Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Return or Not to Return.....
Keep it because its great and hope and pray and hope again 3 25.00%
Return it 5 41.67%
Wait until the return 30 day period is up and see if the problem is solved - if not, return it. (although I will be GPS less until then - and i use my GPS loads) 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Globalsat SD-502 & The Universal - 2 Retrn or Not 2 Rtrn

OP CuT

8th December 2005, 01:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
Right, So I was stupid i admit it - I brought a SD-502 for my O2 Exec without really checking its compatability.

As we all know - The SD-502 does NOT work with the HTC Universal/JasJar/the other 5000 names it can be called. BUT heres the question:

Do I-

A) Return it and get the TomTom BT SIRF III instead

B) Keep it - because its great and works with brilliance in my XDA IIi (although I have just sold it) and hope that GlobalSat resolve the problem soon.

I really like the SD-502 (mostly because i havent got to charge it) but if they never bring out a driver because they find out it can never be fixed then im kinda screwed. I have phoned GlobalSat and they are well aware of the problem but say they cant be sure of when a driver will be released. The SD-502 has been out for a month and has had 2 new driver releases since - so, so far so good.

Let me know your comments.
8th December 2005, 02:07 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 5

477 posts
Return it - I can personally recommend the holux gpslim236 (sirf iii job as well).

Joe
8th December 2005, 04:33 PM   |  #3  

214 posts
I use the GPSlim 236 and i haveta say its one nifty lil bugger. Extremely happy with it. If i am not mistaken, its the smallest BT GPS available today and looks great too.

How much was the SD-502 for?
8th December 2005, 11:07 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
125 total (inc everything)
8th December 2005, 11:17 PM   |  #5  

86 posts
125 including software? I was going to say that was a bargain, but then I remembered that it doesn't work for you.
8th December 2005, 11:21 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Yeah yeah rub it in

Its not including the software - I have TomTom 5 seperate!

They have to release a driver to make the HTC universal work with it surely..............right?
9th December 2005, 02:03 AM   |  #7  
Exeter

97 posts
You can buy Holux GPSlim 236 for 76 (with P+P) so...

Regards
Chris
9th December 2005, 03:13 AM   |  #8  
New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 2

452 posts
GlobalSat BT-338 (SiRF III) works great with my Qtek 9000.
9th December 2005, 08:31 AM   |  #9  

86 posts
Was going to send the following, then by luck scrolled down 1 more line on the attached page. DRAT

I would reckon that as it says the drivers are compatible with WM5, that you would be within your rights to require the manufacturers to either make the drivers work on WM5, or to request them to take down their claim that the drivers are WM5 compatible. Otherwise then your only recourse is to return the card.

<<Found it.

Try this page: http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...work+globalsat

Contact the first poster and see what they are doing. I started looking at the SD-502 because of the post saying that the receiver works with the holder.

Looks like they released the driver 1 week ago
>>
Gareth
9th December 2005, 11:36 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
hehe - that was the post that made me buy the 502. Unfortunately the way he wrote the post seemed like it was tried and tested with his JasJar. I contacted him a few days ago to see what settings Alanplum used but he couldnt asnwer. Now I know why.

Obviously this is an easy mistake - as WM5 drivers should make it work. Yet what i have learnt from other threads/forums etc is that the drivers do work with other WM5 devices but its how the SDIO slot on the HTC Universal is accessed that makes it uncompatible with any drivers at the moment.

I really have hope that they might release something soon.............come on GlobalSat.....you need the extra sales for Christmas.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread