Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 41,594 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Type of Gorilla Glass on the Note 3

Tip us?

wiimonkey9
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default Type of Gorilla Glass on the Note 3

Has anyone been able to find anywhere what version of Gorilla glass is on the Note 3? I'm wondering if it is Gorilla Glass 3 or 4.
The Following User Says Thank You to wiimonkey9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sotiris20
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiimonkey9 View Post
Has anyone been able to find anywhere what version of Gorilla glass is on the Note 3? I'm wondering if it is Gorilla Glass 3 or 4.
I couldn't find any information regarding this!
I don't think there is Gorilla Glass 4 though... Just hoping that my Note 3 has at least GG 3, just to be safe!

||||||||||||||||[Be the change you want to see in the world]|||||||||||||||||

wiimonkey9
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotiris20 View Post
I couldn't find any information regarding this!
I don't think there is Gorilla Glass 4 though... Just hoping that my Note 3 has at least GG 3, just to be safe!

Yeah, looking at the reflectance measurements at displaymate, while they were good, they weren't the super-mega-amazing results that GG4 should of brought. However, I don't doubt whatsoever that it has anything less than GG3, especially since the S4 has it, and the Note 3 is better than the S4 in every way(not to mention it has the best display out of any phone ever).
The Following User Says Thank You to wiimonkey9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sotiris20
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiimonkey9 View Post
Yeah, looking at the reflectance measurements at displaymate, while they were good, they weren't the super-mega-amazing results that GG4 should of brought. However, I don't doubt whatsoever that it has anything less than GG3, especially since the S4 has it, and the Note 3 is better than the S4 in every way(not to mention it has the best display out of any phone ever).
I'm thinking the same thing mate!

Here are 2 websites mentioning that Note 3 comes with GG3. Now totaly official source, but what the heck!

Site 1

Site 2

P.S.

These are press releases before the anouncement of the device, but that is all i have for now mate!

||||||||||||||||[Be the change you want to see in the world]|||||||||||||||||

NewHampster
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default VZW says Note 3 has GG3

It's been bugging me that no mention is made of Gorilla Glass on Samsung or Corning. No carriers mention it but in the Verizon detailed specs they say Gorilla Glass 3.

I wonder if VZ is perhaps wrong as once upon a time I had read that Samsung was using a GG clone of some sort.

Paste from VZW site:

Specifications
Design
5.7” full HD Super AMOLED Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3 Touch Screen Display
Enhanced S–Pen
Dimensions
5.95” (H) x 3.12” (W) x .33” (D) inches
Weight: 5.93 oz.
Network
LTE, CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
Global Network: EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900), HSPA/UMTS(850/900/1900/2100)

Bolding is my doing.

The mystery continues.

ShadowLea
Old
(Last edited by ShadowLea; 17th October 2013 at 07:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 737
Corning Gorilla Glass 4 has an anti-reflection coating and an anti-fingerprint/grease coating.

Thus, the Note 3 has CGG3. Because I can count the individual reflected birds is the sky on the glass, once I clear off the fingerprints.

We know it has 3, because the S4 has CGG3, too. Samsung already told us we have the S4's screen.
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.

jtdc
Old
Thanks Meter 71
there was nothing official. everything is just inferred conclusion like:

1. S4 has GG3. Note3 is higher/better than S4. So it has the better, or at least same screen.
2. Samsung has stake or ownership in Corning. So its assumed they would have put at least Gorilla Glass on it.

corning site doesn't mention it (seen that news below was updated nov 4 2013)

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/p...orilla/samsung

Full device list doesn't have it. But maybe list isn't updated?

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/p...ducts-list-new
LG-D820 & ME571K on KTU84P
Sony D2005 on 4.3
A1395 on iOS 7.0.4 | A1432 on iOS 7.1.1

ItsMeOk
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Side note. I had to replace my day one Note 3 with a new just days ago and had the new one laying right next to the old one. With polarized sunglasses on the new one was darker when looking straight on and would then lighten to match the old one if I tilted my head. Normal with polarized glass. Its weird that it seems there was a change.

jamesindc
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdc View Post
there was nothing official. everything is just inferred conclusion like:

1. S4 has GG3. Note3 is higher/better than S4. So it has the better, or at least same screen.
2. Samsung has stake or ownership in Corning. So its assumed they would have put at least Gorilla Glass on it.

corning site doesn't mention it (seen that news below was updated nov 4 2013)

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/p...orilla/samsung

Full device list doesn't have it. But maybe list isn't updated?

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/p...ducts-list-new

I don't think you can assume the Note 3 has GG3 - simply because Samsung has been known to use parts from various suppliers according to their needs at the time. Also, if it was GG3, I'm sure Samsung Marketing would be touting that fact hard to sell these phones.

Xelphos
Old
(Last edited by Xelphos; 8th December 2013 at 11:04 AM.)
Thanks Meter 13
I do know that the Canadian model of the Note 3 has Gorilla Glass, but I do not know what version it is, and I don't know if the other models of the Note 3 have it.

EDIT: Before someone asks for proof, I talked to the product manager in the Canadian facility. Just call your nearest Samsung facility and pester for a product manager or someone who deals with the products.