[Q&A][i9505] Knox Q&A / Discussion Thread - ask questions here!
Seeing as the thread in the development section is being flooded with questions when its meant to be a development research thread and important info is getting lost amongst all the questions, I thought Id create a Q&A thread for all Knox bootloader 0x1 related questions so that we can try and keep the development thread just for research and testing.
Please feel free to ask any question here and i'll do my best to answer it but hopefully some of the other members who know a bit more will also join in and help answer some of the questions people have.
What we know so far (I think!)
1. Upgrading to newer Samsung firmware will upgrade the bootloader to knox bootloader. this will give an additional 2 lines in download mode about knox status.
2. If the Knox warranty void line says 0x1 then you cannot use knox softwareas your device has been flagged as insecure. By this i mean that if your workplace / company supports bring your own device to work for corporate emails etc and they use knox to keep security your device will not allow this. You are still able to use future samsung firmware releases with the knox flag 0x1. hope this makes sense. sorry for any confusion this has caused!
3. If the knox warranty line says 0x0 knox will work.
4. with the new knox bootloader root will work, however rooting with CFautorootwill trip the knox flag. thanks @DjeMBeY
for correcting this point
you can use the root method (Root de la Vega) described here
for rooting a device with knox bootloader.
5. If you try to downgrade to earlier firmware / bootloader it will set the knox flag to 0x1 i.e. void.
6. once the knox flag gets set to 0x1 there is no way to set it back (that anyone has found yet anyway!)
7. some newer 4.2.2 software that's supplied with the knox bootloader has been repacked by devs to not use the new bootloader and it all works fine you can still keep up to date.
I've seen people trying the test build of 4.3 touchwiz without the new knox bootloader sound and wifi does not work.
This is no longer the case, see point 12.
9. There seems to be a big question mark as to weather Samsung will allow hardware repairs under warranty with the knox 0x1 flag
10. only seems to affect GT-i9505 at the moment!
11. Software affected thanks to @DjeMBeY
Originally Posted by DjeMBeY
XXUDMGG was the first one....
The letters changed from XXUB... to XXUD...
XXUB... - BOOTLOADER KNOX FREE
XXUD... - NEW KNOX BOOTLOADER with 0x0 / 0x1
12. it is now possible to install custom 4.3 TW roms which have been modified to work without the new knox bootloader, do make sure that they are free from knox bootloader before flashing. Do note also that if you already have knox bootloader flashing anything even these 4.3 custom roms will
still trip your 0x1 flag
What knox bootloader looks like in download mode . In this picture Knox warranty is in tact as the flag is 0x0:
I hope this answers some questions, anyone feel free to correct me and i'll try to keep this OP updated with info as people supply it / discover it.
Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505
Goldeneye V40 (Android 4.4.2)
Google Nexus 7 (2013) Stock Rom with Qualcomm patch. 4.4.3
Retired / Sold: Asus TF201 & HTC Sensation
Sign up for Copy for 15GB of free lifetime space! use this link and get an extra 5GB bonus! Thats 20Gb for you!