LG G2 and the LAG/STUTTERING issue

OP Noam23

8th October 2013, 10:54 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 127

732 posts
I'm trying to get to the bottom of this issue, since there are many reports, yet we don't have a dedicated thread to try and understand what is the cause.

So, as far as I understand, when you first get the device, before you install anything, it runs smoothly like an HTC ONE, no matter how fast or how long you're using it. There are numerous reviews of the LG G2 to back this up.

As far as I understand, things begin to deteriorate when you start to install more apps and widgets. And eventually after you've install enough apps and widgets, the device becomes laggy like the average Samsung device (and not like the HTC ONE). I've read reports from people who said that at some situations (when the device is loaded with apps/widgets) when they press the "HOME" button, it takes the LG G2 5 full seconds to re-draw the home screen. This is unacceptable even with my 2.5 years old Galaxy S2, not to mention with a 2.3Ghz flagship quad core device.

What I'm trying to understand is:

1. Is it more apps, or more widgets, which cause the problem ?
2. Is it a problem of memory management ? how come the HTC ONE (which also has 2GB RAM) doesn't lag or stutter at all?. It does seem to be a memory management problem, because before you install apps/widgets on the LG G2, it runs 100% smoothly.
3. Is this a problem with the stock launcher only ? meaning, if you are one of those people whose LG G2 started to stutter because you've installed too many apps/widgets, does installing a third party launcher (like Nova, etc.) immediately solve the problem ?
Last edited by Noam23; 8th October 2013 at 11:06 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Noam23 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th October 2013, 11:03 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 70

524 posts
More
Damn, how many apps have u installed? I have 200++ apps and my homescreen has tons of widgets and my phone is as fast as the first time i got it

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda app-developers app
8th October 2013, 11:08 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

732 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrin313

Damn, how many apps have u installed? I have 200++ apps and my homescreen has tons of widgets and my phone is as fast as the first time i got it

Are you using the stock launcher ?

Is it completely lag-free as the first day you received it before you installed apps ?
8th October 2013, 11:15 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 148

675 posts
More
Haven't heard this issue mentioned before on the LG G2.

I have had the phone 2 weeks, 100+ apps, stock launcher (albeit only 3 screen filled), about 5 widgets loaded.

No lag at all, fastest smoothest Android I've ever used.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andrawer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th October 2013, 11:21 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 2

15 posts
did you root or install a third party launcher? some apps (usually slide from swiping fingers from left or right side) are not quite compatible with nova launcher and can cause lag. it would be nice if you could post the screen of running apps / cached apps
8th October 2013, 11:32 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

732 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrawer

Haven't heard this issue mentioned before on the LG G2.

I have had the phone 2 weeks, 100+ apps, stock launcher (albeit only 3 screen filled), about 5 widgets loaded.

No lag at all, fastest smoothest Android I've ever used.

Ok, then maybe it's a problem with using more than 3 screens at the stock launcher ?
8th October 2013, 11:33 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

732 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallgreenbear

did you root or install a third party launcher? some apps (usually slide from swiping fingers from left or right side) are not quite compatible with nova launcher and can cause lag. it would be nice if you could post the screen of running apps / cached apps

I don't have the device yet. I'm just trying o figure it out because it's a common problem.
8th October 2013, 11:34 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 70

524 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam23

Are you using the stock launcher ?

Is it completely lag-free as the first day you received it before you installed apps ?

Yes, im on the stock launcher.. And definitely lag free... Bought the phone 3 weeks ago

The Following User Says Thank You to nazrin313 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th October 2013, 11:44 AM   |  #9  
Flag Central NJ
Thanks Meter: 2,752

8,110 posts
More
ok, are you talking about the launcher redraw lag stutter issue? if so, it's not the phone, and it's now how many widgets and screens you have.(i had 3 widgets split between only 3 screens..) . it's that the stock launcher just redraws all the time and it stutters when you try to switch screens as its redrawing.

solution, try another launcher until we get a fix to lock launcher in memory. v6 supercharger has this option, but it doesn't work. believe me, I spent hours one night setting up v6 for bulletproof launcher and it still redraws.

I've had the phone since launch day on Verizon, and I don't have any lag or stutter besides the stock launcher stutter, but I've been using nova now, so i literally have no lag whatsoever.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4
8th October 2013, 11:48 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 32

161 posts
Never had this problem. Using stock launcher or the Themer launcher. I would love to see a video of this actually happening.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread