This guide assumes that you have rooted your tablet.
Instructions to do so can be found here:
Disabling Apps can have a significant performance improvement. A lot of apps startup on boot and use a little bit of ram to cache. Disabling the apps/services you don't need will free up some of the ressources.
Keep the apps you need and if you are not sure rather keep an app more. You can disable a lot more if you know what you are doing. You can either disable/freeze using Titanium Backup Pro or ROM Toolbox Lite. If you do it that way the apps will still be enabled if you create a second user on your tablet. You should rename the apks to .bak in /system/app then they should be gone globally. You can do this with the free ES File Explorer, just make sure to select root "Root Explorer" under Tools and to mount /system/app as r/w through the menu you get by clicking on "Root Explorer".
This is the list of apps you can safely disable.
- AllShare Cast Dongle S/W Update
- AllShare ControlShare Service
- AllShare FileShare Service
- ANT HAL Service [ANT is needed for usb devices like Endomondo etc. If you don't have it you can disable it]
- ANT Radio Service
- ANT+ Plugins
- Google Play Magazines
- Group Play
- KLMS Agent
- KNOX (29.1.1 KB)
- KNOX (4.18 MB)
- Knox Notification Manager
- KNOX Store
- My Magazine
- My Magazine Here & Now
- S Finder
- S Translator
- S Voice
- Samsung Account
- Samsung Apps
- Samsung Apps Widget
- Samsung Backup Provider
- Samsung Calendar Sync Adapter
- Samsung Cloud Data Relay
- Samsung Cloud Quota
- Samsung Contact Sync Adapter
- Samsung Content Agent
- Samsung Hub
- Samsung Link
- Samsung SNote3 SyncAdapter
- Samsung Syncadapters
- Samsung Video
- Samsung WatchON
- SamsungHub Updater
- Screen Saver
- Share music
- Share Video
- Story Album
- Story Album Widget
- TouchWiz Home [make sure you have another launcher installed!!!]
Keep these under all circumstances:
Increasing the speed of animations can make it feel faster, because you are not waiting on the animations to finish. Disabling the animations can make it feel very fast, but if you like animations you might as well keep them.
To be able to change the animation speed you first need to enable developer options:
- Open settings
- Navigate to General -> About device
- Tap on "Build number" 7 times
- You should get a notification "You are now 4,3,2,1 taps away from being a developer
- Open up the developer settings
- Scroll down to "Drawing"
- You can change Window/Transition/Animator animation scale. I would advise setting them to 0.5 or disabling them
This launcher is one of the fastest. If you go into "Nova Settings" under "Look and feel" you can set the "Scroll Speed" and "Animation Speed" to Faster than light. This will make the tab feel like a rocket.
Customize Apps for MultiWindow
- Download and install the Xposed Framework
- Open Xposed installer
- Go into Framework
- Select Install/Update
- Download/Install MultiWindowManager
- Open it and select the apps you want to be able to use in MultiWindow
- Now when you press on edit in MultiWindow you can select all your apps
Factory Resetting / Updating to newest firmware
There have been several updates from samsung which drastically increase the performance. Make sure you are on the newest available firmware. Also if you are experiencing lag or any issues it might be a good idea to start from scratch. You can search on Sammobile for your device number and download the firmwares. You can also download firmwares from other countries and flash them with Odin. For example I'm using ML1 from Taiwan atm even though I'm in Germany. Just be aware that there might be differences between the firmwares. But make 100% sure that your device number matches. You have to extract the file you downloaded and put the tar.md5 file into the "pda" slot. This will wipe your internal sd card completely, including your data, so backup because everything will be gone.
If this helped you let me know and if you have suggestions I can add them to the OP.