5,597,138 Members 45,187 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM][FLO][12/13/13] PureROM - AOSP 4.4.2 (KOT49H) / Build Guide

Tip us?

scrosler
Old
(Last edited by scrosler; 13th December 2013 at 06:36 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 47253

DONATE TO ME
Default [ROM][FLO][12/13/13] PureROM - AOSP 4.4.2 (KOT49H) / Build Guide

This was just an AOSP ROM thread

However, It morphed it to a general Q/A Dev thread. If you wish to ask for help getting set up for first time feel free. I am not an expert but there are a lot of helpful people out there, like JakDillard, who are willing to help and give advice in areas that I cannot. I have created a simple build guide for Ubuntu 13.10 in post #2. Please feel free to contribute to the guide.

Quote:
Quote:
Important Notes:
  • This thread is more about building ROMS than using them.
  • This does not have any Google specific features such as the Google launcher! It's AOSP!
  • Anyone can download the ROM and use it, I encourage experimentation!
  • If you are not developer then your feedback about Android 4.4 should be posted in a General threads! However anyone can report bugs in this thread!
  • Please do not ask for features. This is not a "typical" ROM thread. Its an AOSP Development thread. If you just want to use the ROM then great. If you want to help with the development then even BETTER!!!
This is a PURE AOSP ROM with no mods or enhancements. This is NOT CleanROM!

Build Info
  • Build: KOT49H
  • Build Verision: 4.4.2
  • Build date: 12/13/2013
  • MD5: B3033CF3753DE1600A52CD671AE2800B

Changes - 12/13/2013
  • Updated to 4.4.2 KOT49H

Extra Downloads
  • PA Gapps HERE!
  • The ROM comes with ADB level root. You can get the full SuperSU form HERE!

Download ROM HERE!
The Following 149 Users Say Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scrosler
Old
(Last edited by scrosler; 13th December 2013 at 04:06 AM.)
Thanks Meter 47253

DONATE TO ME
Ubuntu 13.10 Set up and Build Guide

Updated 10/30/2013

This is a work in progress and will be ever evolving! If you find mistakes or think you can make it easier please post your suggestions in the thread!

Feel free to ask any questions about the build process. Do not ask questions about Ubuntu!

This guide assumes the following
  1. Have Ubuntu 13.10 setup, fully operation, and up to date. Hard Machine or Virtual, makes no difference. Must meet the minimum specs for compiling. Info from Google HERE
  2. Understand terminal command line entry as this is all command line processors.
  3. You are not here to ask for help with Linux, only the Android build process!

My Build Machine is...
  • Xeon X5550 CPU (4 cores / 8 Logical CPU's)
  • 16 Gigs of RAM (Way overkill)
  • 120 Gig SSD
  • Low End ATI Video Card
  • Gigabit Lan

Add Java
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install oracle-java6-installer
java -version

Add Build tools (Adds the required packages at the time of this posting)
Code:
sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl zlib1g-dev zlib1g-dev:i386 libc6-dev lib32ncurses5-dev lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0 x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 lib32z1-dev libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 tofrodos python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc readline-common libreadline6-dev libreadline6 lib32readline-gplv2-dev libncurses5-dev lib32readline5 lib32readline6 libreadline-dev libreadline6-dev:i386 libreadline6:i386 bzip2 libbz2-dev libbz2-1.0 libghc-bzlib-dev lib32bz2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev squashfs-tools pngcrush schedtool libwxgtk2.8-dev python 

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so

Add Repo command (Syncs Google Repository with your local machine)
Code:
mkdir ~/bin && curl http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > ~/bin/repo && chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

Add bin folder to path for repo command (After you do this close Terminal and re-open to institute changes (easy way))
Code:
sudo gedit .bashrc
export PATH=~/bin:$PATH <-(add to end of bashrc)
Identify Yourself to the Repo (One day you may make commits so think about that when choosing your info!)
Code:
git config --global user.email "you@youremail.com"
git config --global user.name "yourpreferredusername"
Synch Repo (Download source... Sit back and grab a pop and a sandwich...)
Code:
mkdir ~/AOSP
cd ~/AOSP
repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest -b android-4.4.2_r1
repo sync
Note: I use AOSP as my directory name. You can use what you want. You could use "aosp" or "Source" or "android" or "whateveryoulike"

Install proprietary binaries (Needed for things like GPS and Bluetooth, they are not Open Source like android) (Install proprietary binaries from here in the root of AOSP folder (or whatever you called yours))

Run envsetup.sh
Code:
source build/envsetup.sh
Choose Device
Code:
lunch
Build it!
Code:
make -j12 otapackage

See Build Notes and ramblings from me in post #3!
The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scrosler
Old
(Last edited by scrosler; 19th October 2013 at 06:50 AM.)
Thanks Meter 47253

DONATE TO ME
Notes
  • The ROM build will be a PURE AOSP ROM with no Gapps at all. I made package you can use in post #1. I'm sure you can use others as well...
  • The ROM will also have terminal level SU. So becareful! In other words its fully rooted and could be open to vulnerabilities. Flash your favorite Superuser Package if you need it. I dont. I recomend SuperSU by Chainfire HERE. Download the flashable zip and flash after you flash ROM.
  • make -j12 is the number of worker threads that the make command will use to build. To me 12 is a safe number for an i5 processors. That would be 3 threads per logical processor (i5 has 4 logical processors). I personally run make -j24 because that is 3 threads per logical processor in my machine. If your building on a machine with less logical CPU's then you may want to cut back (like the i5 for example). If your running any i7 processor or Xeon processor with 8 logical CPU's so 24 should be good. Otherwise adjust as needed. If your running on an AMD the math is the same. I cant name any AMD chips so you need to know that before you issue the command!
  • Google recommends between -j24 and -j32. Keep in mind the higher you push the more load the CPU will undertake. If your O/C'ing real hard you better have some nice cooling! I had to cut back OC on my 4770k from 4.65 to 4.4 with a Corsair H60 cooler just so it wouldn't over heat. When in doubt start low. My Xeon system is stock clocked at 2.66 (3.06 Turbo) and runs warm compared to idle but not at all hot. But that is the point of a Xeon, cooler running for servers.
  • My machine with those specs take about 40 minutes to build the entire ROM.
  • With a 50 Meg download link it took maybe 30 to 45 minutes to sync the repo.
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mpmilestogo
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindrocket View Post
Right on Scott! Can't wait to give it a spin.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Security settings crashes says"unfortunately settings has stopped" .
I think its the same error some other folks are facing. Rascarlo and a few others would release their AOSP builds but it appears this blocks them from releasing. Read this over on a few pages on a few ROMs in this neighborhood.

scrosler
Old
Thanks Meter 47253

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoamanwtf View Post
I have faith in you making it work :P
Can anyone post a snippet of logcat during the crash? Particular the actually error itself.

Place it in the [CODE] box if you can.

If not I get out of work in a few hours and can look then...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scrosler
Old
Thanks Meter 47253

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwhirly View Post
Nice to see you venturing into new projects. Most people start with CM since its not to hard to compile, but you did it the opposite way which will make all the difference in the end

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
IMHO: If you dont start with the basics you will end in a mess
The Following User Says Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rocksyjj
Old
Thanks Meter 26
got to try this as your clean rom works well iam sure this one will be great also
keep up the great work to you and who helps you.

Where would i start to try baking my own cake .. i use archlinux what programs needed to do a build
The Following User Says Thank You to rocksyjj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scrosler
Old
(Last edited by scrosler; 8th October 2013 at 07:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 47253

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksyjj View Post
got to try this as your clean rom works well iam sure this one will be great also
keep up the great work to you and who helps you.

Where would i start to try baking my own cake .. i use archlinux what programs needed to do a build
Never used archlinux but I used Ubunutu 13.04

Here is where I started: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2224142

(I hate nano so used gedit of course. )

But at the last two shell commands i didint use the AOKP tree I used the AOSP base so you want to look here for that: http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html

Then follow the instructions from that page on forward until you have yourself a ROM

Also pay attention to the blurb about proprietary binaries

Quote:
Obtaining proprietary binaries

The Android Open-Source Project can't be used from pure source code only, and requires additional hardware-related proprietary libraries to run, specifically for hardware graphics acceleration.
Official binaries for the supported devices can be downloaded from Google's Nexus driver page, which add access to additional hardware capabilities with non-Open-Source code.
When building the master branch for a device, the binaries for the most recent numbered release or with the most recent date are the ones that should be used.
There is a link for the Nexus binaries in that blurb. Make sure you install them before building and you are good.
The Following User Says Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scrosler
Old
Thanks Meter 47253

DONATE TO ME
Alright then...

Build 20131008.010041 up!

Changes
  • Re-synced repo for 2013/10/08
  • Fixed Settings -> Security F/C
  • Changed SU to SuperSU

Also can I have some people rate the thread 5 stars... The Nexus 7 FHD troll is at it again. He is going around rating my threads, and others, 1 star.

Any help with that would be appreciated. Damn trolls, lol!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ktkr
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
Alright then...

Build 20131008.010041 up!

Changes
  • Re-synced repo for 2013/10/08
  • Fixed Settings -> Security F/C
  • Changed SU to SuperSU

Also can I have some people rate the thread 5 stars... The Nexus 7 FHD troll is at it again. He is going around rating my threads, and others, 1 star.

Any help with that would be appreciated. Damn trolls, lol!
You fixed the security settings fc! Mind sharing how you managed to fix that?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

The Following User Says Thank You to ktkr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]