Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,116 Members 47,556 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Android 4.4 Galaxy S4 DISCUSSION

Tip us?

hecpilot
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I travel for a living. The removable battery sure comes in handy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

paravorheim
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecpilot View Post
I travel for a living. The removable battery sure comes in handy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
I hear this a lot, and at times I agree with you. However, what's stopping you from just plugging in an external battery pack every once in a while?

I've been debating getting an extra battery for my s4, and I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna stick with an external battery pack instead, just because it's more versatile in the long run.

ve6ay
Old
Thanks Meter 150

DONATE TO ME
I tend to agree that the external battery is better. Swapping the battery thus causes a reboot, which while not that long, can still be a pain in the buttocks.
73's de VE6AY / VE6MSP / K7BSD
Don't forget the THANKS button if I or someone else helped you !!!

[Phone]
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-i337M
  • ROM: Stock Rogers Galaxy S4 (Android 4.2.2 - MG1 Firmware)
[Tablet]Former phones:
- Samsung Nexus S
- Sony XPeria X10

hecpilot
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by paravorheim View Post
I hear this a lot, and at times I agree with you. However, what's stopping you from just plugging in an external battery pack every once in a while?

I've been debating getting an extra battery for my s4, and I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna stick with an external battery pack instead, just because it's more versatile in the long run.
I like the idea of the external battery, but for me that means keeping the two devices tethered, something that can be a pain while transiting airports. I know... where there is a will, there can be a way. Maybe I'll give it a try.

I also like being able to replace the internal battery once it can no longer hold its charge.

And... I love having the internal SD card... So, S4 for now, and maybe Nexus soon... great choices.

ve6ay
Old
Thanks Meter 150

DONATE TO ME
Internal memory card is a must. It's why I don't own any ASUS or LG Nexus products. I have an old Samsung Nexus S and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and both have memory card slots, so I'm set there.

That's one thing Samsung did right when they did it.

As for the external battery, when you're transitioning, you just put them back in your bag, unplugged, and call it good. Get on the plane and plug back in if needed. They're pretty fast charge.
73's de VE6AY / VE6MSP / K7BSD
Don't forget the THANKS button if I or someone else helped you !!!

[Phone]
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-i337M
  • ROM: Stock Rogers Galaxy S4 (Android 4.2.2 - MG1 Firmware)
[Tablet]Former phones:
- Samsung Nexus S
- Sony XPeria X10

DreenHotdog
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ve6ay View Post
Internal memory card is a must. It's why I don't own any ASUS or LG Nexus products. I have an old Samsung Nexus S and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and both have memory card slots, so I'm set there.

That's one thing Samsung did right when they did it.

As for the external battery, when you're transitioning, you just put them back in your bag, unplugged, and call it good. Get on the plane and plug back in if needed. They're pretty fast charge.
If some magical carrier would just release a phone with beautiful build quality, Google Edition ROM (AOSP), a removable/external battery with MicroSD slots (multiple), and gave us access to the first new build releases of Google's software, this would be the phone that I would be constantly buying every year. Give us awesome build quality like the iPhone 5S or HTC One or Xperia Z1, with all of these hardware features, and you'd have a damn solid phone. But why can't any of the manufacturers get this idea of a perfect phone in their heads? Dunno... I'd say Google might be headed in that direction but you never really know.

Speaking of cool perfect phones, I'm really thinking about that Motorola Ara or whatever its called. (That block phone sort of thing.) But you know whatever, we all have our own little ideas.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Zorachus
Old
Thanks Meter 252
I just upgraded two weeks ago to this S4, and am on MF3 So I will never see 4.4 on this phone.

So pissed off at ATT for locking this phone down so tight now. I have owned several other Samsung phones on ATT before, and they were easily rooted and custom recovery installed so fast; Note 2, Galaxy S2, Nexus-S, and original Galaxy S1.

Why ATT doing this now ?

But I am still dreaming we'll get a true unlock on MF3 sooner than later ? This phone is the #1 selling Android phone of 2013, someone will find the exploit eventually ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
HTC One M8 - Glacial Silver- ATT
SinLessROM GPe v3.4.1 | Google Play Edition | 4.4.4
Speck Candy Shell case

Galaxy S4 - white AT&T
Stock, no root or ROM's, thanks ATT

HiTideBlastoise
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Yes AT&T is slow with providing updates, but I don't doubt that Galaxy S4 will get the 4.4 update. It will take time but 4.4 will come.

upndwn4par
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9056
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugmankc View Post
the devs can root them all
Don't be so sure about that....

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...id-4-4-kitkat/

Zorachus
Old
Thanks Meter 252
It did take Samsung and ATT approx 3 to 4 months to get the 4.3 release out, after first coming out for the Nexus line in July.

So we should expect 4.4 in 4 months or less.

But...in 4 months, that's the rumored Galaxy S5 launch, tons of rumors saying Samsung wants the S5 out early 2014, most picking February as the launch.

I see the new S5 the first 4.4 Samsung phone. And then 4.4 on Note 3 after that, then the S4.

HTC One M8 - Glacial Silver- ATT
SinLessROM GPe v3.4.1 | Google Play Edition | 4.4.4
Speck Candy Shell case

Galaxy S4 - white AT&T
Stock, no root or ROM's, thanks ATT