Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,471 Members 42,057 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q&A][i9505] Knox Q&A / Discussion Thread - ask questions here!

Tip us?

Hawke84
Old
(Last edited by Hawke84; 30th June 2014 at 03:50 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1142
Default [Q&A][i9505] Knox Q&A / Discussion Thread - ask questions here!

Seeing as the thread in the development section is being flooded with questions when its meant to be a development research thread and important info is getting lost amongst all the questions, I thought Id create a Q&A thread for all Knox bootloader 0x1 related questions so that we can try and keep the development thread just for research and testing.

Please feel free to ask any question here and i'll do my best to answer it but hopefully some of the other members who know a bit more will also join in and help answer some of the questions people have.

What we know so far (I think!)

1. Upgrading to newer Samsung firmware will upgrade the bootloader to knox bootloader. this will give an additional 2 lines in download mode about knox status.

2. If the Knox warranty void line says 0x1 then you cannot use knox softwareas your device has been flagged as insecure. By this i mean that if your workplace / company supports bring your own device to work for corporate emails etc and they use knox to keep security your device will not allow this. You are still able to use future samsung firmware releases with the knox flag 0x1. hope this makes sense. sorry for any confusion this has caused!

3. If the knox warranty line says 0x0 knox will work.

4. with the new knox bootloader root will work, however rooting with CFautorootwill trip the knox flag. thanks @DjeMBeY for correcting this point you can use the root method (Root de la Vega) described here for rooting a device with knox bootloader.

5. If you try to downgrade to earlier firmware / bootloader it will set the knox flag to 0x1 i.e. void.

6. once the knox flag gets set to 0x1 there is no way to set it back (that anyone has found yet anyway!)

7. some newer 4.2.2 software that's supplied with the knox bootloader has been repacked by devs to not use the new bootloader and it all works fine you can still keep up to date.

8. I've seen people trying the test build of 4.3 touchwiz without the new knox bootloader sound and wifi does not work. This is no longer the case, see point 12.

9. There seems to be a big question mark as to weather Samsung will allow hardware repairs under warranty with the knox 0x1 flag

10. only seems to affect GT-i9505 at the moment!

11. Software affected thanks to @DjeMBeY
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjeMBeY View Post
XXUDMGG was the first one....
The letters changed from XXUB... to XXUD...
XXUB... - BOOTLOADER KNOX FREE
XXUD... - NEW KNOX BOOTLOADER with 0x0 / 0x1
12. it is now possible to install custom 4.3 TW roms which have been modified to work without the new knox bootloader, do make sure that they are free from knox bootloader before flashing. Do note also that if you already have knox bootloader flashing anything even these 4.3 custom roms will still trip your 0x1 flag

What knox bootloader looks like in download mode . In this picture Knox warranty is in tact as the flag is 0x0:

I hope this answers some questions, anyone feel free to correct me and i'll try to keep this OP updated with info as people supply it / discover it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m3qt.jpg
Views:	81499
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	2308067  
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505
Kernel: Talexop Kernel
Rom: Goldeneye V35 (Android 4.4.2)
Baseband: I9505XXUEMJ5
Tablet: Google Nexus 7 (2013) Stock Rom with Qualcomm patch. 4.4.3
Retired / Sold: Asus TF201 & HTC Sensation

Sign up for Copy for 15GB of free lifetime space! use this link and get an extra 5GB bonus! Thats 20Gb for you!
The Following 89 Users Say Thank You to Hawke84 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kantjer
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 10439

DONATE TO ME
Nice initiative mate.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
Samsung Galaxy S4 | GT-I9505
Rom: SlimSaberKat 4.4.4
GApps: Slim mini gapps 4.4.4 build 7.x-205
Kernel: Alucard - settings
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0 (KK) | Theme: Black
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kantjer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lolo9393
Old
Thanks Meter 95
good idea,

This thread Must be splitted because of several models that can be concerned in different aspect. ( I9505 or 9500 and others)
this would avoid misunderstanding or wrong rules to be spread over.
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to lolo9393 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

r.spanish
Old
(Last edited by r.spanish; 5th October 2013 at 03:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Its quite obvious that Samsung are not only trying to control the software we use on our device but also how we obtain it.

I dont see many posts about binary counter recently, because now theres a bigger wall that has been put up.

So you cant even check to see if there has been custom software on your device, because doing so would require root which will trigger the knox crap, permanently.

Its that permanently which i have a problem with, and one i believe Samsung will use to reject a warranty claim in future based on that.

They want OTA and Kies naturally. I mean going back to an older official release bootloader via odin break knox? What the hell Samsung.

The saying you cant have your cake and eat it too applies here. I do read some people of the opinion that its my device and i can do anything i want with it, and Samsung you must now fix it when it breaks.

Anything, really? No, and this is the problem, because running custom software gives you the ability to do this. Not because you did, but because you could have and they probably dont have the resources to prove it with every single warranty claim.

So where does that leave the rest of us? In the same boat because they now have a way to prove you did something naughty, theyre not quite sure what it is except knox warranty void 0x1 (maybe).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r.spanish For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ace_of_spades021
Old
Thanks Meter 7
hi...
I have mh8 btu firmware and Then I root it with CF-Auto root and my knox warranty is 0x1...
my question is: Can I install new official frimware that released from sammobile or samsung-update????

iamflamez
Old
(Last edited by iamflamez; 5th October 2013 at 05:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 40
I just got my new s4 20 mins ago, I've switched it on and it has 4.2.2 MH8 can i use a repacked 4.2.2?

If I cant get root the phone is useless to me as i need to run it in my car with the pioneer appradio arliberator software.
Looking at my Sony it's about that time for SW2 to drop a jam on mine

malybru
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 10745

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_of_spades021 View Post
hi...
I have mh8 btu firmware and Then I root it with CF-Auto root and my knox warranty is 0x1...
my question is: Can I install new official frimware that released from sammobile or samsung-update????

Hi,

The new "Official" firmware is not yet available.
Please let us know if you can update.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malybru For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

malybru
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 10745

DONATE TO ME
Hi,

BTW, if anyone is interested what the KNOX thing is all about,check THIS

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to malybru For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

paras
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Does Knox make a person's phone non rootable

Sent from my GT-I9500
Sony Xperia Z2 Stock 4.4.2

Nexus 5 Stock 4.4.2

Htc One M7 Android Revolution HD 62.0 Kitkat 4.4.2 Sixth Sense

ace_of_spades021
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by malybru View Post
Hi,

The new "Official" firmware is not yet available.
Please let us know if you can update.

thx for reply...

but if I can't upgrade my phone I perefer to sell it as soon as possible!!!!

how can I know that?

Tags
0x0, 0x1, bootloader, carrot cake, knox