- Cause Stock Android nor the Samsung Experience isn't for everybody.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (China/WCDMA) SM-N9006 doesn't officially have Google Play, Gmail, and the essential lot of Google Services.
- I find a lot of Samsung bloatware reduction and battery / call quality / and other improvements from ROOTING an android phone.
- Great to have better control over your phone and most system related tweaking apps need ROOT.
- Besides, what's cooler than a newer custom built ROM?
>>> If you know of any solid Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9006 ROMS do share with others on the threads.
AM I ROOTED?:
Most likely no if you bought this phone from official sources. To check if your rooted use this app "Root Checker" its available on the Google Play market. If your on the stock android for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (China/WCDMA) SM-N9006 then you would need to look for some alternatives on its stock markets. After rooting your device you can use this same app to check if your rooted or not. If you follow these steps you should be rooted and have a much cooler experience with your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9006 phone.
IS THERE A SAFER EASIER METHOD TO ROOT?
Yes, Mobile ODIN by @ChainfireXDA here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mobileodin.pro I haven't tried it, as of me writing this our Note3 variant is not supported. The price may be worth it down the line when its added to the list.
DO YOU INCLUDE THE FILES NEEDED?
Yes, I have them attached in the post but put links in the guide as well.
CAN YOU SUMMARIZE YOUR PROCRESS?
It involves you installing CWM recovery for our devices via ODIN and flashing "CF-AutoRoot" through CWM recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9006.
Go to all the sites with URLS listed on this guide and excellent team of developers on XDA. Also the team over at http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ and ZOL.com http://samsung.zol.com.cn/278/98_2772226.html for visual guide to the root progress as well.
- This guide assumes that you have the following phone model for the Note 3, and only this one.
Android 4.3 ( STOCK )
Go here to find out on how check your firmware for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 China Version SM-N9006 and update it: http://androidjinni.com/update-galax...roid-4-3-2417/
- DO NOT try this guide in any other Android devices it will work only with Galaxy Note 3 (China/WCDMA) SM-N9006.
- Check your device model number in: Settings » General » About Device
- This guide assumes that you have a factory unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9006 ( most of you should already as mine came unlocked ).
- This guide assumes that you are willing to take the risk of flashing your phone, I do not take responsibility for the mistakes you will make nor loss of your data.
- Try this guide at your own risk. It is very unlikely that you will damage your device if you following the instructions properly. Please check that you followed the instructions before posting comments.
- This guide assumes that your going to backup your data prior to proceeding.
- This guide assumes you have access to a Windows XP (or above) PC. I have not rooted on virtualized software.
- This guide assumes that you are aware about the Flash Counter and Samsung Knox Warranty issue. This method is not safe (it will void your warranty status).
- Once your device is rooted you may not be able to receive any future OTA updates. You should be able to flash firmware updates manually by looking for them on official forums.
- I am not responsible for dead-links from the sites containing files needed for this guide. I do not take ownership of such files, credit goes to respective developers.
- This guide was written while I was having a few beers, some minor grammar and spelling mistakes to be expected.
- This guide assumes you chose "English" as the devices default language during setup...my instructions are in English and phone language is as well ( not that it makes any big difference ).
1. Make sure you have at least 90% battery life remaining ( I recommend you fully charge the phone though - old habits die hard ).
2. Enable Debugging mode for your for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 China Version SM-N9006 in: Settings » General » About Device . Now tap the Build Number seven times. You will see a count down notification and a "your now a developer" which enables the Developer Options. Now go to Settings » General » Developer Options » USB Debugging ( check the USB Debuggging checkbox ).
3. Make sure you have unchecked the "Reactivation Lock" setting in: Settings » General » Security » Reactivation Lock
4. Make sure you use a PC running Windows XP and above with the latest USB Drivers for Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9006. Get drivers and other ADB tools from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2038555 You can skip this step if you have KIES installed on your PC.
5. Make sure use the latest version of ODIN. Get the current on here: https://hotfile.com/dl/248246506/848...v3.09.zip.html Save this file because you will need it in the rooting guide.
6. Make sure you have downloaded CWM recovery and do not extract the .tar file, you will need it for later. https://hotfile.com/dl/246835247/21b...0922).tar.html
7. Make sure you have downloaded "CF-AutoRoot", thanks to @ChainfireXDA here: http://download.chainfire.eu/360/CF-...tc-smn9009.zip and copy it to the SD card of the phone.
8. Make sure you backup your data. Since the phone is new I'm sure you won't need anything but your phone logs and sms. Head over here for instructions: http://androidjinni.com/how-to-take-...oid-phone-505/ . There's plenty of apps on Google Play to backup your phone and sms logs. Samsung Kies also helps.
ROOTING STEPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 China Version SM-N9006
- Step-1: Install the USB drivers for your Device from Point 4. above (I recommend you to have full admin rights when you install the .exe file) and test that your phone gets recognized when you plug it into your PC (you shouldn't get something like "driver failed"). You should be able to see the notification of a new device / drive if you were successful.
- Step-2: Unzip the ODIN files from Point 5. above ( there should be a folder with an ODIN..exe file ) which you would need to copy to that folder and its files to your drive ( desktop would do ). Run the ODIN..exe file. It will not list any connected devices.
- Step-3: Make sure you have backed data from your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 China Version SM-N9006 and you have at least 90% battery left. From this step you will be saying bye to your rooted phone state and possibly your important data.
- Step-4: Turn off your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 China Version SM-N9006 and make sure its completely powered down.
- Step-5: This part is a bit tricky for some people, you may need a try it several times. Its also a very crucial step. Make sure you have ODIN running on your PC. Place the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together. A warning screen will appear, like the one below:
Now press the Volume Up button to continue to enter Download Mode. Don't worry about the screen looking like something is broke like below.
When the phone is connected successfully an Added message will appear under Odin. Also, ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with COM port number, indicating successful connection.
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognize the device then re-install USB driver.
- Step-6: In Odin, click the PDA button and select the CWM recovery file with .tar extension from the location you on your pc you put it in.
- Step-7: Make sure that on Odin the "Verify Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time" checkboxes are selected. Uncheck the "Re-Partition" option.
- Step-8: When everything is set, click the Start button in Odin and wait for Odin to flash the custom recovery on your phone. DO NOT unplug your phone. Hopefully you see a green pass.
- Step-9: Once the flashing process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. And soon a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme-left box at the top of Odin indicating successful installation. Now unplug the USB cable from the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9006 to disconnect it from the computer.
- Step-10: Power off the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and boot it into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons together.
- Step-11: In CWM recovery, select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Navigate to the "CF-AutoRoot" zip file which was earlier copied to the SD card of the phone from Point.7 from the Pre-rooting section of this guide. Select it using the Power button and confirm installation
- Step-12: Power off the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and boot it into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons together
- Step-13: In CWM recovery, select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Navigate to the SuperSU zip file which was earlier copied to the SD card of the phone. Select it using the Power button and confirm the installation.
- Step-14: When the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting "reboot system now"
Congratulations your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9006 is now rooted. You can use the "Root Checker" app to verify this.