[APP][MOD]Hangouts v2.0 VZW

Search This thread

Johnson90512

Feb 7, 2010
Atlanta
I was able to get it to install by backing up the original hangouts app then removing it from data/app then moved the modified one to system/app and changed permissions, then rebooted. The app worked but unfortunately mms isn't working, I haven't been able to receive mms messages they don't appear in hangouts or the default messaging app. I'm running NOS GPE.

Sent from my DLX using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I did exactly this, and whenever I restart, hangouts isn't in my app drawer. Couldn't install or anything. When you move it to system/app and restart does it show up in your app drawer?

jgraves12

Mar 14, 2013
It wouldn't show up for me until I renamed it to Hangouts.apk. maybe try that?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Johnson90512

Feb 7, 2010
Atlanta
Did you change the permissions after moving it to /system/app?

I thought I did, but what are the permissions supposed to be, maybe I'm not setting them to the right thing. So I put it in system/app/ then change the permission then restart, and I then it should just show up or I should be able to install it or what? Because the last times I've done it, nothing shows up when I restart it: :)

Thank you for working with me

I thought I did, but what are the permissions supposed to be, maybe I'm not setting them to the right thing. So I put it in system/app/ then change the permission then restart, and I then it should just show up or I should be able to install it or what? Because the last times I've done it, nothing shows up when I restart it: :)

Easy answer is to check some other apps permissions. It should be all for owner, read for group, none for other. If using chmod, the chmod code would be 740.

Johnson90512

Feb 7, 2010
Atlanta
Easy answer is to check some other apps permissions. It should be all for owner, read for group, none for other. If using chmod, the chmod code would be 740.

Ok, I will try this in a minute and report back!

Alright, I changed permissions just like you said, and confirmed that this matched the other apks in there, I restarted and nothing changed :/

Last edited:

Bigandrewgold

Mar 26, 2011
I just installed this and it works perfectly.

I just deleted the old app then copy/pasted your app into system/app. I didnt have to change the name or the permission or anything like that.

I can now send and recieve mms in hangouts.

Thanks for the modded app Joel!

junior.youngman

Mar 2, 2010
Red Lion Pa
Title says it all it's the hangouts 2.0 app modified so that MMS for verizon actually works, I just added verizon's apn's back to the apns.xml in /res/xml/apns.xml because google left them out......

heres the link to the app: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23203820527945732

for some reason i can't get it to install just by pressing install. i had to remove the hangouts/talk app....and then had to use es file explorer to move the modded hangouts app to /system/app/ then it worked. but yea i can finally send mms now :)

What are the chances you can add the AT&T APNs to this and provide the app link? it seems to have sprint and t-mobile already. i dont know enough about decompiling apks to do myself

renzo.olivares

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 6, 2011
i dont need the apns just tell me what carriers and i'll add them, tell me in the next day, don't want to update 3-4 times for one carrier lol, also you must make 100%%%% sure that the original hangouts/talk app is removed from your before you try to install in /system/app/ and /data/app/

Reactions: Gunthermic

Gunthermic

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2011
i dont need the apns just tell me what carriers and i'll add them, tell me in the next day, don't want to update 3-4 times for one carrier lol, also you must make 100%%%% sure that the original hangouts/talk app is removed from your before you try to install in /system/app/ and /data/app/

Awesome find sir!!! You get my cookie of the year.. Been trying to get it to work myself..

Could you add Straight Talk? There is an att lte APN and a T-Mobile APN for straight talk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

DevenStonow

Aug 19, 2012
Is there a way to be able to send MMS without having to manually turn mobile data on/off? When I'm on wifi I like to have it off, but with this I have to turn it on manually to send/receive MMS

volfan22

Apr 3, 2011
Is there a way to be able to send MMS without having to manually turn mobile data on/off? When I'm on wifi I like to have it off, but with this I have to turn it on manually to send/receive MMS

I would really like to know that answer to this too.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Jaggar345

May 24, 2012
Amston
For those that can't get mms to work I was able to install this over my current version no problem and mms seems to be working fine from what I have used it for.

Grab it here: https://db.tt/LF7pJC9G

Sent from my dlx using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

usopen

Jun 19, 2010
Can someone help please. Every time I try to install this app it says installed but needs google play services update then when I update google play services it says insufficient storage available. I have wiped the data in those apps, uninstalled updates, tried moving to system app/ just about everything possible to no avail.

Actually any app that I have to manually update I get the insufficient storage error, all auto update apps work fine

Last edited:
For those that can't get mms to work I was able to install this over my current version no problem and mms seems to be working fine from what I have used it for.

Grab it here: https://db.tt/LF7pJC9G

I installed that apk over existing. At least the fc doesn't happen when trying to send mms. Still fails when sending the mms. It's because straight talks apn isn't in the apns.xml file so it will always fail...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Title says it all it's the hangouts 2.0 app modified so that MMS for verizon actually works, I just added verizon's apn's back to the apns.xml in /res/xml/apns.xml because google left them out......

heres the link to the app: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23203820527945732

for some reason i can't get it to install just by pressing install. i had to remove the hangouts/talk app....and then had to use es file explorer to move the modded hangouts app to /system/app/ then it worked. but yea i can finally send mms now :)

What are your guys thoughts on hangouts using as sms instead of sense sms ?

i'm using it right now, multipart sms is all i'm missing other than that i like the UI better of hangouts
    What are your guys thoughts on hangouts using as sms instead of sense sms ?

It's definitely better than CM's built in messenger.