Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,772 Members 51,948 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ANT+ Coming to All Galaxy S4 (And All New Samsung Flagships in the Future)

Tip us?

OneCanuck
Old
(Last edited by OneCanuck; 6th November 2013 at 06:45 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Thumbs up ANT+ Coming to All Galaxy S4 (And All New Samsung Flagships in the Future)

Ray Maker of DC Rainmaker on Twitter reports ANT+ is coming to the Samsung Galaxy S4 through an October Firmware update and will be supported on all flagship devices going into the future
dcrainmakerblog
"We will support ANT+ in the Galaxy S4 in a firmware update coming in October" - Samsung (at the ANT+ Symposium)
dcrainmakerblog
"We do plan to support ANT+ on all of our flagship smartphone devices in the future" - Samsung (at the ANT+ Symposium)

Ray now has a blog post about this:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/s...e-devices.html

Particularly for anyone with sports data tracking devices this is huge news! Not to mention ANT+ is pretty simple to implement now with the new Plugin services they're bundling with the Note 3 right now

ANT also allows you to build really neat wireless topologies as well if your into that stuff, plus it supports full multicast as seen on DC Rainmaker:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/09/c...t-cycling.html

A little background on ANT and ANT+:
ANT is a mature ultra low power wireless protocol running on the 2.4 GHz band like WiFi and Bluetooth. Bluetooth Smart is a protocol similar to ANT but architected around Bluetooth style bonding/pairing with several connection layers and services.
ANT is a compact and flexible protocol, allowing virtually any type of wireless network topology to be created. ANT transmitters automatically manage coexistence and divide the RF channel they are transmitting on into timeslots, which means any number of receivers can listen to an ANT device, excellent for gyms, training areas, anything which requires a large number of transmitters, as ANT can handle potentially hundreds of devices transmitting to an infinite number of receivers.

ANT+ is a set of interoperability specifications called "Device Profiles" which means devices which use them are able to "talk" to one another. ANT+ has reportedly shipped in over 60+ million devices globally, predominantly in Sports and Fitness (Adidas miCoach, Garmin Watches, Running Sensors, Heart Rate Straps, etc).

Why does this matter?
Right now, it only matters if you're into any type of sports or fitness training, or if you have an idea which requires 600+ transmitters communicating to XXX number of receivers simultaneously. As a nice bonus, any ANT+ device is compatible with any app as long as it's certified.

For developers
The ANT+ API appears to be much simpler to implement than the BLE API. The ANT+ API already handles device discovery and decoding of data events from sensors into the useful data without even reading the Device Profile. You just request access to heart rate, cadence, etc, and then subscribe to the event handlers which pass the data to you decoded. The BLE API still requires a lot of work to do the decoding properly, handling characteristics, etc

ANT+ Plugin API - Supported from Android 2.1+
http://www.thisisant.com/APIassets/A...rtRatePcc.html

BLE - Officially integrated from Android 4.3+
http://developer.android.com/guide/t...etooth-le.html

Some Apps which include ANT+:
-Google My Tracks
-Endomondo
-Sportstracklive
-Garmin Fit™
-Run.GPS Trainer UV
-IpBike, IpWatts, IpPeloton, IpSmartHr
-Selfloops
-SportyPal
-MapMyFITNESS/RIDE/RUN/WALK+/HIKE/DOGWALK

Directory of Certified Devices
http://www.thisisant.com/directory
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OneCanuck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fuser1337
Old
Thanks Meter 234
How will it help us exactly?

Primary Device : Galaxy S4 (I9500) | Stock | Rooted

Secondary Devices : Nexus 4 (Stock, 4.4.4)

I Dare you press this button (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Please press the "Thanks" button on the bottom-left, if I ever helped you

OneCanuck
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuser1337 View Post
How will it help us exactly?
Right now its used mostly in sports and fitness although some of those device profiles they've implemented are branching into things like remote control like the O-synce bike handle bar remotes. They submitted patches for Apollo but the developer's busy with other features ATM.

dannyella
Old
Thanks Meter 317
sounds like bloat..
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyella For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

body150165
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyella View Post
sounds like bloat..
It depends on how you use your phone.

For fitness addicts like me, that is good news.

In general, there are different protocols to transfer the data from your heart rate belt. Most devices for home use like spinning use the ANT+ - protocol. Others use the Bluetooth 3.o 0r 4.0 protocol.

BT 4.0 LE (Low Energy = battery saving) is implemented to Android 4.3. I am guessing that it is the same with ANT+.

Benefit for Android-users: You can use your heart rate belt that you use with your home device also with your Android phone
The Following User Says Thank You to body150165 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

arindam_mitra1985
Old
Thanks Meter 84
I use ant to build my projects.. lol..

Sent from my GT-I9500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Press the Thanks Button if I have helped you.. it wont cost you anything..

changed the world...!!

paamet
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Great news! Any reference?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

Infy_AsiX
Old
Thanks Meter 56
it's an interesting move for Samsung to make. Considering they and their competitors are bringing out smart watches using bt4 and android 4.3 standardising bt4 api. It was starting to look like ant+ was going to lose the smartphone market. Perhaps they cut a deal with Samsung

blue6800user
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infy_AsiX View Post
it's an interesting move for Samsung to make. Considering they and their competitors are bringing out smart watches using bt4 and android 4.3 standardising bt4 api. It was starting to look like ant+ was going to lose the smartphone market. Perhaps they cut a deal with Samsung
Honestly, Ill believe Ant+ inclusion when it actually happens. BT4 smart has started to catch on with cycling manufacters, both Topeak (currently) and Wahoo (soon) will be able to use bt4 smart sensors soon. I saw a S4 at Interbike hooked up to a BT smart heartrate monitor and speed/cadence sensor.

This was big news to me, as for a long time without a dongle (super annoying) there was no way to use an Android phone with speed/cadence sensors or heartrate monitors, unless you had a sony.

If Ant+ doesnt pick up soon, its going to be left behind. Android including BT smart in 4.3 is going to change the field for newer phones.

I too would like to see some documentation/references about Ant+ inclusion.

-Bicycle Industry Professional

jorgenmk
Old
Thanks Meter 1
After flashing the 4.3 leak i noticed some ANT library packages in the 'installed packages' list.

I found the app "ANT+ Demo" from the app store and it is reading my ANT device! It's already working!

It is working with an ANT+ development kit i have here on my desk, haven't tried it with any official devices yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to jorgenmk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]