Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,599 Members 36,234 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Android Kit Kat FOR ALL!

Tip us?

crazy4creationstudios
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Lightbulb Android Kit Kat FOR ALL!

Okay, so the title might be a little misleading. But I want to start a super-project with a bunch of developers here on XDA to bring 4.4 to Legacy Devices. some of you may laugh at my idea, but the truth is PLENTY of us are either stuck at an old version or hate the custom ROM manufactures put in place on our devices. I recently received an old T mobile sidekick 4G, witch is stuck at Froyo. I want to compile android 4.4 when it releases, to be compatible with my SK4G. I know it seems ridiculous to work on such on old device, but i'm a "Developer on a budget". I'm not asking someone to work on a ROM for me, but it would be cool to get some direction on how to do this. I also want to work on Kit Kat ROM's for the HTC Wildfire S, Huawei Ascend Q, and the Kyocera Hydro Elite.

Thanks to anyone viewing this! If you would like to join my cause and add your device to the list, just comment your device!
Some genuises are the biggest idiots. Tohmas Edison coudn't tie his own shoes but he invented things we use everyday!

Current Devices: Republic Wireless Moto X, Nexus 7 2nd Gen.
Past Devices: Huawei Ascend Q, Samsung Sidekick 4G, HTC WildFire S, Huawei M835, Huawei M860

Current Android Devlopment Project: "Everyday"
Sub-Projects: Finding more coders, Preparing M835 for a test device
Estimated Release of "Everyday": Mid 2014
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crazy4creationstudios For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mouf32
Old
Thanks Meter 31

DONATE TO ME
I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I think the hardware limits you. I don't believe those phones have enough underneath the hood to run ICS and up.....

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium HD app
Current:
VZW LG G2 - VS980
Nexus 7 (2012) - Grouper

Retired:
VZW Galaxy Nexus - i515
VZW Original Droid - A855
ASUS Transformer - TF300T
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mouf32 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kilroy.
Old
Thanks Meter 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouf32 View Post
I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I think the hardware limits you. I don't believe those phones have enough underneath the hood to run ICS and up.....

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium HD app
If the rumours are true, kitkat is supposed to be far less hungry for hardware performance than JB or ICS. I use an old SE X10 mini pro running a similar processor to the wildfire S, and it was possible to run jb 4.1.2 on it, even though it was pretty laggy.

All in all, with a bit of luck(concerning the rumours), knowledge, compiling and time (not to forgetting a little naive thinking ), it might yet be possible to use kitkat on legacy devices. With that, I would like to add my device to the list and offer whatever help I can.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Kilroy. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

azoller1
Old
Thanks Meter 1,610

DONATE TO ME
My device isn't really a legacy device and will be easy to get 4.4 on, but if anyone needs help compiling or getting started on building for their device I'll definitely help

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2
DONATIONS WOULD BE NICE!!-- HERE

Device: LG Spectrum 16GB 4G
Rom: Running Beanstalk Builds
Kernel: Running My S-Kernel JB

Device: Asus TF300T 32GB
Rom: Running My Own CyanogenMod Builds
Kernel: Running Stock CM Kernel

MY DEV
GOO.IM FILES/FOLDERS
ANDROID FILE HOST DEVICES
SOURCEFORGE FILES

fr3ker
Old
Thanks Meter 126
How's mine?...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to fr3ker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

syahazu
Old
Thanks Meter 67

DONATE TO ME
This is far byond my imagination.. however , good idea though .. but im not a dev..

Sent from my E15i using xda premium
Don't find a perfect moment to make it ,,,...
Find a moment and make it perfect !!
The Following User Says Thank You to syahazu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

metalspring
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,339

DONATE TO ME
im no developer but i can tell you it that even if it does take less resources to run kitkat, its all about the drivers...
if kitkat uses drivers newer than what your phone has available then it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible to get it to work right

say for example kitkat requires updated drivers for wifi that are unavailable to your phone, you either find some workaround for it (much harder than it sounds) or you will not have wifi
or say kitkat uses newer graphics drivers your phone doesnt have, then you might not even be able to get the screen to work at all
if workarounds are needed it could take months and months to get it to work at all and with tons of bugs

just take the droid 1 for example, gingerbread wasnt too bad to port to it since there werent a ton of major changes but ics took nearly 6 months to get working and it was still buggy with all the workarounds and that was a very popular early developer device
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metalspring For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crazy4creationstudios
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Thanks for the in put, but I can figure something out....

Some genuises are the biggest idiots. Tohmas Edison coudn't tie his own shoes but he invented things we use everyday!

Past Devices: Huawei Ascend Q, Samsung Sidekick 4G, HTC WildFire S, Huawei M835, Huawei M860

crazy4creationstudios
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
My WFS has 4.1.2 with the ability to run 4.2.2. Same with the Huawei's

Roundtableprez
Old
Thanks Meter 77
You certainly won't manage to port it to the sidekick. They never even got cm because that phone uses really odd drivers etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

Tags
android 4.4 kitkat new version, htc wildifre s, huawei ascend, kit kat, kyocera hydro edge