Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[APP][Android 2.1+] Ray Sidebar Launcher 1.2.1 | 12.Nov.2013 | the best multitasking

OP ra3al

13th October 2013, 12:59 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 4,799

326 posts
Donate to Me
[Android 2.1+] Ray Sidebar Launcher

Stylish and extremely easy to use, Ray lets you access and multitask between your favorite apps and from anywhere by simply swiping your finger from the edge of the screen. Ray and its premium version (Ray Pro) have clean minimalistic design and all the functionalities you need to customize your tailor-made, fast and hassle-free multitasking sidebar.

Features include:
- Add your favorite apps and shortcuts
- Add "actions" such as: app drawer, toggle Wi-Fi, toggle mobile data, screen brightness, etc.
- Organize your items (apps, shortcuts and actions) in folders*
- Easily rearrange items and remove unwanted ones
- Option to remain open after launching apps and shortcuts - for even faster multi-tasking
- Many others

*The free version of Ray is limited to 8 items or 7 items + 1 folder with up to 8 additional items in the folder

Ray Pro additional features:
- No advertising button (“Free apps”)
- Unlimited number of apps, shortcuts, actions and folders
- Choose between left or right sidebar alignment
- Adjust the text size and color of the item labels
- Add “Running apps” action with task management functionality (kill unwanted apps)
- Icon pack support (load app icons from ADW, Apex, Nova and some Go Launcher themes and icon packs)
- Unread counts for: missed calls, unread SMS and emails as well as any app that displays notifications, including: WhatsApp, Facebook, Skype, Viber, etc.

Ray on Google Play Store

Ray Pro on Google Play Store

Follow my future projects: here
Attached Files
File Type: apk Ray_1.0.0.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.39 MB, 1805 views)
File Type: apk Ray_1.1.0.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.43 MB, 2229 views)
File Type: apk Ray_1.2.0.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.63 MB, 888 views)
File Type: apk Ray_1.2.1.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.63 MB, 12091 views)
Last edited by ra3al; 12th November 2013 at 11:42 PM.
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to ra3al For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th October 2013, 01:00 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sofia

326 posts
Donate to Me
Prompt
Change log:
Code:
1.2.1 (12.Nov.2013):
- Added: links to an extensive online tutorial and FAQ under Settings -> Help
- Fixed: Changes after renaming folders or selecting custom icons do not show up immediately
- Fixed (Ray Pro only): The short general tutorial tells the user to swipe from the left edge of the screen, even if sidebar position is set to Right

1.2.0 (10.Nov.2013):
- Revamped Edit mode interface for removing/arranging items and renaming folders
- Edit mode performance optimizations
- Added (Ray Pro only): user selectable icons for apps, shortcuts, actions
- Reorganized settings
- Improved tutorials
- Fixed (Android 2.1 to 4.0): Pressing the Home button does nothing when the sidebar is open
- Fixed (Android 2.X): Bad sidebar size after folder rename
- Fixed (Android 2.X): Swipe area not visualized properly
- Compiled with Android 4.4 KitKat SDK
- Stability improvements

1.1.1 (20.Oct.2013):
- Fixed: Problems with swipe area height on Aquos Phone Serie SHL22 and other devices.

1.1.0 (17.Oct.2013):
- Added: option to automatically close the sidebar after a specified time of inactivity
- Added: user selectable folder icon backgrounds (circle, rounded rectangle, rectangle and custom)
- Fixed: unable to change sidebar background color while in landscape mode
- Fixed: flashlight not working on Nexus 10 and other devices
- Fixed: Android 4.3+ only: Tapping on notification not opening app settings
- Changed: icon margins now depend on the selected sidebar width
- Changed: smaller minimum for sidebar width

1.0.0 (12.Oct.2013):
Initial release
Last edited by ra3al; 12th November 2013 at 11:43 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ra3al For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th October 2013, 04:06 PM   |  #4  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 1,328

1,855 posts
Donate to Me
More
Very nice app first of all I will give you my personal input from a consumers view. Overall it's a really nice app with a few features the other sidebars lack as in custom icon packs ability along with the ability to rearrange, those are awesome abilities! Where it's lacking is the ability to see running apps indicater and the ability to close them by swiping them away as the others offer, once this feature is added I believe this puts this sidebar in the front runners position. A main feature they all lack because of 4.3 I might add is the ability to hide the app notification from the notification panel. I understand that it needs to be there so the launcher doesn't close the app but there has to be a way to hide that without closing the app. I remove it in settings/app by unchecking the box but eventually the launcher will close the app by default. Once that's accomplished by whichever sidebar that does it will lead the pack hands down! I have purchased two already and I'm going to go purchase yours now, I tried the free version but goodluck to you and this great app!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to olorolo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th October 2013, 05:10 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sofia

326 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by olorolo

Very nice app first of all I will give you my personal input from a consumers view. Overall it's a really nice app with a few features the other sidebars lack as in custom icon packs ability along with the ability to rearrange, those are awesome abilities! Where it's lacking is the ability to see running apps indicater and the ability to close them by swiping them away as the others offer, once this feature is added I believe this puts this sidebar in the front runners position. A main feature they all lack because of 4.3 I might add is the ability to hide the app notification from the notification panel. I understand that it needs to be there so the launcher doesn't close the app but there has to be a way to hide that without closing the app. I remove it in settings/app by unchecking the box but eventually the launcher will close the app by default. Once that's accomplished by whichever sidebar that does it will lead the pack hands down! I have purchased two already and I'm going to go purchase yours now, I tried the free version but goodluck to you and this great app!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Hello, thank you for your support!
The paid version has an "action" called "Running apps". You can add it by: (+) button -> Actions -> Running Apps
It lists all currently running apps and lets you kill unwanted ones by swiping them away.
I decided to implement it this way, because in my opinion it's less cluttered and it's usually faster to kill an app. If for example you put the "Running apps" on top of the sidebar, you can reach all running apps with a single tap. Otherwise, if you have added a lot of apps, you would have to scroll down and look for the active ones.

About the notification icon - unfortunately it is a matter of how Android is designed.
As you probably know already, prior to Android 4.3 apps were allowed to show fake (invisible) notification to prevent being killed, but Google changed that in 4.3, because they believe it's best for the user to be notified when something is running continuously in the background...

It's not possible to guarantee that Android will not kill the app when there is no notification and the app is currently not shown on the screen, because in that situation the app is considered to be running in background mode and Android decides that it is not critical if the app is killed.
After killing it Android (may) eventually automatically start the app again when there is more RAM available, but from my experience it takes more than 10 minutes for Android to restart the app, which is unacceptable for the user.

The developer can request from the operating system to try to (re-)launch the app let's say once every 60 seconds or even less, but this can significantly increase battery usage :/

In Ray I used the least intrusive approach that is currently possible - using low priority notification that does not show up in the statusbar. I may also add an option to completely disable the notification for Android 4.3+ devices, but of course if disabled, Android can decide to kill the app at any time.
The Following User Says Thank You to ra3al For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th October 2013, 03:54 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sofia

326 posts
Donate to Me
I have added a direct download link in the first post for those of you who don't have the Gogle Play Store on their devices.

For those who tried the app - please share your thoughts on ways of improvement and possible problems

Thank you!
15th October 2013, 06:29 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Themer
Flag Rafard - SP
Thanks Meter: 10,599

2,830 posts
Donate to Me
More
That´s my old friend ra3al... absolutely wonderful!!!!
Best Xda developer for sure!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to serajr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th October 2013, 11:40 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 395

651 posts
More
Hi ra3al,

First thanks for this wonderfull sidebar launcher!

I am testing it and found very usefull, but I think that you should add also the possibility to have a dock bar (by default available) and this will be the future laucher: most used apps on dock like phone, sms and app drawer, and favourite apps and shorcuts in sidebar.

Without that option everyone will keep his launcher...

What do you think?
16th October 2013, 12:03 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 5

44 posts
Some Requests....
I just purchased the Pro version of your sidebar launcher to test it out, because I love the quick access launchers of this type. Just a couple of things that I would like to see added...... First is the "Width" of the Sidebar feature only lets me reduce it to a certain width and stops, but when you open the sidebar the icons are almost half that width in size. I would like to shrink/reduce the sidebar width down very thin, to just about the width of the smallest icons that show. If you put the width slider all the way down to the smallest point, it should then go just a little bit further.
Also, I mainly decided to try your sidebar because of the "Folder" option. Most sidebars don't allow the setup of folders, I really like this option, but I was disappointed when I found that I could NOT set a Custom Icon for the Folder itself. The sidebar allows using Icon Sets, but I can't select a custom icon for the Folder. Please add this Feature to allow us to choose our Folder icons. it would really complete this app.
The last thing I noticed was a problem....the instructions mentioned something about long pressing an icon then swiping out of the sidebar to Delete the icon. This does NOT work for me at all. I have not found any way whatsoever, to Delete an app icon that I already placed in the bar.
or am I missing something.........
I'll post again after using this for a little while.
16th October 2013, 05:33 AM   |  #10  
Flag panadura
Thanks Meter: 183

114 posts
More
Great Work Awesome

The Following User Says Thank You to raZorXz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread