Chameleon OS (or ChaOS for short) is a custom Android ROM that gives the user more control than they can experience on any other Android ROM. Starting with a CyanogenMOD base, we customize each piece to give ultimate control while maintaining the simplicity we all love about Android. The most notable feature of ChaOS is the theme engine, which can apply different pieces of themes in a true mix-and-match style. The launcher has been completely overhauled with tons of options that you'd normally need to download a third-party launcher for, such as home screen previews, folder sorting, and folder icon styles. The Messaging app has also had some UI retouches, including messaging bubbles and quick emoji button.
The entire framework of ChaOS has been modified around the theme engine, allowing for custom fonts, boot animations (with animated preview), and themes. No longer do you have to try to find the perfect theme, with Chameleon OS you can patch it together with your favorite pieces from different themes. Messaging, Phone, Status Bar, icons, everything can be set completely individually from each other which provides the capabilities to completely re-imagine your phone. Creating themes for the ChaOS Theme Engine is superbly simple and has extreme versatility.
Even with all of the features we've currently implemented, ChaOS will continue to mature with even more refined settings and features. We will be completely open source and will welcome developers to join us, whether it be by maintaining a device or utilizing our gerrit review. Even if you're not a developer, your voice will not go unheard. We will continually poll our users for the most wanted features and do our best to implement them.
The efforts of creators of Chaos are concentrated on security too, you will find such solutions as:
- ChaOS Firewall – an app, that let the user to decide which of installed applications will have access to WiFi or/and mobile data connection.
- Permissions Management – with that menu option You can change any of default permissions of any installed apk.
My ROM is released „as is” – you don’t like it – don’t use it.
Any Galaxy Ace II ROM based on Android 4.2.x+ has to be installed over Android 4.1.x+ (stock ROM, CM-like customs). You will need custom recovery (temporary one is good enough)
It is strongly recommended to make a backup before installing of ANY ROM!
BUILD 0 [2013-10-18]
BUILD 1 [2013-10-22]
Issues (or simply not working):
- low In-call volume bug
- OG YouTube FC’s (not working at all)
- Titanium Backup FC’s (closes after some time of usage)
- Apollo FC’s sometimes when „next/previous song” button in status bar is pressed
- YouTube app causes system hangs
- ChaOS launcher is bit unstable
- You tell me
Build 1 [2013-10-22]
* Added STE multimedia patch (by OliverG96)
* Fixed camera (you can record movies now)
* Default launcher seems to not FC’s anymore (but still little buggy)
* BBS (Better Battery Statts) seems to work now
Build 0 [2013-10-18]
* Initial release
* STE multimedia patches (by OliverG96) are not implemented (camera is not working for example)
* Default (ChaOS) launcher FC’s a lot
* Better Battery Statts FC’s (not working at all)
* Low In-call volume bug
* OG YouTube FC’s (not working at all)
* Titanium Backup FC’s (closes after some time of usage)
* Apollo FC’s sometimes when „next/previous song” button in status bar is pressed
BUILD 0 [2013-10-23]
BUILD 5 - RC1 [2014-01-02]
Issues (or simply not workingJ):
- Superuser doesn’t seem to work. I think that is issue of SuperUser from ClockworkMod, because some people mentioned it is not working with Android 4.3 in Google Play comments. Install abovementioned fix. But you cannot use superuser option from settings (crashes).
- ChaOS launcher is bit unstable (because it’s in beta stage I think)
- You tell me
Build 0 [2013-10-23]
* Initial release
Build 5 [2014-01-02]
* Updated sources [Device and ROM: 2014-01-02]:
- Improved stability (thx @Rox, Teamcanjica, Percy-g2 and Munjeni)
- Fixed random reboot issue
- Added KSM feature
* Low in-call volume fix
* Set SD Card as removable (you can safely unmount now)
* Fixed 2g/2g+3g quick settings tile
* Fixed GPS. Hmmm... need tests, i think my Ace 2 wants to make me angry
1. Put ROM’s Zip file Zip z ROMem (and other zip files - optionally) on SD Card
2. Enter Recovery Mode
3. Pick options:
a) Wipe Data/Factory Reset
b) In „mounts and storage” choose: Format System
c) (just in case) Mount system partition (it supposed to be „unmount” visible)
4. Choose Install Zip (or similar, depends on recovery version)
a) Install ROM from SD card
5. (optional) installing Gapps and other add-ons
a) In „mounts and storage” Mount /system (as described above)
b) Choose install zip and install chosen add-on
c) repeat a and b points for any other add-on
6. Reboot Phone (first BOOT could take a while)
- Samsung - for a decent phone;
- CyanogenMOD Team, Chameleon OS Team – for a ROMs sources;
- TeamCanjica, dh.harald i SakuraDroid – for great contribution to codina device/kernel sources;
- everybody who deserves it, but i forgot because of my faulty memory.
Chameleon OS forum
Small Gapps Pack from XDA: Original thread
Ad blocking from XDA: Original thread