Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,452 Members 42,354 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ANSWERS] All the answers

Tip us?

XpLoDWilD
Old
(Last edited by XpLoDWilD; 13th October 2013 at 06:34 AM.)
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 14297

DONATE TO ME
Default [ANSWERS] All the answers

Hey there,
xplodwild here, I did the announcement session at BABBQ, it was awesome. Thanks for everyone who were there.

So yeah, we didn't prepare a lot of YouTube demo videos yet, but all the information about the philosophy of Omni are available on Omni website: http://omnirom.org/why-omni/.

We are a ROM different than others: we are focused on performance, cohesion, stability, innovation, code quality, community and open source. And the community more than anything else. You are using the ROM, you should be choosing what you want to have.

When we're taking a patch from another ROM, we're trying as much as possible to enhance it before merging it. When we're getting new features, we give you a way to give early feedback, early access to prototypes, early access to mockups, etc, so that we know immediately early on if we're doing it right.
All the contributions will be GPL licensed (at least we'll be pushing for it). People will be able to vote up and down on patches,

Some of the key features of Omni:
  • Flippable Quick Settings
  • Roadrunner mode
  • Multi-window(!)
  • Daydream enhancements
  • Integrated Performance Control
  • Multi-workspace
  • Color-changeable, 3D depth Phase Beam
  • And a bunch more

We're also pushing non-Android stuff, such as OmniInstaller (an all-in-one, multi-platform, open source, installer that anyone can plug in), as well as a Qt library to give Qt Android apps a native Android look, and have gorgeous and super-fast Android apps. We're helping users, and helping developers.

Everything is free, free as in money, and free as in liberty. And transparent.

Edit #1: Regarding device support, we currently support all the Nexus devices, as well as the Oppo Find 5, Xperia Z, Xperia Tablet Z. We have preliminary support for the i9300 as well as the Oppo R819.

Edit #2: We'll have a bunch of developer resouces up soon, giving a head start to newcomers in the Android development world.

I probably didn't cover much things but I'll add more things as they come to my mind. We're having beers here and I'm probably not fully able to do a comprehensive post right now.
_ Omni developer - Android - Check my twitter for the latest updates!
______
<codeworkx> YIPIJAHEY SCHWEINEBACKE

• Samsung Galaxy S II i9100, Galaxy Note N-7000, Galaxy S III i9300 • Asus TF300T, TF700T • Sony Xperia T (mint) • LG Nexus 4, Nexus 5 • Oppo Find 5, N1 •
and other devices you've never heard of.
______
Press "Thanks" if I helped !
The Following 298 Users Say Thank You to XpLoDWilD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

XpLoDWilD
Old
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 14297

DONATE TO ME
Have some screenshots:

_ Omni developer - Android - Check my twitter for the latest updates!
______
<codeworkx> YIPIJAHEY SCHWEINEBACKE

• Samsung Galaxy S II i9100, Galaxy Note N-7000, Galaxy S III i9300 • Asus TF300T, TF700T • Sony Xperia T (mint) • LG Nexus 4, Nexus 5 • Oppo Find 5, N1 •
and other devices you've never heard of.
______
Press "Thanks" if I helped !
The Following 122 Users Say Thank You to XpLoDWilD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sakindia123
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9164
NIce! Does that "multiwindow" works flawlessly?without breaking apps?
Asus Nexus 7(2012): AOSP Kitkat(Android 4.4) @1.5 Ghz
Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 : CyanogenMod 10.2 (Android 4.3)
HTC Explorer A310e : CyanogenMod 10.2(Android 4.3) @878 Mhz PLL2 Overclock
Sony Xperia E Dual : Stock rom (android 4.1.1)
Karbonn Smart A25 : Stock rom (android 4.0.4)
Samsung Galaxy SL GT-i9003 (retired)

chasmodo
Old
Thanks Meter 39228

DONATE TO ME
I'm overjoyed to see you guys bounce back after the Inc debacle.

Looking forward to compiling, testing and enjoying Omni.
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to chasmodo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SGWUser
Old
Thanks Meter 337
Are you guys going to kang features from other ROMs (Halo and Pie from PA for example) or will all features be developed in-house?

Also, on which Android-version are the first builds based? I guess 4.3.1?

Since the annoucement of Cyanogen to be a corporation, I was searching for a new AOSP-based ROM for my daily needs, and I think I found it. Good luck guys!
Nexus 5 "hammerhead"

ROM: AOSPA + L Preview
Recovery: TWRP
Kernel: franco.Kernel
Mods: Xposed + MultiROM

Galaxy W "ancora"

ROM: CM11
Recovery: CWM
Kernel: Stock
Mods: -

Other devices // Links

first-gen Nexus 7 32GB "grouper" (sold)
Google+: http://goo.gl/miOCRs
Twitter: http://goo.gl/1u5c4U
Reddit: http://goo.gl/lY7JIh
The Following User Says Thank You to SGWUser For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Brute.Force
Old
Thanks Meter 284
I m dying to try this rom.
Would it be possible to port it using cyanogenmod or aosp as base?

AA1973
Old
(Last edited by AA1973; 13th October 2013 at 10:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 8593
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmodo View Post
I'm overjoyed to see you guys bounce back after the Inc debacle.

Looking forward to compiling, testing and enjoying Omni.
Me, two©. Joli coup @XpLoDWilD @Entropy512 and everyone else involved, wishing you all the best with Omni. Nice to see espenfjo back on track as well.

#free^3
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AA1973 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ashutos1997
Old
(Last edited by Ashutos1997; 13th October 2013 at 07:53 AM.)
Thanks Meter 608
They say all nexuses are supported , then where is galaxy nexus support huh ? If there will be not official support , how can I develop a unofficial version of OMNIr for gnex ?
Check my other posts at http://www.ugeeky.com or at
http://www.betech.in
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashutos1997 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pulser_g2
Old
Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 10690
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakindia123 View Post
NIce! Does that "multiwindow" works flawlessly?without breaking apps?
It will do pretty much. We'll get sources up very very soon (ie. minutes), and gerrit is already live where you can see the MultiWindow patch being reviewed and improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGWUser View Post
Are you guys going to kang features from other ROMs (Halo and Pie from PA for example) or will all features be developed in-house?

Also, on which Android-version are the first builds based? I guess 4.3.1?

Since the annoucement of Cyanogen to be a corporation, I was searching for a new AOSP-based ROM for my daily needs, and I think I found it. Good luck guys!
In the spirit of open source, if there's something that gives positive improvement on the user experience, and it can be introduced, and people want it, it will be included. There's a balance between "settings inception" (ie. a toggle for your toggle, to toggle text alignment of the clock) and something that isn't customisable, but that will be open to much wider discussion and consultation.

4.3.1 is the current version in use, yes.

Halo and Pie are 2 specific examples, but this is where the community comes in - porting these features should be fairly straightforward. We like to try improve things too where possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAddiction View Post
I m dying to try this rom.
Would it be possible to port it using cyanogenmod or aosp as base?
The ROM is based on AOSP, and full sources will be posted today, meaning you can try to build it for yourself. Be aware though, not all chipsets are currently supported - nexus devices will have more luck than other devices for now, but that will obviously change in the coming days and weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutos1997 View Post
They say all nexuses are supported , then where is galaxy nexus support huh ?
I don't believe anyone has one here for testing, hence it has not been listed yet. it WILL be supported, but until it's been tested, it won't go onto the list

Having trouble getting an answer? | What is XDA about? | How to ask for help?

if [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.how_to_use ] || [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.silly_question ]; then mv $PM.incoming /.trash; PM.response($responsetype.ignore); $PM.sender.ignore_in_future=true; init.sequence($boy_who_cried_wolf); fi;

BTC: 1K2fpDsRHkirWmk3PKiqtzhVHKUJCWPWnN
PGP: 0x260F4FDEF258E3C4
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to pulser_g2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

slick_rick
Old
(Last edited by slick_rick; 13th October 2013 at 08:20 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6201

DONATE TO ME
Have the additional selinux commits CM started picking a few months ago been picked here also? If so, would make getting a build up for the Sprint and Verizon GNote 2 much easier Now it's just a waiting game for source to drop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
I don't answer rom support questions through PM! You will be ignored! Post your question in the relevant thread instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to slick_rick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]