Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,145 Members 45,478 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

IMPORTANT: HTC Dev Unlock for Bootloader Disables Fingerprint Sensor

Tip us?

navalynt
Old
(Last edited by navalynt; 25th November 2013 at 10:31 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 592
Default IMPORTANT: HTC Dev Unlock for Bootloader Disables Fingerprint Sensor

UPDATE 11/25/2013 - scotty1223 posted a method by which you can change your UNLOCKED flag back to LOCKED which then re-enables the fingerprint senser. I'd recommend to just avoid HTCDev.com for unlocking and go straight to this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2540004

On a personal note:
It makes sense really. Your fingerprint is like a unique password that you cannot change so HTC is doing everything prudent to protect that password for you. I don't see a problem with this personally.

On a technical note:
I believe the TZ partition (mmcblk0p11) has a check for whether the device is LOCKED, UNLOCKED, or RELOCKED. If it is anything other than LOCKED then the fingerprint scanner is automatically disabled.

I believe there are two possible ways to re-enable the fingerprint scanner:
  1. Issue the command fastboot oem lock from the bootloader then run a factory RUU for your carrier
  2. Hex edit the TZ partition to remove the unlock check, then fastboot oem lock and subsequently unlock the device again
The first method would most likely require that you also flash the stock recovery from fastboot before relocking.
The second method would require S-OFF to function as it is very unlikely that mmcblk0p11 is writable with S-ON.

I am by no means an expert with HBOOT or TZ so I may be way off base here, but that's how I see it right now. I'll see if I can get a warning posted in the threads about the fact that unlocking the bootloader with HTC Dev method will disable the fingerprint scanner.
Current Phone: HTC One M8 (2014) (AT&T 32GB, Unlocked Bootloader)
* ROM: ViperOneM8 (latest version)
* KERNEL: Stock (best battery life and compatibility)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to navalynt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

B-Man2005
Old
Thanks Meter 212
yes ... pretty sad situation here... dont want to lock it again at the moment ... maybe i will relock it when i found a good rom ( i hope there will be roms for this phone, mike wont do one )

damn its a great phone !!

HTC ONE MAX International
Android Base 4.4.2 / HTC Base NU Sense6 / 2.61 Firmware / S-OFF /

hectorz321
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Man2005 View Post
yes ... pretty sad situation here... dont want to lock it again at the moment ... maybe i will relock it when i found a good rom ( i hope there will be roms for this phone, mike wont do one )

damn its a great phone !!
relocking didn't work for me

garyfl
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I can confirm relocking dosent enable it.

sgt. slaughter
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2,899
Odd HTC would put a check on that function there....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

pradeepvizz
Old
Thanks Meter 626

DONATE TO ME
@navalynt i have an app which also does not work after boot-loader unlocking.

This app is "Du Transport" and it is an app which is used to replace smart cards in pubic transport. This requires a special sim from the telecom provider and with this SIM as authentication the app uses NFC to replace the smart cards.

i think it goes back to the secure partition which you talked about. your solution logically makes sense that it's a bug in the firmware/hboot or where ever which needs to be fixed rather than these individual apps fixed.

This should have also behaved the same way as in HTC One.

For the s-off solution, do you think we could we just reuse the tools/scripts which were created for HTC One?
HTC One MAX ||| HTC ONE > HOX+ > Nexus 7 > HOX > Xperia Arc > Xperia X10 Mini > K810 > K550 > K750
The Following User Says Thank You to pradeepvizz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pradeepvizz
Old
Thanks Meter 626

DONATE TO ME
Has someone here contacted HTC or know if HTC/HTCDev are aware or working on this issue?

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

I am not sure if this is a bug or that's the way it is meant to work. we could possibly contact HTC/HTC Dev for a fix about it if we are sure it is a bug. i have read that HTC dev's attitude is bad but we could possibly contact the service center managers and demand a new phone under warranty.

I am not worried warranty and BL unlocks as i have dealt with such a situation before.
HTC One MAX ||| HTC ONE > HOX+ > Nexus 7 > HOX > Xperia Arc > Xperia X10 Mini > K810 > K550 > K750

scumpicule
Old
Thanks Meter 378

DONATE TO ME
Hello

So the solution to make it enable state again is to flash a RUU ?
Don't Forget To Hit If I Helped You !

pradeepvizz
Old
Thanks Meter 626

DONATE TO ME
so i contacted HTC customer care via the website and i got this response.
Quote:
Thank you for contacting HTC support.

As per your mail, we understand that after unlocking the bootoader of your HTC One Max, the finger print sensor is not working.

In this regards, we request you to please visit our nearest service-center to resolve the issue.
We would like to inform you that as, you have manually rooted and installed customized OS, the warranty of your device may get void, kindly provide us with the device details like IMEI or Serial number and your location so we can direct you to the service-center accordingly.
You can get the IMEI number by dialing *#06# or you can get the Serial number or IMEI number on the invoice or you can find the IMEI number or Serial number on your HTC handset box as well.

Please read the disclaimer given below:

Disclaimer: Unlocking your device allows you to install custom Operating Systems (“OS”) onto your device. Custom OS’s are not tested as thoroughly as your original OS, and unlocking your device may void all or parts of your warranty. HTC disclaims any and all liability for proper functioning of your device after the bootloader has been unlocked and for data lost in the unlocking process. To prevent unauthorized access to your data, unlocking the bootloader will delete all personal data from your device including applications, text messages and personalized settings.

sgt. slaughter
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2,899
Send you to service center to have RUU flashed.... Has nothing to do with custom OS... I'd hit up Jason and Mo from HTC on Twitter.... likely get a better logical response there.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk