Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,721 Members 52,593 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus7 mobile Bluetooth keyboard - unboxing and first impressions with pictures

Tip us?

Dav_prime
Old
(Last edited by Dav_prime; 30th September 2013 at 10:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Default Nexus7 mobile Bluetooth keyboard - unboxing and first impressions with pictures

Today I received my "Mobile bluetooth Keyboard for nexus 7" bought via amazon UK for 16.99.

As this is a first impressions review I will type out the OP with the keyboard and add pictures in a second post.

The device comes in a fairly minimal and sleek box. This was nice as it fit through my letterbox saving me a trip to the post office to collect it. (fig.1). On the bottom are a list of specifications with plenty of typing errors to add some amusement. The back has a couple of pictures of the keyboard with and without the nexus docked (Fig.2).

Inside the box there is a microUSB cable, the keyboard and a detailed set-up guide (being a man I did not bother to read the instructions when setting up). Within are some amusing instructions including "Do not microwave" and "The battery light will start blingking". Nevertheless this guide will help those less familiar with connecting devices set up quickly. (Fig.3)

The device itself has a purposeful power switch and "connect" button with good feedback. the Bluetooth status light is very bright so you can easily see when its working.

The N7 fits quite well into the groove between the keyboard and back panel. Its not as secure as I hoped and took a few attempts to seat it correctly. It does feel very back-heavy but the lip out back makes me confident that its not going to tip over. (Figs 4 and 5).

The device itself is very small. You wont be able to touch type on it so its index fingers only if you have large hands like me. The keys have a good amount of travel but feel a tad spongey so there have been a few missed letters here and there. The ridge at the front is quite intrusive and prevents you hitting the space bar with your thumb which is frustrating at first but something you quickly get used to. For typing long documents (or in this case XDA posts) is nicer then it would be with an on screen keyboard and I have made far fewer typos.

The N7 fits nicely in the case and seems quite sturdy (Figs 6 and 7). It adds no more bulk then my smart cover and does work as a nice stand, but the angle the device is held at is quite steep so may not be idea for movies.

The need to hit ctrl to get characters like - and + seems a bit odd and took me a while to work out, but having these options is a welcome addition.

My overall first impression is positive. Yes a larger Bluetooth keyboard and separate stand is a better option if you intend to write a novel. However, if you want to avoid the extra bulk of a separate device and want a functional keyboard on the go this seems like a decent buy given the price.

Over the coming days I intend to write a bit of a paper I am working on with it whilst away from home. This should be a good test of the device and will also give me a chance to try out the media controls, battery life and use under less then ideal conditions without a proper desk. I will update this post after a few days. Please see post 2 for photos and links.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
Current Devices
LG Google Nexus 4
ROM: Stock 4.4.4 || Kernel: Stock
Xposed modules installed: GravityBox, AppOps Xposed, Heads Up Notifications, XgelSettings, Hodor (sometimes)
Other mods: Viper for Android, Busybox

2013 Nexus 7
ROM: AndroidL - Stock rooted
Mods: Busybox

Previous Devices
orange SPV M700 -> Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 -> HTC desire -> HTC desire S -> Samsung Galaxy S3

Dav_prime
Old
(Last edited by Dav_prime; 30th September 2013 at 11:10 PM.) Reason: Add photos
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Product Link - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F35ZVI...986871_TE_item - looks like its gone up since I placed this order. However others are listed a bit cheaper.

Fig.1:

Fig.2

Fig.3

Fig.4

Fig.5

Fig.6

Fig.7

Current Devices
LG Google Nexus 4
Xposed modules installed: GravityBox, AppOps Xposed, Heads Up Notifications, XgelSettings, Hodor (sometimes)

2013 Nexus 7

Previous Devices
orange SPV M700 -> Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 -> HTC desire -> HTC desire S -> Samsung Galaxy S3

Warbuff
Old
Thanks Meter 129
Great review. Judging by the pictures this appears to be the same as the minisuit http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WSCW4S/..._ws_us?ie=UTF8

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Dav_prime
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Yeah i think it is the same.

After a week with it I have to say its grown on me more and more, I have taken to using it for writing lengthy e-mails and some notes instead of the laptop when sitting around at home or on-the-move. It is defiantly a bit cramped but I'm fine with that as it fits like a normal case so can be carried with it as I would with a smart cover.

A small note on build quality, the fit is not perfect so it rattles and slips a little when closed, but this is a minor annoyance. Also it would have been nice to dock the tablet in screen-up when you don't have room/want to put the keyboard to one side.

If there is anything you want me to try with it please ask. You can't put the tablet in in portrait mode as it will top over unfortunately.

Current Devices
LG Google Nexus 4

2013 Nexus 7

Previous Devices