Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,332 Members 53,752 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KitKat 4.4 Update] Nexus 10 won't Get Translucent Navigation and Notification Bars!

Tip us?

JosephRaphael
Old
(Last edited by JosephRaphael; 12th February 2014 at 12:07 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Tablet [KitKat 4.4 Update] Nexus 10 won't Get Translucent Navigation and Notification Bars!

Sadly, Google Nexus 10 will not get the Translucent Navigation and Notification Bars with the Android 4.4.1 KitKat update, which allow the wallpaper to go full screen from top to bottom like in the Nexus 5.

Google devs Disabled the Translucent bars on Nexus 10 (Manta) because it "performs poorly on this device"... 2GB Ram and a powerful Quad-core Mali TS04 GPU and it performs poorly ?! May be because of the High-res display, I personally think it's a GPU issue.

I know not everyone cares about a the "Translucent bar" issue that can easily be reverted, but what I am trying to find out is a reasonable explanation from Google regarding this matter.

Manta source code includes the following code listed on [config.xml] which contains the device configurations, Screenshot below too.

Code:
Select Code
 <!-- Translucent status & navigation bars perform poorly on this device -->
<bool name="config_enableTranslucentDecor">false</bool>

* Update [5-Nov]: I have contacted Google and currently awaiting a response, Hopefully I will get one...

* Google Reply [8-Nov]: Google's reply was a little disappointing but at least they promised to tell the users if they will "remove" any feature from the update, which is good. Here is the email:

Quote:
Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Google, I'd be happy to help you out with your question on the KitKat update. I'll do my best to provide you with a solution.

Unfortunately, at this point in time, we can only provide information for updates that are supported by your device right now. Google will let all of their customers about what the new update includes. You will not be left in the dark on what Google added/removed from the update.

Regards,

The Google Team

Latest KitKat 4.4 build for Nexus 10 is (KRT16S)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-11-02-12-57-53.jpg
Views:	2872
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	2368685  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JosephRaphael For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

VivaErBetis
Old
Thanks Meter 614
Unbelievable! Hope they give us, at least, the option to activate it.
Google nexus4 - LG E960 [mako·16GB·rev_10·210K·fast]
·BOOTLOADER: MAKOZ30d (occam)
·RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.1.0
·KERNEL: 3.4.0-perf-ga6edd5e (occam)
·ROM: Android KitKat 4.4.4 KTU84P (occam) Rooted
·BASEBAND: M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1701.03 (occam)

Google nexus10 - Samsung GT-P8110 [manta·32GB·H/W 8]
·BOOTLOADER: MANTAMF01 (mantaray)
·RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.1.0
·KERNEL: 3.4.39-gd52af31 (mantaray)
·ROM: Android KitKat 4.4.4 KTU84P (mantaray) Rooted

The Following User Says Thank You to VivaErBetis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Warren_Orange
Old
Thanks Meter 86
That's disappointing. Will the devs be able to enable it?

JosephRaphael
Old
(Last edited by JosephRaphael; 3rd November 2013 at 06:14 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren_Orange View Post
That's disappointing. Will the devs be able to enable it?
Yes, all they have to do is to change the manta source code

Code:
Select Code
<bool name="config_enableTranslucentDecor">false</bool>
to

Code:
Select Code
<bool name="config_enableTranslucentDecor">true</bool>

Matthileo
Old
Thanks Meter 52
“Sorry guys, your high end device just can't support what is essentially an extremely minor change. Don't worry, there's good news: you can throw down another $500 on the new nexus 10 when it comes out. We promise to fully support it.“

[sent from my nexus 10]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matthileo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Indiwiz
Old
Thanks Meter 70
That's crazy, I have transparent nav bar and status bar on my home screen thru PA. Idk what Google is doing, but the translucent bars work perfectly the way PA is doing it.

lvnatic
Old
Thanks Meter 92
The way things have been going with android lately, I'm surprised we're getting kit kat at all. This is most likely my last nexus device, maybe even android.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005, knox 0x1

Running latest leanKernel

Previous devices:

Nexus 10
Nexus S
HTC Desire
The Following User Says Thank You to lvnatic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

schmolch
Old
Thanks Meter 21
The Google experience launcher also performs quite poorly on my n10 while it runs perfectly smooth on my n4.
N4 / Z Ultra / N10

JosephRaphael
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolch View Post
The Google experience launcher also performs quite poorly on my n10 while it runs perfectly smooth on my n4.
I think it either the GPU or the Screen resolution 2560x1600 that cause the problem, but why ?

Matthileo
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Actually, now that I think about it I have an alternate theory.

There's a very good chance I'm off base here, but on my Nexus 10 I've noticed that there are some very occasional graphical glitches ( back lights flickering, and horizontal lines) that have to do with things been overlaid on top of each other. Maybe the transparency was causing similar graphical glitches. That said, if that is the reason they decided to leave it out then Google really screwed up here. They need to fix the underlying problem, not just remove transparency from the status bar.

[sent from my nexus 10]

The Following User Says Thank You to Matthileo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]