Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,858 Members 36,618 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to root your Samsung Galaxy Gear!

Tip us?

photonicgeek
Old
(Last edited by photonicgeek; 21st October 2013 at 10:28 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 153

DONATE TO ME
Prompt How to root your Samsung Galaxy Gear!

How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Gear:

Firstly:
I AM IN NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM, RESPONSIBLE FOR THE OUTCOME OF YOU FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS! IT WORKED FOR ME, BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT, WORK FOR YOU!

Root Guide:
Preparation:
1. Install Samsung's official ADB Drivers from here.

2. Get Cydia Impactor from here.

3. Go to your Gear's settings and enable ADB
To Root:
1. Plug in the device and let it install all the drivers it needs.

2.Unzip the Cydia Impactor folder you just downloaded

3. Open Impactor from the folder you just unzipped

4. The default "# drop SuperSU su to /system/xbin/su" is what you need

5. Click start

6. Once the process completes, the device will still look normal, but is fully rooted!
I will have to leave it to you guys to install a utility like SuperSU or Superuser until there is a functioning recovery for the Gear.
Though this isn't necessary, however, and in some most cases doesn't work! SuperSU or Superuser just manage what apps access the SU command, so if you trust the app, it should be ok!

Enjoy your newly rooted device!

How to restore back to stock:
Preparation:
1. Get Odin 3.07 from here.

2. Find the proper .md5 file from here.
(If you are in the US, just select the Great Britain file.)

3. Install Samsung ADB drivers from here.
To Restore:
1. Plug in the Gear

2.From being powered on, (Bootable or not) press and hold the button of the right until the Gear shows "Samsung Galaxy Gear Rebooting" and rapidly press the button until you get to the "Select REBOOT MODE" screen.

3. Highlight "Download" in the list by pressing the button to scroll.

4. Press and hold the button for 3 seconds (and let go! The screen won't change immediately) and let it boot into download mode.

5. Unzip the .zip file you just downloaded that contains the ROM itself.

6. Select the PDA button and open the .MD5 file in the folder you just unzipped.

7. DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING ELSE!!!

8. Click the start button, and you'll be back to stock within a couple of minutes! (Most likely with any data on /data kept and all sideloaded apps remaining.)
Any questions? Ask below! Want to help me make a ROM or Recovery? PM me!
The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to photonicgeek For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BUS DR1V3R
Old
(Last edited by BUS DR1V3R; 12th October 2013 at 02:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 21
I tried this on OSX and now have a device that won't connect via USB anymore, even after factory reset! Proceed with caution.

EDIT : The device would still connect to adb in 64-bit Ubuntu, and and after re-running the application I have a rooted device. Busybox has been installed and all seems to be working well now.
The Following User Says Thank You to BUS DR1V3R For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

photonicgeek
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 153

DONATE TO ME
Default Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUS DR1V3R View Post
I tried this on OSX and now have a device that won't connect via USB anymore, even after factory reset! Proceed with caution.

EDIT : The device would still connect to adb in 64-bit Ubuntu, and and after re-running the application I have a rooted device. Busybox has been installed and all seems to be working well now.
I had issues with impactor crashing on my Mac, so i ran it on Windows instead as well!

BUS DR1V3R
Old
(Last edited by BUS DR1V3R; 13th October 2013 at 08:50 AM.)
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by photonicgeek View Post
I had issues with impactor crashing on my Mac, so i ran it on Windows instead as well!
I'm actually not sure what's going on with this thing now. Busybox said the device was rooted, and it installed, but I can't seem to run any commands that require root.

Are you running Superuser or SuperSU, and what version?

jadaress1
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Does this mean i will be able to use this with my HTC one? Im a newbie when it comes to this but id love to buy this watch to use with my stock 4.2 HTC One. Thanks.

Sent from ...............

big_pongo
Old
Thanks Meter 61

DONATE TO ME
Great news!

About 'UNROOT'? ... any idea? Or we just flash official rom back to GEAR?

trevor7428
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pongo View Post
Great news!

About 'UNROOT'? ... any idea? Or we just flash official rom back to GEAR?
Haven't rooted mine yet. But seems like the unroot feature in supersu should work

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

This is great news! Thank you sir for creating an account. Just to share ur find. Who knows this might even make it to XDA wall on home page! But I do have to ask, how did you know Cydia Impactor would do the trick?

photonicgeek
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 153

DONATE TO ME
Storage To answer some questions...

Ok, Firstly, mounting the gear should never have been possible... I know I have tried!

The entire process of rooting a device is simply getting the file "su" into /system/bin/ but the trick is getting it in there without root privileges! The truth is SuperSU or Superuser aren't ACTUALLY needed, they actually just regulate how apps access the "su" command.

To use the gear with any watch would require a new ROM which I know NOTHING about, but I am looking into modding the first one. (I recommend setting the screen DPI to 100)

And to answer @trevor7428 , I am an iPhone and Android user, and I do a lot of research into how exploits work. Saurik who does a lot of iPhone security research, mentioned the "Master Key" ("Hack 99% of Android devices") exploit, how to exploit it (Where impactor came from!), and also how to fix it. Thus, I thought that the worst that would happen is that it would fail!

BUS DR1V3R
Old
(Last edited by BUS DR1V3R; 13th October 2013 at 11:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by photonicgeek View Post
Ok, Firstly, mounting the gear should never have been possible... I know I have tried!

The entire process of rooting a device is simply getting the file "su" into /system/bin/ but the trick is getting it in there without root privileges! The truth is SuperSU or Superuser aren't ACTUALLY needed, they actually just regulate how apps access the "su" command.

To use the gear with any watch would require a new ROM which I know NOTHING about, but I am looking into modding the first one. (I recommend setting the screen DPI to 100)

And to answer @trevor7428 , I am an iPhone and Android user, and I do a lot of research into how exploits work. Saurik who does a lot of iPhone security research, mentioned the "Master Key" ("Hack 99% of Android devices") exploit, how to exploit it (Where impactor came from!), and also how to fix it. Thus, I thought that the worst that would happen is that it would fail!
After typing that about mounting the gear I immediately questioned whether that ever worked.

That being said, I have the su file in system/bin and system/xbin/, but anytime I try to run something that requires root it says "must be suid to work properly". After trying to find a fix for that for a few hours without luck I've run out of ideas.

Better yet, why not make a backup of the rooted rom that can be flashed via Odin now that download mode is more accessible?

billymaloney3
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Someone please sticky this so its easy to find

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app
Phones: HTC One, Galaxy Nexus, Kyocera Hydro, Droid 1
[COLOR="rgb(153, 50, 204)"]Tablets: [/COLOR]Motorola Xoom, Nexus 7
[COLOR="rgb(153, 50, 204)"]SmartWatches: [/COLOR]Galaxy Gear, WIMM One