or direct download.

The most significant improvements in 2.0 (vs 1.x) are:
  • Drag-and-drop file/folder uploading (included in the free version, without any limitations).
  • Holo UI in the Android app, and in the web browser.
  • Flash is no longer required for advanced features (they're all implemented in HTML5 with Flash fallback).
  • Still no ads.

To start using WebSharing, make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi, then open the app and tap the "Start" button. You'll see a screen like the one below:

Follow the directions on the screen, pointing your computer's Web browser at the address shown. You'll then see a WebSharing welcome screen that looks like this:

Enter the random generated password and click "Continue". (You can set a permanent custom password in the settings, if you prefer.)

Once you're logged in, you can browse around the filesystem. Double-click to open or download items. Single click to select them. Ctrl+Click to select multiple items. Use the pulldown menu in the upper left corner perform file operations, or just right-click on files.

WebSharing 2 has an all-new HTML5-based file upload system:
  • Files can be uploaded by dragging them into the browser window.
  • You can drag multiple files in at once.
  • If you use Google Chrome, you can upload entire folder hierarchies by dragging them into the browser.
  • You can drag in more files while files are uploading, they'll be added to the queue.
  • You can navigate to other folders while files are uploading, and then drag files into those locations. They'll be added to the queue as well.
  • You can also use the "File" menu to upload files if you'd prefer not to use drag-and-drop.
  • Older browsers can still use legacy file upload controls.
  • You can click anywhere in the upload progress area to see a detailed view of upload progress.
  • In 2.0, the multiple file upload system is now a free feature (in 1.x, only the paid version allowed multiple file upload via a Flash-based control).
  • All of this is provided in the free version, without any limitations.

When files are dragged in (or uploaded using the File menu), the progress bar will appear at the bottom of the screen:

All the features shown up to this point are completely free. Like FX File Explorer and WebSharing 1.x, the paid version of WebSharing adds media support, i.e., direct access to music, photos, and videos.

In the full version, you can click the music tab to browse/play music. Double-click on a track to start streaming music from the phone to the web browser. You can listen to streamed music while performing other tasks.

You can browse music by track, artist, album, or playlist. The screenshot below shows the by-album view. Music can be directly uploaded by dragging files into the music view. Files uploaded here will be placed in a folder that you configure in the app's settings (the default is the "Music" folder on your device's primary storage/SD Card).

Clicking the photos tab allows you to browse all images stored on the device. The new "Thumbnail Size" slider can be used to zoom in/out.

WebSharing uses my usual free/paid model:

* Free version is free, paid version is cheaper than dirt.
* No ads in either version.
* Free version is not a watered down trial with a bunch of limitations. It's very usable and many users will only need it.
* The paid version adds more stuff.
* Neither version phones home, collects personal information, or does any other "doubleplusungood" things.
Tod Liebeck // NextApp
[ Google+ ] [ Twitter ] [ FX File Explorer: XDA Thread | Play Store ] [ WebSharing: XDA Thread | Play Store ] [ NextApp Keyboard: XDA Thread | Play Store ] [ Atlas Web Browser: XDA Thread | Play Store ]
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to tliebeck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tliebeck
Old
(Last edited by tliebeck; 23rd January 2014 at 10:03 AM.) Reason: Updated direct download link.
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,143
Getting WebSharing 2.0 BETA

2.0 beta can be downloaded by joining this Google+ community:
https://plus.google.com/communities/...36679203185116

Then visit one of the following links to "opt-in" to the beta program:

For WebSharing Lite (the free version):
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/nextapp.websharing

For WebSharing (the paid version):
https://play.google.com/apps/testing....websharing.r1

Once you've opted in, visit the Play Store and install it, you'll get 2.0 beta.

DIRECT DOWNLOAD: Alternatively you can download the Lite version APK directly here: http://android.nextapp.com/websharin...Lite_r2014.apk
Tod Liebeck // NextApp
[ Google+ ] [ Twitter ] [ FX File Explorer: XDA Thread | Play Store ] [ WebSharing: XDA Thread | Play Store ] [ NextApp Keyboard: XDA Thread | Play Store ] [ Atlas Web Browser: XDA Thread | Play Store ]
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tliebeck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nucleotide
Old
Thanks Meter 753

DONATE TO ME
WebSharing 2 is looking awesome.

This is the search box. It is located in the top right of each thread. Learn to use it!

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: Purity
Kernel: Code_Blue Kernel

Find me on:
- Google+
- Twitter

My Devices:
Motorola Flip Phone | Philips Savvy | Ericsson T28 | Nokia 8855 | Nokia e55 | iPhone 3G *shudders* | HTC Desire | HTC Sensation | Samsung Galaxy Nexus | Nexus 4 | Nexus 7 (2012) | Nexus 5 | Nexus 7 (2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Nucleotide For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bruce7373
Old
Thanks Meter 418
Tod, I installed the Lite version which works fine with my phone (N4). But I can't get a Wi-Fi connection with my tablet (N10). Restarted my router, toggled Wi-Fi, but still unable. Diagnostics shows it's unable to ping, yet it's able to make an internet connection. Both devices are running 4.3 AOKP. What should I check?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to bruce7373 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tliebeck
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce7373 View Post
Tod, I installed the Lite version which works fine with my phone (N4). But I can't get a Wi-Fi connection with my tablet (N10). Restarted my router, toggled Wi-Fi, but still unable. Diagnostics shows it's unable to ping, yet it's able to make an internet connection. Both devices are running 4.3 AOKP. What should I check?

Thanks for reporting this!

In the diagnostics, does it show a "wlan0" item (or similar) with a valid IP address?

And WiFi is the only means this thing could get to the internet, correct?
Tod Liebeck // NextApp

bruce7373
Old
(Last edited by bruce7373; 30th September 2013 at 01:55 AM.)
Thanks Meter 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tliebeck View Post
Thanks for reporting this!

In the diagnostics, does it show a "wlan0" item (or similar) with a valid IP address?

And WiFi is the only means this thing could get to the internet, correct?
Yes, IP is valid. Right, the N10 is Wi-Fi only. I did try using my N4 as a hotspot and got the same results, so I guess that takes my router out of the equation. Here are a couple of screenshots of the diagnostics window:

The Following User Says Thank You to bruce7373 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nucleotide
Old
Thanks Meter 753

DONATE TO ME
Spelling mistake: Iamges Folder Count

This is the search box. It is located in the top right of each thread. Learn to use it!

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: Purity
Kernel: Code_Blue Kernel

Find me on:
- Google+
- Twitter

My Devices:
Motorola Flip Phone | Philips Savvy | Ericsson T28 | Nokia 8855 | Nokia e55 | iPhone 3G *shudders* | HTC Desire | HTC Sensation | Samsung Galaxy Nexus | Nexus 4 | Nexus 7 (2012) | Nexus 5 | Nexus 7 (2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Nucleotide For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tliebeck
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,143
Quote:
Yes, IP is valid. Right, the N10 is Wi-Fi only. I did try using my N4 as a hotspot and got the same results, so I guess that takes my router out of the equation. Here are a couple of screenshots of the diagnostics window:

One more question that I forgot to ask...is it accessible if you just enter the address anyway, or is it just the diagnostics that are failing?

I have seen a lot of issues with the ping command on custom ROMs on the N10. I forget if you were one of the reporters of this, but with FX, the feature where it checks if network hosts are available was causing N10s with certain ROMs to spontaneously reboot. The exact same code ping library is being used in FX and WebSharing (which in turn just calls /system/bin/ping).
Tod Liebeck // NextApp

bruce7373
Old
(Last edited by bruce7373; 30th September 2013 at 01:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tliebeck View Post
One more question that I forgot to ask...is it accessible if you just enter the address anyway, or is it just the diagnostics that are failing?

I have seen a lot of issues with the ping command on custom ROMs on the N10. I forget if you were one of the reporters of this, but with FX, the feature where it checks if network hosts are available was causing N10s with certain ROMs to spontaneously reboot. The exact same code ping library is being used in FX and WebSharing (which in turn just calls /system/bin/ping).
Aha, it is accessible on my PC (but I don't have the password to enter).

Yes, I remember that ping issue with FX (even remember which ROM it was). But both my N4 and N10 are currently on the same ROM (4.3 AOKP official). Are different libraries used anyway? If you like, I could try another ROM and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: Curiously got the best of me, . I flashed a different ROM (Purity 4.3, which is JWR based, as opposed to AOKP which is JSL), and, sure enough, no problem with ping. So I guess it is specific to certain manta ROMs. Is it possible to have similar settings as in FX to disable the ping command, or is that essential to the app's function?

tliebeck
Old
(Last edited by tliebeck; 30th September 2013 at 01:39 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,143
Quote:
Aha, it is accessible on my PC (but I don't have the password to enter).

Yes, I remember that ping issue with FX (even remember which ROM it was). But both my N4 and N10 are currently on the same ROM (4.3 AOKP official). Are different libraries used anyway? If you like, I could try another ROM and see if that makes a difference.

The ping bug I've seen was pretty specific to the Nexus 10 (but might have seen one other device do it too). I still find the general ping problem the oddest bugs I've seen. I have at least three reports of it from N10 users on three different ROMs.. I want to say AOKP, CM10.1, and maybe Paranoid Android as well. I think some have fixed it, but I have no idea what the underlying problem was.

You can disable the connectivity monitor altogether, go into Settings->Network Settings and then uncheck "Connectivity Monitor". That might completely fix this problem.

I think I'm going to disable this feature by default in the next version. It was initially implemented to work around issues with certain devices that would shut WiFi off or otherwise put it into a lower power mode that would often cause it to drop connectivity. Devices would enter this mode when the screen was turned off. The Nexus One was particularly offensive in this case. There's now a far better workaround in WebSharing (and FX) for this issue, i.e., using a "high performance" WiFi lock. This API flag to use the "high performance" lock was documented in Android 2.3 or 3.0, but was undocumented in 2.1, 2.2., and possibly 2.3 (though it's existed since 2.1 I believe). On these devices, a "normal" WiFi Lock wasn't adequate, so WebSharing would alert the user if it saw connectivity drop out, and more importantly, briefly turn the screen on and off. The connectivity monitor itself was left in as it still can be a useful feature.
Tod Liebeck // NextApp

Tags
file manager, file transfer, web browser, websharing, wifi